Texas state militia guards Seals and Green Berets in Texas...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: National Guard guards Seals and Green Berets in Texas...

When the old carb on my FJ40 wasn't working properly I used to occasionally get stranded, having to pull the air cleaner and spray some carb cleaner into the bowl to get it to fire, after which it would run fine until it was shut off. One day I was at a friend's house and started to leave, only to find that the carb had lost vacuum and the fuel bowl was almost empty. I pumped and pumped the fuel pump to no avail. I finally sprayed the intake with quite a lot of carb cleaner, and it fired right up, only to almost immediately backfire. It sounded like a shotgun was fired about 15' away - LOUD! I got in and drove off, noting that I had obviously ripped my muffler open as the exhaust was quite loud now...

As I left the neighborhood two sheriff cars shot past me into the neighborhood, blue lights flashing and siren wailing. It was only later I realized someone had likely called my backfire in as 'shot fired'.

I replaced both the muffler and the carb a few days later...

LOL! The old days. I still use it to start our old lawnmower. When it finally doesn't start, out it goes. Of course, the majority of wear occurs when the engine runs for a second or two without lubrication. Add starter fluid and it's several more seconds, since, with its high volatility, it dissolves what oil remains, and the dry period is extended. IOW, you can only get away with it so long. I bought a diesel tractor from a client recently. They didn't know how to adjust the injector pump and had been using starter fluid (about the same as cleaner) for a while. I adjusted the pump and gave it a good workout, to make sure it still had enough compression to do the job. It did...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I'll tell you what, if I was a county sheriff, I'd take him to his truck and say, "Replicate the behavior. Cause your truck to backfire again."
I have not heard an automobile backfire in a long time. Not saying its impossible, it just does not seem to happen as frequently as it did with cars forty years ago.
i think the last thing i heard backfire was one of those shriner go carts that are ubiquitous in small town christmas parades

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

i think the last thing i heard backfire was one of those shriner go carts that are ubiquitous in small town christmas parades
If I am a juror (assuming this case comes to trial) and the defense plays the "it was just a backfire" card, I'm going to be thinking, "Really? That's the best you got?"

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

If I am a juror (assuming this case comes to trial) and the defense plays the "it was just a backfire" card, I'm going to be thinking, "Really? That's the best you got?"
i have to admit, i would probably get my hand slapped by the judge for laughing out loud if i heard that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.