News Article: Tom Brady likely knew of 'inappropriate activities,' Deflategate report says

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think that was the second worst decision goddell has made in his career. Brady will most likely win in court like all the others. Should've reduced it to two games and not risked court.
Roger Goodell is a buffoon. My interest in the NFL (beyond Alabama grads) has waned to near zero. This was so much to do about nothing.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Roger Goodell is a buffoon. My interest in the NFL (beyond Alabama grads) has waned to near zero. This was so much to do about nothing.

Me too. I am interested in the success of the Bama players and will usually watch the playoffs and SB. Occasionally a game get really tight and will catch my interest but the need to be political and push silly things like this make the whole league less.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think that was the second worst decision goddell has made in his career. Brady will most likely win in court like all the others. Should've reduced it to two games and not risked court.
Brady just forever lost in the court of public opinion. The public would have been with him on circumstantial - right up to the time he destroyed the phone.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Roger Goodell had determined the ball deflation was not true, it would have vindicated the Patriots. Once he found it was - what exactly was he supposed to do?

If he did nothing in the first place, the whispers of him being Kraft's boy get louder and louder. Once he had scientists investigate it he didn't have a whole lot of choice.

And Brady lost this one with the cell phone destruction coupled with refusal to turn over texts to those two dudes.

Was this a very big deal? No. But the commissioner has to run the league fairly for all 31 teams.

Had Brady just said he did it then he'd likely have gotten one or two games.

And btw - I agree with you that the NFL lost the zest for me years ago. I haven't watched a regular season NFL game since the end of the 2009 season.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Roger Goodell had determined the ball deflation was not true, it would have vindicated the Patriots. Once he found it was - what exactly was he supposed to do?
The determining factor was Ted Wells saying he felt Tom Brady "more likely than not" knew. That was it.

If he did nothing in the first place, the whispers of him being Kraft's boy get louder and louder. Once he had scientists investigate it he didn't have a whole lot of choice.
Don't know many folks against a punishment against Brady. Most, including myself, find the punishment more than excessive.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I agree. If a team has a QB that wants to throw a football with no air in it what's the problem if his coach agrees with it. Well that may go toooooo far 'cause you just might have trouble finding the ball, if it's hidden inside someone's jersey or jockey strap. The defense just needs to defend it. If a QB wants to put as much air as possible in the ball, same thing.

I too watch the NFL ONLY to see former Alabama Crimson Tide players. I read about the Super Bowl ONLY to read about Alabama players or to look at what Roman Numeral they are currently using. Let's see, I have watched XLIX Super Bowls and several NFL Championship games prior to that. What a waste of time! Just think, if I had not wasted that time, I could have ……. (done many other things much more interesting and personally rewarding).

College football is MUCH more entertaining and exciting than the BNFL. (Boring National Football League)

I think the current NFL Commissioner is the worst yet!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Also, when you appeal a decision by the commissioner, why does the same person decide the consequence? That's NOT an appeal, except in the NFL.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Brady just forever lost in the court of public opinion. The public would have been with him on circumstantial - right up to the time he destroyed the phone.
The story from Brady's camp is that goodell trusted Brady's attorney to see if there was any thing to the ball deflation on the cell phone and never actually ordered him to turn it over. If that is true then that is on goodell for being a moron and not Brady taking advantage on his stupidity.

Public opinion means nothing to Brady and why should it when he has four Super Bowl rings and 3 Super Bowl Mvps, and 6 Super Bowl appearances vs manning's Super Bowl numbers. Unless he bets on his own games then he is a first ballot hof.

Also how did goodell decide on the punishment and what is Brady being punished for? Is it not for cooperating with investigation??? If so then tell me why Brett farce does the exact same thing when the nfl is trying to find the truth about his mistress and when he doesn't cooperate it's just a fine and not a suspension. If it is for cheating then tell me how to factor the proper amount of games suspended for when goodell gave roethlisberger 4 for rape and originally gave rice 2 for knocking out his fiancé?

Goodell won't win in court with it either going to Minnesota or Massachusetts. And if the Brady destroying his cellphone was such a big reason for the nfl giving him four games then why did goodell wait until now to drop that bombshell? It seems more like a last ditch effort to not appear weak yet again, but it's probably not going to end well for roger

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The story from Brady's camp is that goodell trusted Brady's attorney to see if there was any thing to the ball deflation on the cell phone and never actually ordered him to turn it over. If that is true then that is on goodell for being a moron and not Brady taking advantage on his stupidity.
Agreed, although you get into areas of things like civil rights, too.

Public opinion means nothing to Brady and why should it when he has four Super Bowl rings and 3 Super Bowl Mvps, and 6 Super Bowl appearances vs manning's Super Bowl numbers. Unless he bets on his own games then he is a first ballot hof.
He just went from being a sympathetic figure who might have gotten a raw deal to a guy tried to cover up the deed - that's the one thing nobody is going to stand for outside of the brainwashed sections of Patriot Nation.

Also how did goodell decide on the punishment and what is Brady being punished for?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, "conspiracy to deflate footballs below regulation."

Is it not for cooperating with investigation???
I think he's suspended for the ball deflation and now the appeal is upheld on the basis of not cooperating.

If so then tell me why Brett farce does the exact same thing when the nfl is trying to find the truth about his mistress and when he doesn't cooperate it's just a fine and not a suspension.
Surely, I don't have to explain to you the difference between an off-the-field matter and an on-the-field matter, especially since billions are gambled on the NFL every year.

