News Article: Tom Brady likely knew of 'inappropriate activities,' Deflategate report says

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Its not trumped up. Would you want your daughter going out with a guy that more probably than not beat up his last girlfriend? Its just legalese for we 're pretty sure he did it but have no indisputable proof.
The punishment was stronger than I thought but at least it gives some wiggle room on appeal.
Ridiculous analogy.

:rolleye2:

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
This meme is stupid on multiple levels....

1) Ray Lewis was NOT a murderer

2) Floyd Mayweather is irrelevant in a football discussion

3) It is a comparison between a guy breaking rules DURING A GAME and being punished for THAT versus guys who have done different things OFF THE FIELD (and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rice lose his job?)

And finally - if you want to make that argument, should I point out that Aaron Hernandez played for the Patriots?

All of which are totally irrelevant, especially Hernandez.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
And when you get CAUGHT cheating what happens?

Look, I'm not even a Patriots fan (what little NFL I watch, I'm a Falcons fan, Lord help me), but this is ridiculous. Tom Brady may not have done anything close to Rice or Peterson but so what? Why does anyone even think that is relevant? If that's the argument then what is the point? Rice got tossed out of the league and Peterson missed nearly an ENTIRE SEASON.

Now if the point is that Brady shouldn't have been suspended for FOUR games then I actually agree, two ought to be enough maybe even one. But let's quit bringing irrelevancies in here as if there's an equivalence.

Lying goes on every day and isn't illegal - unless you do it under oath and then you can get jail time even if you lie about sex. Gossip isn't against the law, either - but a shrink who does it can lose his or her license.
My post was intentionally over the top in response to a post I considered ridiculous. Look a lot more goes into winning than most realize. Airing up a football has to be the least of it. If it is really that big of a deal then the NFL is the one at fault for not taking ownership and controlling the footballs.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
And when you get CAUGHT cheating what happens?

Look, I'm not even a Patriots fan (what little NFL I watch, I'm a Falcons fan, Lord help me), but this is ridiculous. Tom Brady may not have done anything close to Rice or Peterson but so what? Why does anyone even think that is relevant? If that's the argument then what is the point? Rice got tossed out of the league and Peterson missed nearly an ENTIRE SEASON.

Now if the point is that Brady shouldn't have been suspended for FOUR games then I actually agree, two ought to be enough maybe even one. But let's quit bringing irrelevancies in here as if there's an equivalence.

Lying goes on every day and isn't illegal - unless you do it under oath and then you can get jail time even if you lie about sex. Gossip isn't against the law, either - but a shrink who does it can lose his or her license.

Now speaking of irrelevant.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Brady and the Patriots really committed two heavy sins. They hurt the product and they went against the status quo. True or not, a lot of folks feel the Pats are cheaters which is bad for the league. While I know his punishment was a lot worse, this reminds me of Pete Rose. He hurt the product so they destroyed him...
Pete Rose accepted a punishment of being put permanently on MLB's "inelligible list" and MLB (via Comissioner Bart Giammatti) agreed to not issue a formal finding on his gambling on baseball and, more importantly, his own team. They had ample evidence that he did both. Under MLB rules, he could have applied for reinstatement. In my opinion, Rose had at least some support inside baseball circles and in the court of public opinion. He probably stood a pretty good chance of being reinstated at some point.

Instead of keeping his head down and biding his time, Rose took shots at Giammatti who died six months or so after Rose accepted punishment. He denied everything for 15 years (despite mountains of evidence) and called Giammatti and everybody involved in the investigation liars.

Rose was punished for hurting the product. He was destroyed because he continued to be what he had always been; a despicable human being who treated people like dirt and blamed everybody but himself whenever he faced adversity. He destroyed himself.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Tom Brady has not been CAUGHT cheating. The NFL is assuming it's 'more probable than not' that he did based on a questionable investigation.
I read the report.

Did you?

"More probable than not" simply means "we don't have him on video doing it." If you read the report there is NO DOUBT he did it. NONE.

1) McNally sneaks into the bathroom with the footballs (it's on video for Pete's sake - him entering it) and is gone long enough to deflate them, as was proven by testing. Not only that but he also did numerous things he NEVER did at any other time.

2) The Colts wrote an email the day before the game expressing concerns that NE might do this, saying it was well known around the league they did stuff like this.

3) 11 balls were deflated WELL BELOW the psi or the expected change. They hired outside experts to determine this. If you want to argue that it was the weather then you have to explain why the Colts balls did not similarly deflate.

4) Tom Brady had had NO phone contact with Jastremski for six months and then.......the moment it breaks......he calls him six times the next three days and exchanges numerous text messages that basically say "call me."

You now, it's more probable than not that Aaron Hernandez killed Odin Lloyd, too. We don't know because nobody saw him do it, but at some point you have to go with what the evidence shows. And this is pretty conclusive, esp since Brady wouldn't cooperate. And since Brady denied knowing McNally, which was established by multiple other sources. And since Brady gave him some free Patriots stuff for his help.

