News Article: Tom Brady likely knew of 'inappropriate activities,' Deflategate report says

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is not about hating winners, its about winning fairly. Before this incident I had no opinion one way or the other about Brady. Now if we were talking about Vick that would be a different matter.
Ok let's bring it down to a bama situation.

Gus malzhan gets away with a lot of shady fundamentals when running his offense like men down field ,flopping, and substitutions and outside of bama and arky fans no one says a word. But if Lane kiffin runs a gimmick play with an olineman as a te we go through 3 weeks of sport enter questioning the legality of the play.

If tcu gets a transfer with sexual assault people talk about it for a week and let's it die down. But if alabama does it we talk about for months.

So yes it has to do with hating winners. If the nfl wants to say proper inflation is a huge thing then why are we not on the packers as well. Because aaron Rodgers is more likable than Brady. Now if you want to question Brady's compliance then that is another subject altogether, but this integrity of the game crap that goodell is pushing is bogus if Aaron Rodgers is exempt from punishment.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Ok let's bring it down to a bama situation.

Gus malzhan gets away with a lot of shady fundamentals when running his offense like men down field ,flopping, and substitutions and outside of bama and arky fans no one says a word. But if Lane kiffin runs a gimmick play with an olineman as a te we go through 3 weeks of sport enter questioning the legality of the play.

If tcu gets a transfer with sexual assault people talk about it for a week and let's it die down. But if alabama does it we talk about for months.

So yes it has to do with hating winners. If the nfl wants to say proper inflation is a huge thing then why are we not on the packers as well. Because aaron Rodgers is more likable than Brady. Now if you want to question Brady's compliance then that is another subject altogether, but this integrity of the game crap that goodell is pushing is bogus if Aaron Rodgers is exempt from punishment.
Did Arron Rogers have deflated balls or some other similar infraction?

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
This ruling doesn't vindicate Brady. Once a cheater, always a cheater. This ruling was made more out of spite against Goodell than it was in helping Brady. Goodell hurt himself by coming off as some kind of comic book super villain.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Did Arron Rogers have deflated balls or some other similar infraction?
He over inflates them and has admitted that. So by the psi standard he breaks the same rule as Brady. People might say Brady has a bigger advantage by under inflating them, but it is the same rule being broken. My point is goodell is being selective on it.

Again I say that if you want to argue that Brady wasn't cooperating with the league then you have a fair argument, but in that sense it should've been a fine or two games. Goodell is basically charging Brady for going 10 over the speed limit and sentencing him to a year in prison when cases like the Vikings heating balls and farve not showing cooperation with investigation both resulted in fines

For the record I like Brady, and I thought it was stupid of him doing it when he did way better with properly inflated balls. I thought the initial ruling was just, but that was under the assumption an arbiter would reduce it to 2games. But I was on Brady's side when goodell picked a fight about it and tried to win in court. Had he reduced the sentence and it went to court I would've been on goodell's side. But goodell made himself the villian so I applaud berman's decision.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
He over inflates them and has admitted that. So by the psi standard he breaks the same rule as Brady.
I didn't know that. There shouldn't be a double standard. AR should have been penalized too. The only difference is that apparently AR at least admitted it but TB still wont.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I didn't know that. There shouldn't be a double standard. AR should have been penalized too. The only difference is that apparently AR at least admitted it but TB still wont.
yeah but that goes back to Brett Farve not admitting that he had an affair with a Jet's booster. He got a fine, by Roger Goodell.

Like I said the problem is the inconsistency with Goodell. I think no one with any credibility, except Boomer Easison, denies Brady did it. I think the issue of Goodell making it a spectacle instead of settling it fairly outweighs the supposed guilt. I think its odd that with all the squirrelly stuff that happens in the MLB that it rarely ends up in court, with the outlier exceptions that involve health risks like HGH and anabolic steroids. Its mostly because the MLB utilizes the independent arbiter instead of trying to prove an extreme point that could or couldn't affect the game with shoddy evidence. Goodell is 0 and 5 in federal court so something needs to change in the disciplinary process.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Folks have asked why the Patriots would suspend the managers if nothing happened. It appears the NFL would have done it if the Patriots didn't. Link

The New England Patriots have asked the NFL to reinstate the suspended employees at the heart of the scandal that came to be known as "Deflategate."

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said on Wednesday that the request is under review.

The team suspended equipment assistant John Jastremski and officials locker room attendant Jim McNally as part of the investigation into whether the footballs the team provided for the AFC title game were improperly inflated. In one of the more damning texts uncovered in the probe, McNally referred to himself as "the deflator."

The team was fined $1 million and docked two draft picks as punishment. Quarterback Tom Brady had his four-game suspension vacated by a federal judge. The team has denied any wrongdoing, but it suspended McNally and Jastremski.

The NFL said the two could not be reinstated without permission from the league.
Yahoo's Charles Robinson had these tweets about it:

Sooo, #NFL absolutely, unequivocally didn't suspend the two #Patriots employees. But the NFL has to clear their reinstatement? Incongruent.
Simple questions: Would #NFL have suspended the #Patriots team employees if team didn't? And was that relayed to the Patriots? Yes and yes.
That's a de facto suspension by the #NFL. "Will you do it, or do we have to?" = "We'll do it if you don't."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
IOW, the Patriots realized that these guys did something wrong and it would look better if they preemptively suspended them rather than waiting for the NFL to do so.
Adam Schefter was on Mike & Mike this morning and repeated what he reported in May - the NFL told the Patriots to suspend them. That's why the Patriots have to ask the NFL to consider lifting the indefinite suspension.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Adam Schefter was on Mike & Mike this morning and repeated what he reported in May - the NFL told the Patriots to suspend them. That's why the Patriots have to ask the NFL to consider lifting the indefinite suspension.
OK, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that the team wouldn't have suspended them if they thought they were innocent.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not a Patriots fan, but it sure has been entertaining on both sides of the ball - if you'll pardon the pun.

