Yeldon to the Jags

bamajag600

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2006
Hawaii
The Jags aren't a terrible franchise. Yes, the last 8 years have been pretty bad, but it's not like there's not been some success.

Two AFC championship appearances in the first five years of existence. Multiple playoff appearances from 1996. Then after all the success and a couple of down years, Wayne Weaver bowed to local media pressure -and by default, fan pressure- and made easily the biggest mistake in franchise history: fired Tom Coughlin
As a fellow Jags fan that's spent the last decade in Louisiana, California, and Virginia; I understand the frustration of trying to explain to other NFL fans that Jacksonville was pretty dang good for a number of years. Problem is, the Jags haven't won a division title since 1999; had good years in 05 and 07, but has never won the AFC South.

Hopefully this new regime will help turn the franchise around. I believe TJ can be a major part of that!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
This couldn't have worked out much better for TJ for many of the reasons already stated. Jacksonville is one of the few spots in the NFL where he can step right in and have a significant role from the get go. I'm also surprised he went as early as he did. I fully believe he has the talent to do as well as any back drafted this year.
I agree in that I think he will do as good or better than Gurley or Gordon simply because he is stepping into the right situation. My nephew claims Dennard Robinson will be hard to beat out but there is no way Robinson can block and catch in the open field like Yeldon can. I definitely think he will be the starter when the Jags open the season.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I agree in that I think he will do as good or better than Gurley or Gordon simply because he is stepping into the right situation. My nephew claims Dennard Robinson will be hard to beat out but there is no way Robinson can block and catch in the open field like Yeldon can. I definitely think he will be the starter when the Jags open the season.
Denard is more of a situational back, or a complementary player. He's not built to be an every down back, and he doesn't have that pedigree. he and TJ yeldon should be a nice 1-2 punch, but I don't but Robinson as a starting RB at the NFL level because he had a couple of decent games.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I'm excited to see all of our guys get picked up and do well and I think Yeldon is in a great spot here in JAX.

Gerhardt just isn't the guy and Robinson is more of a scat back so I think he has got a real opportunity to be a good player on a young team and make some meaningful contributions.

On a side note, what I'm hearing from folks supposedly in the know is that Blackmon isn't even trying to make a comeback and the Jags have pretty much written him off FWIW.
Get us some Jags tix and I will come down for the weekend to see TJ run wild. :biggrin:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to the Jags' website, TJ will be the starter this season. Link

Last year, the Jaguars signed running back Toby Gerhart to a three-year, $10.5 million contract. They moved Denard Robinson from “offensive weapon” to running back. And they drafted running back Storm Johnson.

This year, none of those players will be the Jaguars’ starting running back.

Instead, rookie second-round draft pick T.J. Yeldon has been impressive in Organized Team Activities and is expected to be the starter as a rookie, the team’s website reports.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Yeah, I am a little surprised the Jags have already come out saying Yeldon is the starter before he takes a single preseason snap. I figure they would want to name him second to provide motivation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

T.J. Yeldon: 'I've got myself as last' on depth chart

The Jacksonville Jaguars drafted running back T.J. Yeldon to be the workhorse tailback they'd been missing.

The songs from OTAs and minicamp have praised the rookie's ability both in the run and passing game. However, Yeldon told Around The NFL on Tuesday he'd currently place himself at the bottom of the running back depth chart.

"I got myself as last, and I'm still trying to work my way up to the top," Yeldon said at the Rookie Symposium. "I'm just out there to compete and work my way up to the top, see what I can do."

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.