Landon Collins - to the Giants in the 1st pick of the 2nd Round

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Was talking to a few friends about the draft over the weekend - most were surprised that the Giants traded up to get Collins. The Giants don't have any Alabama players on their roster - well, they do now.

I was really hoping the new Bears coaching staff had some common sense; if you want to compete for a super bowl, get yourself some Saban coached players. I was highly disappointed that despite the need for a Safety, the bears passed over the opportunity for Landon Collins.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Landon Collins - where do you think he will go?

That's that was another perplexing thing about the the 1st round. 2 players were drafted who ended the CFB season with torn ACLs. I know that AK's was more extensive than Gurleys or the OT from TAMU. But thought it interesting they're getting first round money with that type of injury even with the advances made in recovery time with ACLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arie's problems have been serial and they have affected his mobility...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Landon Collins - where do you think he will go?

Exceptions can be made.
When I was there, NYU actually had a competitive basketball team, nationally. Although they were the fifth school to establish a football team, after Princeton, Rutgers, and Columbia, they discontinued basketball in 1971. They were known as the "Raging Violets," their mascot was a bobcat...

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014
I was really hoping the new Bears coaching staff had some common sense; if you want to compete for a super bowl, get yourself some Saban coached players. I was highly disappointed that despite the need for a Safety, the bears passed over the opportunity for Landon Collins.
Does this hold up? A few of his guys have won Super Bowls, but they weren't major contributors on those teams outside of Courtney Upshaw

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Does this hold up? A few of his guys have won Super Bowls, but they weren't major contributors on those teams outside of Courtney Upshaw
Lets see!

Super Bowl XLIX - New England Pats (Dont'a Hightower)[28] vs Seattle Seahawks (James Carpenter, Jesse Williams, Kevin Norwood) [24]
Super Bowl XLVIII - Seattle Seahawks (James Carpenter, Jesse Williams)[43] vs Denver Broncos (n/a)[8]
Super Bowl XLVII- Baltimore Ravens (Courtney Upshaw, Terrance Cody) [34] vs San Fran 49'ers (n/a) [31]
Super Bowl XLVI- New York Giants (n/a) [21] vs New England Pats (Brandon Deadrick) [17]
Super Bowl XLV- Green Bay Packers* (n/a) [31] vs Pittsburg Steelers (n/a) [25]
Super Bowl XLIV- New Orleans Saints* (n/a) [31] vs Indianapolis Colts (n/a) [17]
Super Bowl XLIII- Pittsburg Steelers* (n/a) [27] vs Arizona Cardinals (n/a) [23]

*Fernando Bryant(XLIII), Deshea Townsend(XL, XLIII), Charlie Peprah(XLV), and Roman Harper(XLIV) weren't coached by Coach Saban, but are Alabama Alumni.

LSU Players with super bowl wins include:
Corey Webster DB (NY Giants XLII, XLVI)
Joeseph Addai RB (Indy Colts XLI)
Rohan Davey QB (N.E Pats XXXVIII, XXXIX)
Jarvis Green DL (N.E Pats XXXVIII, XXXIX)
Howard Green DL (G.B Packers XLV)
Michael Clayton WR (N.Y Giants XLVI)
Devery Henderson WR (N.O Saints XLIV)
Marquise Hill DL (N.E Pats XXXIX)

I didn't include the LSU players that made a super bowl appearance without a win, I'm sure there are a few of those guys as well. Early Doucet WR for the Arizona Cardinals come to mind. Les Miles of course had a hand with a few of those guys, but I think we can make a strong argument that Coach Saban taught a few things to those men about football. It looks to me given the acquired data that Super Bowl teams have their fair share of Saban coached players, and it disappoints me that da bears failed to draft a great one in Landon Collins.

Last edited:

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014
Lets see!

Super Bowl XLIX - New England Pats (Dont'a Hightower)[28] vs Seattle Seahawks (James Carpenter, Jesse Williams, Kevin Norwood) [24]
Super Bowl XLVIII - Seattle Seahawks (James Carpenter, Jesse Williams)[43] vs Denver Broncos (n/a)[8]
Super Bowl XLVII- Baltimore Ravens (Courtney Upshaw, Terrance Cody) [34] vs San Fran 49'ers (n/a) [31]
Super Bowl XLVI- New York Giants (n/a) [21] vs New England Pats (Brandon Deadrick) [17]
Super Bowl XLV- Green Bay Packers* (n/a) [31] vs Pittsburg Steelers (n/a) [25]
Super Bowl XLIV- New Orleans Saints* (n/a) [31] vs Indianapolis Colts (n/a) [17]
Super Bowl XLIII- Pittsburg Steelers* (n/a) [27] vs Arizona Cardinals (n/a) [23]

*Fernando Bryant(XLIII), Deshea Townsend(XL, XLIII), Charlie Peprah(XLV), and Roman Harper(XLIV) weren't coached by Coach Saban, but are Alabama Alumni.

LSU Players with super bowl wins include:
Corey Webster DB (NY Giants XLII, XLVI)
Joeseph Addai RB (Indy Colts XLI)
Rohan Davey QB (N.E Pats XXXVIII, XXXIX)
Jarvis Green DL (N.E Pats XXXVIII, XXXIX)
Howard Green DL (G.B Packers XLV)
Michael Clayton WR (N.Y Giants XLVI)
Devery Henderson WR (N.O Saints XLIV)
Marquise Hill DL (N.E Pats XXXIX)

I didn't include the LSU players that made a super bowl appearance without a win, I'm sure there are a few of those guys as well. Early Doucet WR for the Arizona Cardinals come to mind. Les Miles of course had a hand with a few of those guys, but I think we can make a strong argument that Coach Saban taught a few things to those men about football. It looks to me given the acquired data that Super Bowl teams have their fair share of Saban coached players, and it disappoints me that da bears failed to draft a great one in Landon Collins.
So like I said, a few of his Bama guys (I thought that was implied) have won rings, but not many of them were significant contributors. Carpenter and Upshaw were probably the most important to their team. I dont think you can even count Williams who hasnt played at all. Certainly not enough to make the claim that they are the key to building a winning team.

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
So like I said, a few of his Bama guys (I thought that was implied) have won rings, but not many of them were significant contributors. Carpenter and Upshaw were probably the most important to their team. I dont think you can even count Williams who hasnt played at all. Certainly not enough to make the claim that they are the key to building a winning team.

Just give it some time, I think the trend will continue as our guys gain some years and experience in the league.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They should have traded back in the first round and taken Collins if they felt he was a reach that early in the draft. They got a great WR in White, but they need a SS in the worst way. Bears defense last year was horrible.

I only have two friends who are Bears fans, and they are both upset about their draft decisions.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hightower is pretty important to the Pats defense. The last 3 SB champions have all had an Alabama player who was an integral part of the team and important to their success.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Carpenter was important, but the story of the game in 48 was how bad Denver's defense was and how good seattle's was. I was one of the only people at work that said Denver would lose by double digits due to their defense. Had the pats not been plagued by injuries there would be back to back pats vs hawks sbs. I think Hightower is very important and he was one of the three guys that made the pats an elite defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.