News Article: So ISIS Wants to Find out how we Roll...Attacks Anti-Islam Event in Texas

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
you would think that if they are going to take credit for an attack, it wouldn't be an attack where their "soldiers" crapped the bed and got taken out before they could start their "mission"
It's the publicity factor. They may have failed in their mission but they did get their "name in the paper". Bad publicity can be better than no publicity at all.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Do you guys think ISIS actually had any affiliation with the 'attacks', or are just trying to stay relevant and taking advantage of an opportunity to grab more publicity?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Hey, gang.............not really feeling good today. Everyone will have to wait until tomorrow for more detailed stuff.

The responses I get, when folks hear I was there are generally "Are you really that stupid?" or "We should have known if anyone was going to be there, it was you!"

One buddy was mad at "us", since he thought we did it on purpose to have a shoot-out with the nut job jihadists. Gee, the LEOs didn't have a glint in their eyes, when they heard "Shots fired!" They sure didn't look like they were itching for Gunfight at the OK Corral. I bet most of them were counting on a "milk run", and all that overtime they would get paid.

Surprise!

"Well, what did you think was going to happen in Texas, with all you nuts down there?"

Wish I was joking, but I am not.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Do you guys think ISIS actually had any affiliation with the 'attacks', or are just trying to stay relevant and taking advantage of an opportunity to grab more publicity?
Supposedly there is a third person involved that has ISIS ties and may have been a direct instigator. This also shows that ISIS may be capable of pulling off other similar attacks here.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
An interesting take on the incident.

Democracy requires free speech, but it also requires individual responsibility. That's at the heart of what makes this country work. So what happens when they clash? What happens when a person uses free speech to stigmatize an entire people? Even though American Muslims condemn terrorism, it's unfair to be expected to. Collective responsibility? Guilty until proven innocent? That's what it means to ask us all to condemn actions, when we have nothing to do with those actions.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Supposedly there is a third person involved that has ISIS ties and may have been a direct instigator. This also shows that ISIS may be capable of pulling off other similar attacks here.
I'm sure they are. We are an open society, even with the NSA. They are no different from the El Qaeda and other militant groups. It is a bit puzzling that they are claiming credit and even a huge victory in a caper in which both of their guys, copycatting Holmes arrived with assault weapons and armor and got shot through the head by a mere traffic cop. Meter Man vs. big, bad ISIS. I think I'd try to sweep it under the rug...

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

That is a interesting perspective, but I find it peculiar that a group like Westboro baptist being as enraging as they are, never provokes an attacked. Groups in this country of all types are made the butt of jokes at some point or another. Gays, Christians, Minorities, nonminorities, conservatives/liberals, military personnel, athletes, scientists, literally everyone at somepoint has been a vicitim of some kind of "discrimination" (if that is what we want to call it). Why should the muslims be an exception? Also, you guys will find this intresting: the quran does not explicitly forbid depictions of Mohammed at all. So all this crap with charlie hebdo, and this incident in texas, it's really not excusable.

Last edited:

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Yeah, not a lot to brag about. Probably some "brother, I don't believe I would have told that" in the global isis circles.
I'm sure they are. We are an open society, even with the NSA. They are no different from the El Qaeda and other militant groups. It is a bit puzzling that they are claiming credit and even a huge victory in a caper in which both of their guys, copycatting Holmes arrived with assault weapons and armor and got shot through the head by a mere traffic cop. Meter Man vs. big, bad ISIS. I think I'd try to sweep it under the rug...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not particularly. The reality is people stomp the American flag, wear white robes and parade through town, and show up at funerals claming God is happy someone's loved one is dead, yet you don't see Americans (generally speaking) reacting like these radical muslims. The author of the article made one great point - the local mosques didn't even protest this, and the terrorist-wannabes weren't part of a mosque as US muslims general reject radicalism. But the reality is you cannot get around the fact that some muslims will react to being offended with murdering people, and no matter what, that's never ok.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yes, the SWAT guys may have thrown some lead at the perps. They did not discuss much with us, other than "the injured officer is probably ok" and when asked what happened to the perps:

"They were dealt with and dispatched rather quickly. You can take that as you want." They did not say much else. At some later point, after folks were finding out more about what was going on by using their phones, to read the innerwebs, they did say the wound was a "through and through". By the time the officer was released from the hospital, we were still waiting to be bussed down to the main police station.

I have read some reports that claimed the instigator that organized this blasphemous event was long gone, after the shooting broke out.

If you want to believe the first part, well, this is a free country. You are even free to report lies as news.

Pam Geller was there the whole time, and thanked us for attending, as we were leaving. I was in the last small group that left the venue. I suspect her evening wasn't about to be over any time. Just like the rest of us. She did have security around her. But, so did we.

Things did not take a "lighter" turn, until we were at the police station. We got to vent on how cold the auditorium they put us in was. (Yeah, guess who complained the loudest.) Eventually, they brought in blankets, from the jail, so we could warm up. It really was that cold. All of us were huddled under blankets. It was really that cold. They fed us pizza, if you call Dominoes pizza. I don't, but probably would have eaten some if it was not for all my weird dietary restrictions. Yes, I went without anything to eat, which did not make freezing my butt off all that pleasant. And we still had several hours to go.

The next morning, my leftist buddy could not understand how the police could afford to run the A/C so hard, all weekend long. (It had to be like that, all weekend, as it was in an area that probably wasn't used a lot. The answer is Garland has its own power generation station. So, in a sense, it was "free". I was waiting for the obligatory lecture on global warming, but it never came. I am grateful for that. Maybe some day it will come. At this point, we were well beyond wanting to get our cars and get back to normalcy.)

More later............

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Read that article after getting home tonight. How this guy can compare drawing a cartoon to some of the things he does - apples to oranges.

And he keeps giving lip service to the 1st Amendment while actively calling for ambiguous but tangible limits on it.

He also seems to believe that character assassination and guilt by association is clearly OK if he is the one delivering. I don't know the principles or even how I feel about them at this point, but I did hear the CNN interview with Gellar and she seemed to differentiate between radicals and the rank and file - a line that others on the show attempted to obscure or distort multiple times.

I am quite certain that Gellar is intentionally being provocative and even offensive. That used to be celebrated when people pushed the envelope of the "acceptable". Now it is frowned upon. Attempts are made to ostracize - even posthumously (Charlie Hebdo).

The whole reason this is an issue to discuss and to push the envelope on is the violence that occurs due to the intolerance of violent radicals. So I see the activities as having a legitimate point to make regarding free speech in our society. The provocation and offensiveness to some - and their reaction to it - is the whole point. And it completely goes over this guy's head.

Or maybe the author is just operating with his own subversive agenda.

ETA: Martin Luther was a heretic to the powerful and often violent (at the time) Catholic church. May have technically been blasphemous (others probably know better than I). He was unnecessarily provocative in nailing his 95 Theses right on the door of the church.

But no matter who was offended or found his speech hateful and misguided, he ushered in a movement that brought about a number of the biggest changes in Western society and government. Changes that lead to the oft misunderstood separation of church and state. Changes that had ripple effects for centuries and that still effect us in everyday life.

So however they were viewed at the time or even today, his work was important. It advanced society. It provoked change. It was better that he spoke his mind and did not hold back on the things he said.

That is the importance of free speech. And why any attempt to restrict the right should be met with stiff and overwhelming opposition, IMHO.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.