If it is for cheating then tell me how to factor the proper amount of games suspended for when goodell gave roethlisberger 4 for rape and originally gave rice 2 for knocking out his fiancé?
Two happened off the field, one on the field (or at least related to on the field). Not a difficult concept.

Also, Big Ben got SIX for violating a personal conduct policy for a crime for which he was never charged. It was later reduced to four. Two games was his standard supsension and so far as we know at this point, the NFL was unaware of the Rice video at the time of the suspension. After seeing it, the suspension was six - and then another video popped up and Rice lost everything.

Goodell won't win in court with it either going to Minnesota or Massachusetts.
Problem for Brady is he'll then have to answer questions under oath that he's already NOT answered when NOT under oath. He'd also be the one keeping the Deflate-gate story alive for however long the case sits in legal purgatory.

And if the Brady destroying his cellphone was such a big reason for the nfl giving him four games
It wasn't; it was the reason for RATIFYING the already given suspension for four games.

then why did goodell wait until now to drop that bombshell?
Are you actually suggesting Brady didn't know the NFL knew his cell phone was destroyed? We might ask Brady the same thing (these things are enlightening when the same demands are made of both sides).

Maybe Goodell didn't know. Maybe he wanted to give Brady a chance to explain and then hit him with the previous cell phone. Maybe Goodell was too busy watching the Ray Rice video over and over again. I don't know, but I don't guess anyone else does, either.

It seems more like a last ditch effort to not appear weak yet again, but it's probably not going to end well for roger
Maybe, maybe not.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The determining factor was Ted Wells saying he felt Tom Brady "more likely than not" knew. That was it.

Don't know many folks against a punishment against Brady. Most, including myself, find the punishment more than excessive.
We are in total agreement on the length of the suspension - it was too long in the first place.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Agreed, although you get into areas of things like civil rights, too.

He just went from being a sympathetic figure who might have gotten a raw deal to a guy tried to cover up the deed - that's the one thing nobody is going to stand for outside of the brainwashed sections of Patriot Nation.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, "conspiracy to deflate footballs below regulation."

I think he's suspended for the ball deflation and now the appeal is upheld on the basis of not cooperating.

Surely, I don't have to explain to you the difference between an off-the-field matter and an on-the-field matter, especially since billions are gambled on the NFL every year.

Two happened off the field, one on the field (or at least related to on the field). Not a difficult concept.

Also, Big Ben got SIX for violating a personal conduct policy for a crime for which he was never charged. It was later reduced to four. Two games was his standard supsension and so far as we know at this point, the NFL was unaware of the Rice video at the time of the suspension. After seeing it, the suspension was six - and then another video popped up and Rice lost everything.

Problem for Brady is he'll then have to answer questions under oath that he's already NOT answered when NOT under oath. He'd also be the one keeping the Deflate-gate story alive for however long the case sits in legal purgatory.

It wasn't; it was the reason for RATIFYING the already given suspension for four games.

Are you actually suggesting Brady didn't know the NFL knew his cell phone was destroyed? We might ask Brady the same thing (these things are enlightening when the same demands are made of both sides).

Maybe Goodell didn't know. Maybe he wanted to give Brady a chance to explain and then hit him with the previous cell phone. Maybe Goodell was too busy watching the Ray Rice video over and over again. I don't know, but I don't guess anyone else does, either.

Maybe, maybe not.
Maybe Brady isn't afraid of answering questions under oath.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tom Brady makes a statement on his Facebook page:

I am very disappointed by the NFL’s decision to uphold the 4 game suspension against me. I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either.

Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was “probable” that I was “generally aware” of misconduct. The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.

I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.

Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.

To try and reconcile the record and fully cooperate with the investigation after I was disciplined in May, we turned over detailed pages of cell phone records and all of the emails that Mr. Wells requested. We even contacted the phone company to see if there was any possible way we could retrieve any/all of the actual text messages from my old phone. In short, we exhausted every possibility to give the NFL everything we could and offered to go thru the identity for every text and phone call during the relevant time. Regardless, the NFL knows that Mr. Wells already had ALL relevant communications with Patriots personnel that either Mr. Wells saw or that I was questioned about in my appeal hearing. There is no “smoking gun” and this controversy is manufactured to distract from the fact they have zero evidence of wrongdoing.

I authorized the NFLPA to make a settlement offer to the NFL so that we could avoid going to court and put this inconsequential issue behind us as we move forward into this season. The discipline was upheld without any counter offer. I respect the Commissioners authority, but he also has to respect the CBA and my rights as a private citizen. I will not allow my unfair discipline to become a precedent for other NFL players without a fight.

Lastly, I am overwhelmed and humbled by the support of family, friends and our fans who have supported me since the false accusations were made after the AFC Championship game. I look forward to the opportunity to resume playing with my teammates and winning more games for the New England Patriots.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
However anyone feels about the original 4 game suspension, it's probably a moot point now. Brady has compounded the situation now by destroying his phone (aka coverup). At this point he should just shut up and take the punishment. There is not much to gain, if anything, for him to continue on this path.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
However anyone feels about the original 4 game suspension, it's probably a moot point now. Brady has compounded the situation now by destroying his phone (aka coverup). At this point he should just shut up and take the punishment. There is not much to gain, if anything, for him to continue on this path.
I disagree with you. He has much to gain, not just playing time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.