News Article: Tom Brady likely knew of 'inappropriate activities,' Deflategate report says

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would actually have more respect if Brady would pull a Michael Jordan here. (If the story is wrong, blame it on Mike Greenberg). Years ago some player on a team that beat Chicago complained about Jordan getting away with stuff. A reporter asked him about what the opponent said and Jordan's response was, "So?"

Greenie tells that one often just because as he said it was classic.

"Tom, your opponents think you deflated the ball intentionally?"

"So?"

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
IMO this is an NFL self manufactured scandal to take attention away from the real scandal (ie domestic violence in the NFL.)
It is disgusting really. Adrian Peterson beats his kid and is allowed back in the NFL. Tom Brady and the Pats deflated some balls and the NFL is outraged.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The NFL had much rather push this to the attention of the public instead of handling the tough issues. If this is such a big deal ( no way anyone can convince me ANY difference in air pressure can give a measurable advantage) It's an easy fix. All that needs to be done is for the league be responsible for the use of footballs.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Were HIS balls under-inflated years ago when Michigan barely beat Bama in a bowl game years ago?

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Sure Brady knew about the underinflation. Don't the referees have contact with the balls between plays? Either they could not detect the underinflation or they didn't think it was a big deal. This is a completely media-driven story which should result in a fine (if anything)--not a suspension.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Sure Brady knew about the underinflation. Don't the referees have contact with the balls between plays? Either they could not detect the underinflation or they didn't think it was a big deal. This is a completely media-driven story which should result in a fine (if anything)--not a suspension.
You would need to grip or squeeze the ball to notice the difference but it would give him a small advantage. The issue was blown way out of proportion. I'm guessing the NFL is more upset with the lying and lack of cooperation. If Brady had admitted what was going on at the time this story would be long over.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
You would need to grip or squeeze the ball to notice the difference but it would give him a small advantage. The issue was blown way out of proportion. I'm guessing the NFL is more upset with the lying and lack of cooperation. If Brady had admitted what was going on at the time this story would be long over.
If Brady had just said he didn't know it was a rule and didn't think it was a big deal, none of this would matter. He could have just played dumb and nobody would care.

I also believe this is just a media driven story to deflect.

I am guessing for ST purposes a different ball was used. Ever try to kick a slightly deflated ball?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Earlier today, I spent way too much time hunting-and-pecking my way through an item regarding the problems with the two pressure gauges used to measure the Patriots footballs at halftime of the AFC title game. I spent so much time focused on the nuances that I didn’t give proper attention to perhaps the most obvious problem of all.

To summarize, the NFL had two air pressure gauges available at the game. One had a Wilson logo on the back and a long, crooked needle. The other did not have a Wilson logo, and a shorter, straighter needle.

The gauge with the logo and the longer needle generated higher measurements of the Patriots footballs at halftime, ranging from 0.3 PSI to 0.45 PSI higher for each of the 11 footballs. If that gauge — the one with the logo and the longer, crooked needle — were used to set the PSI for the balls before the game began, the measurements from that gauge are the right measurements to rely upon at halftime. And those measurements show that there was no tampering, because most of the footballs fell within the 11.52 to 11.32 PSI range for halftime, as predicted by the Ideal Gas Law.

Referee Walt Anderson didn’t clearly recall which gauge he used to set the pressure in the Patriots balls at 12.5 PSI before the game. Page 52 of the Wells report reveals that it was Anderson’s “best recollection” that he used before the game the gauge with the logo and the longer, crooked needle. In other words, Anderson recalls using the gauge before the game that, based on the halftime measurements, leads to a finding of no tampering.

So how did Ted Wells get around the “best recollection” of Walt Anderson? Wells persuaded Anderson to admit that it’s “certainly possible” he used the other gauge. And the company hired to provide technical support for the Wells report concluded based on a convoluted explanation appearing at pages 116-17 of the report that it is “more probable than not” that Anderson used the other gauge.

In other words, the Wells report concludes on this critical point that it’s “more probable than not” that Anderson’s “best recollection” was wrong.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The Patriots punishment...

Tom Brady suspended four games
Pats lose 1st round pick in 2016 and a 4th in 2017
Pats fined $1 million

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
How so? Allow criminals and guys using drugs and PED's to play but suspend a player because maybe some balls were slightly under inflated that maybe he knew about it?
First I feel there was plenty of evidence. The fact that they were able to obtain what they did without being able to force Brady to cooperate is amazing. Second, no punishment system will please everyone.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
He cheated and then lied about it. It goes to the integrity of the game.
Kinda like people being vilified in a report that says they "were more likely than not" aware of it? I mean seriously. If you are going to do it, at least make it a little more decisive than that.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Kinda like people being vilified in a report that says they "were more likely than not" aware of it? I mean seriously. If you are going to do it, at least make it a little more decisive than that.
As I posted last night, the report has its own questions. Link

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.