Avery Johnson Jr to transfer to Alabama

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Kind of actually sounds like UNC's style of play under Roy Williams. Push the ball at all times. Drive and dish in the half court like a lot of NBA teams do. At least I hope so

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
thanks for the links and info in the multiple responses to my question! very interesting. based on those quotes, i am really looking forward to the product on the floor in the next couple of seasons (would love this season, but am being realistic). have to admit, i will wait to see the team doing these things before i go 100% on board. iirc, very similar things were said about xCAG's style of play, but it never materialized. if this DOES play out to be true, though, i believe it to be a very exciting style that fans and recruits will be interested in. *fingers crossed*

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
thanks for the links and info in the multiple responses to my question! very interesting. based on those quotes, i am really looking forward to the product on the floor in the next couple of seasons (would love this season, but am being realistic). have to admit, i will wait to see the team doing these things before i go 100% on board. iirc, very similar things were said about xCAG's style of play, but it never materialized. if this DOES play out to be true, though, i believe it to be a very exciting style that fans and recruits will be interested in. *fingers crossed*
I don't think they were, though. If you go back and read threads when CAG was hired, almost everything was about Florida, Donovan, and him winning at VCU, but nothing about his style. There were several posts about his PR and his demeanor. But almost nothing about scheme. I read through a couple of threads, and the closest I got to anything scheme-related was, "his teams play good defense." I remember myself liking Grant's demeanor and his relationship with Donovan and Florida but not really knowing much about his scheme.
To be fair, much of what people are saying about CAJ is about the NBA, coaching a team to the finals, and his NBA credentials. But I have a much more clear picture about what CAJ's team will look like than I did CAG when he was hired.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Uh coach, based on what I have seen, you better not rely too much on the 3pt shot as part of your offense...

Bottom line coach needs to show this year how he wants to play regardless of how its executed or what the win loss results are so he will have something to sell to future recruits who might be better equipped to execute his preferred style of play.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Avery Jr. made the move official today. Link
I assume this means he is on scholly? If so, we can only take 1 more player this year. IMHO we still need a big man (PF, C) that can contribute this year but perhaps we are done and are holding the scholly for next year although I would assume a walk-on (e.g. Schaffer) would receive a 1 year scholly. Quite frankly our roster at the moment concerns me going into next year. I know that year 1 of a new coach is usually a throw-away year but the optimistic side of me was hoping that CAJ could perform a miracle this coming season but unless we get another key player, I just don't see it happening.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
i wouldnt trip.
I assume this means he is on scholly? If so, we can only take 1 more player this year. IMHO we still need a big man (PF, C) that can contribute this year but perhaps we are done and are holding the scholly for next year although I would assume a walk-on (e.g. Schaffer) would receive a 1 year scholly. Quite frankly our roster at the moment concerns me going into next year. I know that year 1 of a new coach is usually a throw-away year but the optimistic side of me was hoping that CAJ could perform a miracle this coming season but unless we get another key player, I just don't see it happening.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.