Richard Pitino 'seriously' considered taking Alabama job, Rick Pitino says

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I have no words......

Link

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino released a lengthy statement in early April in the wake of a report that Alabama had expressed interest in hiring the son of famed coach Rick Pitino as the replacement for fired coach Anthony Grant.

Despite never being offered the Tide job according to sources close to the hiring process, Pitino withdrew his name from consideration for the Alabama position while emphasizing that he is "very happy" at Minnesota.

A month later — again, in spite of Pitino never being offered the Alabama job — Rick Pitino said during an interview on the "Jim Rome Show" Wednesday night that his son was "seriously considering" taking the position with the Tide before choosing to remain at Minnesota.

Richard Pitino, 32, is 43-28 in two seasons at Minnesota after going 18-14 in one season as the coach at FIU.

Alabama hired former NBA Coach of the Year Avery Johnson.

"I met with the Alabama athletic director in talking about different guys for that job and Richard's name came up," the elder Pitino told Rome, per the Sporting News. "Richard was seriously considering making that move. But he called me up and said 'You know, dad, Alabama is a great job, but I don't deserve it.'

"You know what, for a 32-year-old, that's about as proud as I can be as a dad. He was just so humble. He said, 'I haven't done enough to warrant any move or even consider any move. He said we've got a tough rebuilding job here at Minnesota and I'm going to get it done.'"

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Ha that's good stuff! So cute! It means we need to thank Mr. Battle for not saying "the job is yours if you want it lil Pitino"! It we didn't have CAJ this could be a fun read, but we do have CAJ and now it's laughable.
It's humorous in a pathetic, pitiful kind of way because it is blatantly obvious that jr is desperately trying to get out of Minnesota and papa is trying to help as much as possible. The story was so full of contradictions that it made my head hurt.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He is right. Little Ricky didn't deserve the Alabama job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.