NCAA Approves 3 New Bowl Games

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some of the "great" bowl games turn out to be snooze fests and some of the "horrible" bowl games turn out to be compelling. I'll give just about any football game on TV a shot (college, high school or NFL). If it is competitive, it stays on - no matter the names on the uniforms or the teams' w/l record.

I love me some football.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
OK, all of you guys who want to watch Southwest Popcorn State Community College (5-7) vs Southern Backwater Technical School (4-8) go ahead.

Haha @ the outrage that some people think bowl games ought to represent more than just 'some extra football'. As if you guys watch every game every weekend. SMH

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Talk about a privileged nation. "We have too much football!" I've never felt more ashamed of some of you.
Yup, I was going to stay out of it. I guess I am part of the problem. I watch all of them I can.

I get the problem with it no longer being as big of an honor to be asked to a bowl game, and watering down what it used to mean. However, if there is a pee wee game down at the fields, a high school or college game at a local stadium, or one playing on TV, I'm gonna go watch it. :)

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
OK, all of you guys who want to watch Southwest Popcorn State Community College (5-7) vs Southern Backwater Technical School (4-8) go ahead.

Haha @ the outrage that some people think bowl games ought to represent more than just 'some extra football'. As if you guys watch every game every weekend. SMH
*blushes*

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Do so many teams deserve a bowl at the end of the season?

Should they be awarded this distinction?

It used to be a huge honor to be selected for a bowl.

It still is but as more bowls are added the distinction is diluted.

And of course we all love football....but not every football game is of interest.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
It's more like complaining that there are too many crappy football games is like complaining that there is too much crappy beer in your refrigerator.
OK, for starters, crappy football is still football and crappy beer is still beer and if put together in any combination makes life better. Hell, I used to watch the Army/Navy game in the 1980's when they would only pass the ball 4 times for the game (combined!) but I will admit that I am hardcore.

P.S. Rule number 9 of life states: One should never complain about the brand of a free beer given to you. Now, if that beer is not of the proper temperature, then gripe at will.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Some people are interested due to the bowl mania thing. It actually is pretty fun on who gets the most right

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Do so many teams deserve a bowl at the end of the season?

Should they be awarded this distinction?

It used to be a huge honor to be selected for a bowl.

It still is but as more bowls are added the distinction is diluted.

And of course we all love football....but not every football game is of interest.
Again, you don't have to watch something that's not interesting to you.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Also, what's with the word deserve? As if there is a moral code governed by some judicious overlord concerning who gets to play in a postseason bowl game.

College football, from the perspective of a fan, is about entertainment. More games = more chances for me to be entertained. If it's not entertaining to you, there are other options out there.

I wouldn't stop my car out front of a Papa John's, run in and start screaming "Papa John's is terrible. I can't believe you idiots are eating here. What happened to the good old days of Pizza Hut?!?!" because that would be weird. That's something weird people do.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
OK - maybe another way to look at it.

Let's assume in school the grading scale is:
90-100 = A
80-90 = B
70-80 = C
60-70 = D
50-60 = E
Below 50 = Fail

What if someone said - let's make it:
80-100 = A
60-80 = B
40-60 = C
20-40 = D
0-20 = E
(and no one can fail the class)

This way more kids will have better grades and we can all enjoy that, right?

Some people would say we are diluting the standards in order to be more inclusive.

I think having standards is important.

But Red Star - I want to be clear - I agree with you that football is more or less entertainment - so perhaps who cares if there are more bowls?

I don't think it's a 'one size fits all' perspective. Or there wouldn't be a minimum games won record of 6 games to be eligible.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
OK - maybe another way to look at it.

Let's assume in school the grading scale is:
90-100 = A
80-90 = B
70-80 = C
60-70 = D
50-60 = E
Below 50 = Fail

What if someone said - let's make it:
80-100 = A
60-80 = B
40-60 = C
20-40 = D
0-20 = E
(and no one can fail the class)

This way more kids will have better grades and we can all enjoy that, right?

Some people would say we are diluting the standards in order to be more inclusive.

I think having standards is important.

But Red Star - I want to be clear - I agree with you that football is more or less entertainment - so perhaps who cares if there are more bowls?

I don't think it's a 'one size fits all' perspective. Or there wouldn't be a minimum games won record of 6 games to be eligible.
But the above doesn't work out because again, it's entertainment. Actual grades can determine the outcome of your entire life. A football game? No.

And the only standard that matters when it comes to bowl games is a National Title. If you're in a Bowl Game that's not the NC it doesn't matter anyway. No one, outside of selmaborn, can tell me who won the Cotton Bowl 7 years ago without looking it up, because no one really cares. You care about the NCG & the SECCG. Those are your standards. The rest are just for fun.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
But the above doesn't work out because again, it's entertainment. Actual grades can determine the outcome of your entire life. A football game? No.

