News Article: Tom Brady likely knew of 'inappropriate activities,' Deflategate report says

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK, one more thing (an original thought here):

I wonder if the same Patriots apologists who want to say "this is a stupid rule" feel the same way about the 'stupid Tuck rule?'

I'm just saying.

EDITED TO ADD:

THIS WHOLE THING is Pete Carroll's fault. If he'd just handed it t Lynch and they'd have scored, everyone now would be laughing about what a witch Karma is insted of angry over the championship.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Formal rebuttal by the Patriots:

http://nesn.com/2015/05/patriots-la...ebuttal-to-incomplete-incorrect-wells-report/

The introduction reads: “The conclusions of the Wells Report are, at best, incomplete, incorrect and lack context. The Report dismisses the scientific explanation for the natural loss of psi of the Patriots footballs by inexplicably rejecting the Referee’s recollection of what gauge he used in his pregame inspection. Texts acknowledged to be attempts at humor and exaggeration are nevertheless interpreted as a plot to improperly deflate footballs, even though none of them refer to any such plot. There is no evidence that Tom Brady preferred footballs that were lower than 12.5 psi and no evidence anyone even thought that he did. All the extensive evidence which contradicts how the texts are interpreted by the investigators is simply dismissed as “not plausible.” Inconsistencies in logic and evidence are ignored.
A link to the full text of the rebuttal is available at the end of the article.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here is a key section from the Patriots' rebuttal:

This statement is not complete. Halftime psi measurements are on pg. 8. The reality is that, on the second gauge, 3 of 4 Colts footballs were below regulation. A more accurate and complete statement regarding the Colts footballs would have been: “Using two different gauges (one of which was used for pre-game psi measurements), the League tested only four Colts footballs at halftime. Three of those footballs measured below regulation on the so-called “non-Logo” gauge. Four measured at or above regulation on the so-called “Logo” gauge. One Colts football averaged below regulation when taking into account both gauges. As soon as that fourth Colts football was measured, League personnel stopped any further gauging of Colts footballs. Relying on the higher Logo gauge measurements of the Colts football, League officials decided not to add air to any of the Colts footballs. Additional measurements using the same two gauges were made post-game. Post-game, each of the four Patriots footballs measured were well above the required level of 12.5 psi on both gauges (including one that had been overinflated to 13.65 on the Logo gauge). Three of the four Colts footballs measured below 12.5 psi on the non-Logo gauge (a violation of League rules), one measured below 12.5 psi on both gauges (also a violation), and three Colts footballs measured above 12.5 on the Logo gauge.
Assuming this accounting is factual, I think any scientist would agree that the NFL's process for measuring psi was fatally flawed.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
And this is a warning shot of an impending multimillion-dollar lawsuit: "The report treats these inaccuracies as inconsequential (See page 101), when quite the opposite is true; they fueled international media misinformation to the Patriots serious detriment."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Look, Brady broke the rules. We can argue how stupid they seem to us but they're still the rules. No, it isn't "why" the Pats won but that's not even the point.

And funnily enough, we have Tide fans still angry over Cam Newton. Should we apply the same logic there? It wasn't the bucks that scored the touchdowns, either. Sure, Cam broke the rules but so what?

Tell me what the NFL was supposed to do. Not investigate it? What? As I said I'm neither Pats fan or foe but why folks can't just say "Brady knowingly broke the rules, lied, tried to hide it and is being punished," I'll never know.

It's that simple. Whether it affected the outcome of the game has no bearing on whether action should be taken.
I'm not a Patriot apologist, and I'm also not upset with Cam Newton any longer, nor am I upset that he got to play against us and led Auburn to a National Title. I do believe he took money, but the ncaa couldn't prove it - just as the NFL couldn't and hasn't proven that Brady was guilty.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Formal rebuttal by the Patriots:

http://nesn.com/2015/05/patriots-la...ebuttal-to-incomplete-incorrect-wells-report/

A link to the full text of the rebuttal is available at the end of the article.

Long read, but the rebuttal seems more plausible than the "more likely than not" findings. The only thing that stuck out for me the other way was the comparative levels between Pats and Colts balls on the halftime measurements. Not sure what to believe or how anyone could be sure what to believe.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Yep, the rebuttal is pretty damaging to the Wells report IMO. I hope Goodell gets buried for this, I'm tired of people like him, and organizations, who bend to media demands to punish folks without proof.

If they thought there was cheating going on, then why didn't they do anything about it at halftime? The league official didn't even add any air to the footballs at halftime, which tells me that no one thought it was a big deal. It only became an issue when the media blew it out of proportion.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Long read, but the rebuttal seems more plausible than the "more likely than not" findings. The only thing that stuck out for me the other way was the comparative levels between Pats and Colts balls on the halftime measurements. Not sure what to believe or how anyone could be sure what to believe.
At a minimum, the rebuttal strongly challenges the severity of the sanctions: $1M fine, 2 lost draft picks, and 4-game suspension for Brady.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I read the report.

