Deontay Wilder to fight in Birmingham June 13

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Tuscaloosa native Deontay Wilder will defend his WBC title for the first time at Bartow Arena on June 13.

No opponent has been named yet, which seems odd for a title fight taking place in 38 days. But since it is in front of a home crowd, it probably won't be anyone too tough.

Is anyone thinking about going? Championship fights don't happen in Alabama very often, so I may go as it would be my only chance to see one in person. It would depend on ticket prices, but I expect ringside seats won't be $400,000 like the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.

I hope the mods don't mind me posting this here. I know we have a pro sports board but with Wilder being a local guy and this being a dead period for football I thought it might be OK to start this thread.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I may go since I'm from Bham. It has to be a top 15 fighter since he is now a champ but it will be a mismatch and he wants to please his home state folks.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Tuscaloosa native Deontay Wilder will defend his WBC title for the first time at Bartow Arena on June 13.

No opponent has been named yet, which seems odd for a title fight taking place in 38 days. But since it is in front of a home crowd, it probably won't be anyone too tough.

Is anyone thinking about going? Championship fights don't happen in Alabama very often, so I may go as it would be my only chance to see one in person. It would depend on ticket prices, but I expect ringside seats won't be $400,000 like the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.

I hope the mods don't mind me posting this here. I know we have a pro sports board but with Wilder being a local guy and this being a dead period for football I thought it might be OK to start this thread.
According to Deontay's wikipedia page he will be fighting Eric Molina.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I wish boxing wasn't such a joke anymore, and the heavyweights had some star power. Would love to see Wilder be a huge star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I wish boxing wasn't such a joke anymore, and the heavyweights had some star power. Would love to see Wilder be a huge star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don King and Bob Arum killed boxing with PPV. Boxing on TV used to keep the public's interest up as it allowed them to watch the development of promising young fighters.

This MMA crap is booming because they're smart enough not to repeat boxing's mistake. I just can't get into MMA though, it's hard to believe that it's even legal.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

When I first scanned your post, those two phrases kinda stuck in my head, leading me to wonder whether you were looking for volunteers from amongst us to be his opponent... :eek2:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I hope it goes better for Wilder than it did the last time a guy from an SEC town held the title.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This MMA crap is booming because they're smart enough not to repeat boxing's mistake. I just can't get into MMA though, it's hard to believe that it's even legal.
UFC is actually going down the same path as boxing by not giving fan service with big fights. I used to be into it but ordering a MMA event is the same gamble as ordering a Tyson fight.... More often than not $55 is gone in a 10 second main event.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
When you see something like May 2nd in the welterweight division, you question why you even care anymore. I loved watching MP through the Eric Morales/Marco Antonio Barrera era, those were fights. I think FM may have had one or two 5 or 6 years ago that were actual "fights". But the greed has killed it and I don't care what my wife says, I'm not paying for another PPV boxing match (they have to prove it's a "fight" before I'll call it that), period.
As for DW, good luck to him. Hope he does his hometown and state proud.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Ringside must have sold out fast. Jeez. I got mine, but they're not ringside.
I wouldn't have paid for ringside anyway. I wonder if "boxing people" were able to buy them ahead of time.

I bought a pair in the $100 section today. From looking at the map on the website, they seem to be in the endzone of the basketball court on the lower level. I doubt we'll see many heavyweight title fights here, so I figured it's worth the cost just to see it.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Well what does everyone think? We were in 212 and could see very well. We sat with Wilder's Sister and her boys (Wilder's nephews) as we got our tickets from her. We coach his nephews in basketball.

Well we took a detour since us Eastern Alabama Taco Casa freaks have to go to Homewood to get it now after 280 closed. We got there just in time for the last 2 fights which was our plan. I knew the 130 fighters would go the distance as I watch UFC and their fights ARE THE SAME WAY with the little guys.

Man that atmosphere was CRAZY! We booed Molina when he came out and cheered Deontay so loudly you couldn't hear the entrance song. The first few KO's was very very loud. Many seemed to miss the ref calling the fight which was the right choice, then when I get home I notice Deontay saying "Welcome to Alabama". That was classic!!

If we don't get another title fight it's a jip (Wilder promised more). Screw the BJCC, other than the beer crisis, it was a perfect atmosphere IMHO and there really wasn't a bad seat in the house. From everyone singing along with Sweet Home Alabama like we were in T-town to the craziness after Wilder getting stunned then knocking Molina down was UNREAL.

Wilder still needs work for Klitschko (sp?), but he is without a doubt the next great American hope in the HW boxing world. He proved tonight he hits just as hard with his left as well. I would like to see his jab more too. I did see where he wear a glove on his right hand to protect it that was softer he said due to breaking it in his last fight. Those lefts tonight were NASTY!

Props to Molina, he took a BEATING and got up for more. He even fussed with the stoppage, but it was clear when he hit the mat he was out. I was glad to see we applauded him after the match because he did do more than we thought, he hurt Deontay and took a BEATING and wanted to keep going. Props to him as well. Lets hope the next fight here is against a big name, I think we proved tonight we deserve it. I've never heard a 9350 crowd that loud before.

#BombZquad 👍

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.