And the only standard that matters when it comes to bowl games is a National Title. If you're in a Bowl Game that's not the NC it doesn't matter anyway. No one, outside of selmaborn, can tell me who won the Cotton Bowl 7 years ago without looking it up, because no one really cares. You care about the NCG & the SECCG. Those are your standards. The rest are just for fun.
This is without looking I say Missouri over Arkansas

This is with looking: Missouri 38-7 over Arkansas. I remember it because Missouri ended Kansas's dream season only to have their own dashed by Oklahoma the next week in the craziest college football season ever. Arkansas was hyped up but had an up and down season, and got alot of recognition for beating LSU. Deserving matchup but horrible game

I understand your point though.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

You make some good points, thanks for your reply!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The context for my sentiments would be the history of bowl games, what they should mean, and what they did mean. They are less meaningful now, true, but that's only because of all the other crap going on! They used to mean something, they used to be memorable, and there are still plenty of Alabama fans that can tell you about their Rose Bowl games, people that were not alive then, simply because they did indeed mean something. The Rose Bowl predates the NFL, NBA and the NCAA tournament. When we talk about bowl games we are talking about one of America's longest sports traditions. Deserving? A bowl game used to be a reward for an excellent season, something a team earned.

Alabama has the record for bowl victories and appearances, something that each meaningless bowl diminishes further. So yes, as we added conference championship games, and the playoff (something I never liked), and more ridiculous bowl games, we did manage to make them less meaningful, but guess how you fix that? You get rid of the meaningless ones! You put more emphasis on bowl games, because they are in a way endangered. They are on the verge of being just one last game on a schedule, one neutral site game, no more, no less.

Bowl games have been reduced to weekday ESPN programming, to filler, junk to take up a time slot. They used to be so much more though, and while I think we all know we can't go back all the way, bowl games could become more like that, and all that is required is just to remove some of the clutter. There is bowl fatigue now, there are too many meaningless ones, and what it does is, as posters here have attested to, turns the whole thing into a forgettable affair. It need not be.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The context for my sentiments would be the history of bowl games, what they should mean, and what they did mean. They are less meaningful now, true, but that's only because of all the other crap going on! They used to mean something, they used to be memorable, and there are still plenty of Alabama fans that can tell you about their Rose Bowl games, people that were not alive then, simply because they did indeed mean something. The Rose Bowl predates the NFL, NBA and the NCAA tournament. When we talk about bowl games we are talking about one of America's longest sports traditions. Deserving? A bowl game used to be a reward for an excellent season, something a team earned.

Alabama has the record for bowl victories and appearances, something that each meaningless bowl diminishes further. So yes, as we added conference championship games, and the playoff (something I never liked), and more ridiculous bowl games, we did manage to make them less meaningful, but guess how you fix that? You get rid of the meaningless ones! You put more emphasis on bowl games, because they are in a way endangered. They are on the verge of being just one last game on a schedule, one neutral site game, no more, no less.

Bowl games have been reduced to weekday ESPN programming, to filler, junk to take up a time slot. They used to be so much more though, and while I think we all know we can't go back all the way, bowl games could become more like that, and all that is required is just to remove some of the clutter. There is bowl fatigue now, there are too many meaningless ones, and what it does is, as posters here have attested to, turns the whole thing into a forgettable affair. It need not be.
The only way to make it meanigful in this day in time is to get rid of all of them except the playoff games because the new years bowl games are worse than the Camelia bowl IMO. Atleast Bowling Green vs USA was a decent to good game but TCU and GT stomping the Landmass state schools werent even remotely good. Another problem is that the Orange and Rose Bowl games are insanely extreme west and extreme South venues. It takes FSU about 7 hrs to get to Miami. With geography like that it would either take a CFP semi final or a star studded matchup to fill up either. But alas, the NCAA and the conferences wont go this way so whats the point of complaining. Drink your egg nog, watch your flicks, or wrap your presents in the place of watching bowl games if they dont appeal to yah.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Once again an argument that is generational in nature. If television revenue is in fact the only concern then there should be bowl games to include all 127 FBS teams without regard to their season's records or attendance. Enjoy the bowl season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think you summed up what I dislike about what bowl games have become, far better than I could.
Both sides of the coin have room to stand on in this day of time so there isnt one definitive answer to what should or shouldnt be done until they make an effort to do so. Ill level with you on that they should do away with the Division 1 title on most schools and make it all about the Power 5 with that title. But even then there really shouldnt be a Power 5 title for most it really should be a Power 4 because alot of teams just live and die off that title's revenue. Here is a way to make Bowl games more meaningful for you

Example conference and CFP format: D1 will have 40 teams from 4 conferences with the winner of those conferences playing in CFP and a bid for runnerups and 3 place team in bowl games. 9 game conference schedule.

NW
1.Oregon
2.Stanford
3Cal
4.USC
5.UCLA
6.TCU
7.ASU
8.Utah
9.Boise
10.BYU

SW
1.UT austin
2.OU
3.KSU
4.Arkie
5.aTm
6.Baylor
7.Okie Lite
8.Mizzou
9.Iowa
10. NEB

SE
1.Bama
2.Auburn
3.FSU
4.UF
5.Miami
6.UGA
7.LSU
8.UT
9.VT
10. NC St,Duke, or UNC

NE
1.tOSU
2.Mich
3. MSU
4.ND
5.PSU
6.WV
7.Wisc
8.Minn
9.Louisville
10.UK

it will never happen, but to get a majority of meaningful bowl games it will probably be the most sure way.But then again how do you account for other sports where there are teams that are teams that are pedestrian at best at one sport but overally great in another. Kentucky Basketball-Football vs Alabama Basket Ball-Football comes to mind.

We live in a world that is based on fairity amongst 120 + fan bases So we have to accept this for what it is, but I think you will find more competitive bowl games that air on wednesday nights in december than the New Years day's 6 in late December and New Years day. IMO

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.