Did you?

"More probable than not" simply means "we don't have him on video doing it." If you read the report there is NO DOUBT he did it. NONE.

You now, it's more probable than not that Aaron Hernandez killed Odin Lloyd, too. We don't know because nobody saw him do it, but at some point you have to go with what the evidence shows. And this is pretty conclusive, esp since Brady wouldn't cooperate. And since Brady denied knowing McNally, which was established by multiple other sources. And since Brady gave him some free Patriots stuff for his help.

I mean, come on.
The report was flawed the second it assumed which gauge was used without any definitive answer from the official who ACTUALLY checked the balls. To me, that makes it clear that the investigation was a farce from the beginning because it changes the whole narrative to reach a certain conclusion and they would also have to account for why many of the Colt's balls were also deflated.

BTW, for someone who likes to dismiss others analogies, you are pretty damn quick to trot your own out.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
So it's irrelevant the Patriots got caught breaking the rules. Ok.

And btw - any of you commenting here and saying the NFL does not take ownership of the footballs need to go READ THE DAMNED REPORT!! Because this is all covered in there. In fact, it was McNally acting improperly by disappearing with the footballs in violation f standard procedure that caused one of the concerns.
If the NFL cared so much about the footballs why did they use two separate gauges that had wildly different readings? Why did the official not mark which gauge was used to test?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
So it's irrelevant the Patriots got caught breaking the rules. Ok.

And btw - any of you commenting here and saying the NFL does not take ownership of the footballs need to go READ THE DAMNED REPORT!! Because this is all covered in there. In fact, it was McNally acting improperly by disappearing with the footballs in violation f standard procedure that caused one of the concerns.
How fortunate you have your mind made up. Fortunate for us, we can see the evidence and decide for ourselves. It is ok to have different opinions. It is not ok to be so pompous.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Ll
Pete Rose accepted a punishment of being put permanently on MLB's "inelligible list" and MLB (via Comissioner Bart Giammatti) agreed to not issue a formal finding on his gambling on baseball and, more importantly, his own team. They had ample evidence that he did both. Under MLB rules, he could have applied for reinstatement. In my opinion, Rose had at least some support inside baseball circles and in the court of public opinion. He probably stood a pretty good chance of being reinstated at some point.

Instead of keeping his head down and biding his time, Rose took shots at Giammatti who died six months or so after Rose accepted punishment. He denied everything for 15 years (despite mountains of evidence) and called Giammatti and everybody involved in the investigation liars.

Rose was punished for hurting the product. He was destroyed because he continued to be what he had always been; a despicable human being who treated people like dirt and blamed everybody but himself whenever he faced adversity. He destroyed himself.
Fair enough. Have you ever seen a harsh punishment, like Roses, for anything away from the game? I can't think of anything. I do believe punishments for off the field stuff will keep getting more harsh.

I think it is stupid RG hearing the appeal.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ll

Fair enough. Have you ever seen a harsh punishment, like Roses, for anything away from the game? I can't think of anything. I do believe punishments for off the field stuff will keep getting more harsh.

While I agree - if I'm not mistaken - that's in the CBA. Kinda hard for anyone to complain when that has been agreed to.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There's a way to make that not happen. Link

The NFLPA informed Vincent and Goodell of its plan to call them both as witnesses to the appeal, specifically to discuss the delegation of disciplinary authority that it considers a violation of the CBA, as well as an alleged "sting operation" set up to entrap Brady and the Patriots.

Because of this, the NFLPA believes that Goodell -- or "anyone with close ties to the NFL" -- cannot serve as arbitrator for Brady's appeal.

In light of the above, the NFLPA believes that neither Commissioner Goodell nor anyone with close ties to the NFL can serve as arbitrator in Mr. Brady's appeal under governing legal standards. The credibility and testimony of both you and Commissioner Goodell will be at issue in the hearing as well as numerous procedural issues regarding your testimony and the testimony of the Commissioner. Thus, this matter is similar to the Rice appeal, where Commissioner Goodell properly concluded that a neutral with no ties to the League, Judge Barbara Jones, should be appointed as Hearing Officer to afford Mr. Rice a lawful hearing before an impartial and to maintain the integrity of the proceedings.​

Given that Goodell has recently delegated the appeals of Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy to an independent arbitrator, it was seen as a bit of a departure from form when news broke that he would hear Brady's appeal himself. It is felt in some circles that Goodell hearing the appeal would give Brady greater ammo should he eventually take the case to court, given precedent established in the Rice case and others.

This saga, obviously, will continue to play out in the coming weeks. Even after the report has been filed and punishment has been handed down, it's starting to feel a bit like we're still at the beginning of the story, rather than the end.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
As you all know, I am not a fan of the NFL and do not watch the NFL, but this whole issue is remotely resembling the WWE. If Goodell levied the penalties how can he be the arbitrator?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.