Link: Top-10 NFL Draft Picks on Alabama's Current Roster

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I have a sincere question...Are we recruiting 3-year players to go to the NFL, or players to win championships at Alabama? Or the better question may be...Are players coming to Alabama with the primary goal to get to the next level, or to win championships?
From what I have read/heard CNS say, he doesn't blow any smoke up these kids. He sells them on the idea that he will prepare them for life as men, players in the NFL (If talent warrants), all while getting a pretty darned good education and playing for a premier college program. It's a slight distinction and maybe just semantics but I believes that if they buy into those things wholeheartedly then championships will be a byproduct of that. Players, I'm sure, know that NFL teams view Alabama players as well coached and coachable and that certainly doesn't hurt.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
From what I have read/heard CNS say, he doesn't blow any smoke up these kids. He sells them on the idea that he will prepare them for life as men, players in the NFL (If talent warrants), all while getting a pretty darned good education and playing for a premier college program. It's a slight distinction and maybe just semantics but I believe that if they buy into those things wholeheartedly then championships will be a byproduct of that. Players, I'm sure, know that NFL teams view Alabama players as well coached and coachable and that certainly doesn't hurt.
I think what you say has a lot of merit, and I am a self-described "Sabanite". But...I would say that Coach Bryant, and Stallings for that matter, perhaps had the byproducts reverse from Coach Saban in that regard. The mission for Coach Bryant was winning college football games, becoming a good student and person first; and then if the ability was there the NFL was the second byproduct.
I guess that was my point of asking in the first place. IMO that is a distinct difference in where the program has evolved...Not that there is anything wrong with it. Just seems way too much attention is paid to what round of the draft an existing freshman or sophomore will go in 2-3 years from now rather than how they will contribute to helping their team win games and championships at their college.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think what you say has a lot of merit, and I am a self-described "Sabanite". But...I would say that Coach Bryant, and Stallings for that matter, perhaps had the byproducts reverse from Coach Saban in that regard. The mission for Coach Bryant was winning college football games, becoming a good student and person first; and then if the ability was there the NFL was the second byproduct.
I guess that was my point of asking in the first place. IMO that is a distinct difference in where the program has evolved...Not that there is anything wrong with it. Just seems way too much attention is paid to what round of the draft an existing freshman or sophomore will go in 2-3 years from now rather than how they will contribute to helping their team win games and championships at their college.
Well you have to look at the times of CPB and CGS that the NFL and NCAA were way different than they are now. The type of player drafted and the contiued goals of players differ dramatacally than what they do in today's society. Also NCAA was alot bigger than the NFL in those days. Most people liked the idea of blue collar dynasties back then like the Steelers,Cowboys,and Packers, but they despise them now (Patriots). It meant alot more to be a heisman or national champion winner to the atheltes than to play in the NFL. If you look at the players drafted 1st round by those three coaches then it will clearly reflect my point.

CPB 25 years
13 players drafted in the 1st round
2 years with mutiple first rounders

CGS 7 years
5 players drafted 1st round
1 year 3 players drafted in the first round

CNS 8 years
16 players drafted in the 1st round
4 years with atleast two were drafted in the 1st round
3 years where at least 3 players were drafted in the 1st round
2 years where as many as 4 players were drafted in the 1st round

culture has changed, and the NFL has gotten alot bigger.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

2016 NFL Draft: 125 players to know for next year

At Alabama the key NFL attraction is defensive lineman A'Shawn Robinson. The powerful junior occupies blockers and still manages to create disruption up front. Alabama's has NFL players across the defensive line with senior end Jarran Reed and junior Jonathan Allen looking like solid NFL players. On offense, running back Derrick Henry looks to be the next in the Alabama running back pipeline.
Bama has a total of 9 players on Kadar's list.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.