I mean, come on.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
LOL, how absurd. We're talking about footballs being deflated by an insignificant amount that had absolutely no impact on the result of the game. Not beating up a woman.
True enough. However, the whole "it didn't affect the outcome" does beg the question of WHY it was being done by the Patriots if NOT to affect the outcome positively for them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
[/FONT]
Now speaking of irrelevant.
So it's irrelevant the Patriots got caught breaking the rules. Ok.

And btw - any of you commenting here and saying the NFL does not take ownership of the footballs need to go READ THE DAMNED REPORT!! Because this is all covered in there. In fact, it was McNally acting improperly by disappearing with the footballs in violation f standard procedure that caused one of the concerns.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I thought Bazza was just having a little fun. At least that's how I took it.

I got that, but it's still a list of red herrings. Folks are arguing this and invoking ridiculous off the field stuff as if that has any bearing on whether the rules were broken or not. Well guess what? THEY WERE!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I agree with a lot of this but let me pick a few nits.

Pete Rose accepted a punishment of being put permanently on MLB's "inelligible list" and MLB (via Comissioner Bart Giammatti) agreed to not issue a formal finding on his gambling on baseball and, more importantly, his own team. They had ample evidence that he did both. Under MLB rules, he could have applied for reinstatement. In my opinion, Rose had at least some support inside baseball circles and in the court of public opinion. He probably stood a pretty good chance of being reinstated at some point.
ALL TRUE. Heck, Fay Vincent has even said Giamatti's inclination was to go lightly and suspend him for a year. Giamatti liked Pete Rose as did almost everyone who watched baseball (not named Ray Fosse).

Instead of keeping his head down and biding his time, Rose took shots at Giammatti who died six months or so after Rose accepted punishment.
He took shots at him before accepting the punishment, and Giammatti died eight days after the banishment.

He denied everything for 15 years (despite mountains of evidence) and called Giammatti and everybody involved in the investigation liars.
Pretty much. He was actually rather light on Giamatti (no sense riling up the dead guy's relatives) but he said multiple times that Bart was a fair guy who would have given him a chance. I don't know about the give him a chance part because the night he got banned Rose went on one of those QVC channels or whatever and hocked sports merchandise plus he went to jail for tax evasion (or whatever it's called). That surely didn't help his case.

Rose was punished for hurting the product.
He was punished for breaking the one unbreakable rule in baseball - a rule in place because of the Black Sox Scandal and one he knew well as it is posted in every clubhouse in MLB.

He was destroyed because he continued to be what he had always been; a despicable human being who treated people like dirt and blamed everybody but himself whenever he faced adversity. He destroyed himself.

And this - sadly - is all too true. Rose is still a monumental jerk to people. I forget who it was - it was one of the big names of the Big Red Machine (either Sparky, Morgan, Perez, or Bench...I think it was Morgan) - once observed that the very things that made Rose a VERY good ball player were the same things that destroyed him - disregard for obstacles and people, win at all costs, all that good stuff. And I believe it was Bench who said that he and Morgan wondered even back in the 1970s....."what is Pete gonna do when he doesn't have baseball" because - unlike the others - he didn't have any other interests or anything.

Good points CF.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
True enough. However, the whole "it didn't affect the outcome" does beg the question of WHY it was being done by the Patriots if NOT to affect the outcome positively for them.
Because he likes a football deflated just a bit from NFL standards? Maybe he has small hands, I don't know. What I do know is that football air pressure does not affect blocking, tackling, player speed or strength, the running game at all, how the defense plays, etc.

New England did not destroy Indianapolis due to deflated footballs. That much is certain. And that is why this is a trumped up controversy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Because he likes a football deflated just a bit from NFL standards? Maybe he has small hands, I don't know. What I do know is that football air pressure does not affect blocking, tackling, player speed or strength, the running game at all, how the defense plays, etc.

New England did not destroy Indianapolis due to deflated footballs. That much is certain. And that is why this is a trumped up controversy.
Look, Brady broke the rules. We can argue how stupid they seem to us but they're still the rules. No, it isn't "why" the Pats won but that's not even the point.

And funnily enough, we have Tide fans still angry over Cam Newton. Should we apply the same logic there? It wasn't the bucks that scored the touchdowns, either. Sure, Cam broke the rules but so what?

Tell me what the NFL was supposed to do. Not investigate it? What? As I said I'm neither Pats fan or foe but why folks can't just say "Brady knowingly broke the rules, lied, tried to hide it and is being punished," I'll never know.

It's that simple. Whether it affected the outcome of the game has no bearing on whether action should be taken.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also irrelevant to the question of whether or not the rules were broken.

Look, I'm outta here on this. I don't know of one person who has said the Colts would have won the game - but that's NOT the issue. Pretending it is is ridiculous.

And I'm guessing the reason the Patriots got socked two draft picks is because their counsel - after cooperating the entire investigation (NFL even said so) suddenly decided to NOT let McNally come back in to be re-questioned after they found tons of info that contradicted his prior claims. Why - again - would you do that if you were innocent? Nobody was going to jail here for Pete's sake.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.