1) Everyone is looking for every thread - no matter how small - to somehow dismiss New England's accomplishments.

This is so much like Cam Newton to me that it isn't even funny. I have no doubt whatsoever that Auburn (or a surrogate) paid him (or his Daddy) to go there. My God, I even have Auburn fans who ADMIT this openly, even if they parse it with "well, Daddy was paid." So fans console themselves with the old 'they only won because they cheated.'

Problem is, the dollar bills didn't make one single play. For every paid superstar like Cam, there are a dozen 'non-superstars' like Albert Means, Eric Ramsey, or Hart Lee Dykes. Console yourselves with this if it makes you feel better - but Auburn won the national title, and it ain't ever coming down. The bucks didn't make Cam one iota of a better football player. If we had taken care of business on the field then there'd be on less title flying on the Plains. (And don't give me that 'Mark Barron was injured' crap, either - this from the same fans who mock Texas over Colt McCoy, but I hope every honest fan will admit McCoy was FAR MORE important to his entire team's offense than Barron was for the entire defense).

New England won, therefore, they must have cheated.

2) Pats fans, in typical Bostonian fashion, over-react.

I mean, is there a more arrogant city in the USA other than maybe NYC? Throw in the programmed martyr posture thanks to the Red Sox's 86 years of futility and you have a brainwashed fanbase that simultaneously manages to be both arrogant and persecuted at the exact same time. (It's actually quite amazing the more recent Massachusetts candidates for Pres - Dukakis, Kerry, Romney - have all lost; one would think they'd all have quite a bit experience looking two ways at the same time, which is important in politics). And it's all across the board as Boston manages to be both one of the most liberal and yet most bigoted cities in the country, too.

Rather than admitting they've at least been too clever by half, Pats fans naively assert their innocence and borrow the tactics of O.J.'s lawyers by pointing in every which direction without ever really acknowledging that NON-INTERESTED parties can conclude they've been up to something shady. Hell, I'd be happy if just one Pats fan would pipe up and acknowledge that a person looking at the evidence could REASONABLY conclude the POSSIBILITY of Brady cheating. But this goes back to the face-saving tactics and mob mentality as well as that persecuted complex ("they hate us because they ain't us").

3) If you think the Patriots are the only folks taking shortcuts or trying to gain an edge, you are naive as hell.

I suspect what bothers most people is that their particular team didn't think of some of these creative ways of 'cheating' themselves. If you think NFL players aren't trying to injure guys on the other team (a la the Saints), you're naive. Teams are stealing signs now and folks are complaining and it's long been a baseball tradition to steal the catcher's signs. As far as Spygate, SUPPOSEDLY......they knew what the Rams were gonna do in 2002, blah blah blah. Fine.

If this gave them such a huge advantage, anyone want to explain by they missed the 2002 playoffs?

4) If you ascribe to the 'once a cheater, always a cheater' mantra....

What do you do with Coach Bryant, who admitted to paying players at Texas A/M? Are the entire 1970s at Alabama now supposed to go up in asterisk land?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Tom Brady’s ‘Deflate-gate’ suspension is reinstated

Just when New England Patriots fans thought the whole “Deflate-gate” mess was behind them, a federal appeals court has ruled: Not so fast.

The NFL’s controversial four-game suspension of the team’s star quarterback Tom Brady for his alleged role in illegally changing the air pressure in game balls prior to 2015’s AFC Championship game is now being upheld, following an appeal from the league.

Brady had previously been victorious in a district court this past fall when he challenged the league’s May decision, which came following an internal investigation that determined the four-time Super Bowl winner was “generally aware” of a conspiracy to gain an unfair advantage. (Under-inflated balls are considered to be easier to grip and catch.) Brady has always insisted that he had no knowledge of and never participated in any form of cheating, and he has enjoyed the support of the NFL Players Association, as well as Patriots ownership.

This appeals court ruling will now re-open the controversy all over again, likely reigniting debates about alleged disciplinary overreach from the NFL’s Commissioner Roger Goodell.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/tom-brad...-facepalm?cid=playlist=480866&cid=sm_fb_mojoe

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The text messages and the destroying of the phone is what got him, IMO. I mean why not just hold up a sign saying "I'm guilty".
No, it's more of the fact he wouldn't accept the investigation as legitimate. Goodell would've probably settled for 2 games had Brady accepted the investigation when it went to court.I think that Goodell, Brady, and the NFLPA have all been very stupid in this whole ordeal and I think everyone haters and lovers are sick of it. I say agree on two games and be done with it or else every one is going to look worse.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Tom Brady files petition for suspension case rehearing
999+

By Austin Knoblauch NFL.com
Published: May 23, 2016 at 04:05 p.m.
Updated: May 23, 2016 at 06:08 p.m.

Tom Brady's lawyers filed a petition Monday for a rehearing of his suspension case against the NFL before the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York.

According to the filing, Brady's legal team, led by former U.S. Solicitor General Ted Olson, petitioned for a panel rehearing or a rehearing en banc. In an en banc hearing, all active judges on the court would rehear the case. The requests were formally filed Monday afternoon.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-files-petition-for-suspension-case-rehearing
He should just shut up and take his punishment.:rolleyes:

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Who knew under-inflated balls could cause such a problem for Tom.
Lying about doctoring balls is likely the main reason this went as far as it did. If he had said they like to push the envelope and pushed it too far and apologized, this would have been a $25k fine. Once he went full denial mode he was stuck.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.