News Article: Tom Brady likely knew of 'inappropriate activities,' Deflategate report says

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
So let one team cheat?
You serious Clark?

Look they've had several ex NFL QB's go on record saying this isn't a big deal because everyone messes with the ball. So if you are the NFL, why blow this up unless you are trying to divert attention from other things?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The NFL of today is not unlike MLB in the 90's - rampant cheating and steroid abuse, etc., but TPTB can't actually clean things up as that's how the performances exist that draw the record profits. So they chase things like this.

I'm not advocating cheating, but those who think that this is a 'big deal' in NFL cheating terms are naive at best...
Truth

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
The thing that is confusing me is that most people are saying the NFL is not strict enough, but when they hammer someone everyone says the NFL is too strict. It seems they can't win.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Let's see we have assault, rape, robbery, murder, child abuse, alcohol and drug addiction, performance enhancing drugs, concussions and a whole list of other issues plaguing the league but by golly we wont tolerate anyone under inflating a ball .5 psi. When Jameis Winston is the first player you hire out of hundreds, you have no integrity.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The thing that is confusing me is that most people are saying the NFL is not strict enough, but when they hammer someone everyone says the NFL is too strict. It seems they can't win.
Because they don't bring the hammer when they should but do bring the hammer when it's not necessary.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
You serious Clark?

Look they've had several ex NFL QB's go on record saying this isn't a big deal because everyone messes with the ball. So if you are the NFL, why blow this up unless you are trying to divert attention from other things?
Tom made a couple mistakes: he got caught, and he told the league to take a hike when they questioned him.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
maybe i can clear this up. the nfl is soft on things they should be strict on and they or strict on things that they should be soft on. a guy who beats his kid is allowed back into the league. and .5psi is possibly let out of a ball and the team loses major draft picks and a player who might have known and done it gets punished with a 4 game suspension.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
maybe i can clear this up. the nfl is soft on things they should be strict on and they or strict on things that they should be soft on. a guy who beats his kid is allowed back into the league. and .5psi is possibly let out of a ball and the team loses major draft picks and a player who might have known and done it gets punished with a 4 game suspension.
So being strict should never be a bad thing.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Does the crime justify the punishment? According to some of the punishments the NFL has handed out, the crime isn't anywhere near this punishment.
I can understand where you and others are coming from. I feel it is better to rule with an iron fist. I also feel that by coming down hard on this they can't be lax with other punishments, without people crying foul. I also feel they hit Brady harder because he told them to take a hike. I am okay with that as well.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
There sure are a lot of Brady/cheating apologists here.:eek:
He got what he deserved. Others will now think twice about this and other forms of cheating. Will it end cheating - no. Will it reduce it - yes.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is the typical confusion of the criminal justice system with the NFL.

Your employer may let you keep working in the hospital (in my case) after an arrest for domestic violence, but they'll still fire you for short-cutting lab tests.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
NFL to all future and current players: If you beat you wife/kids, we'll work with you but, don't you dare let any air out of a football!

Sorry, but this punishment is way overboard, especially since they don't even have solid proof. They think that he probably knew, that's basically what the report says, probably. Wow, "probably" is all that is needed to get a 4 game suspension and draft picks taken away! The NCAA needs to hire those investigators, Cam "probably" got paid... Auburn gets the death penalty. FSU "probably" helped cvoer up Winston's rape...death penalty to FSU.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
There sure are a lot of Brady/cheating apologists here.:eek:
He got what he deserved. Others will now think twice about this and other forms of cheating. Will it end cheating - no. Will it reduce it - yes.
I don't have a problem with Brady's punishment. It HAD to have been done at his behest, and he didn't cooperate with the investigation. Besides, it'll almost certainly be reduced to 1-2 games on appeal.

The penalties on the organization, though, are flat out bonkers. You'd think that players were illegally selling back books or something.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I don't have a problem with Brady's punishment. It HAD to have been done at his behest, and he didn't cooperate with the investigation. Besides, it'll almost certainly be reduced to 1-2 games on appeal.

The penalties on the organization, though, are flat out bonkers. You'd think that players were illegally selling back books or something.
"Companies" are generally responsible to some extent for the work related actions of their "employees", whether they were aware of the actions or not.

Maybe I missed it but was anything done towards the employee shown on tape taking the balls into the men's room and the other(s) caught texting the incriminating messages.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.