Avery Johnson Jr to transfer to Alabama

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I've heard of schools hiring assistant coaches just to bring in players but did not realize this was the objective in hiring the head coach. <blue font>

Looks like there will be a decent practice squad for the 2015-16 season.

Refresh me on scholarship limitation rules. If Johnson, Jr. plays will he count towards the limit if he does not get a basketball scholarship? I'm guessing at the minimum he gets a family discount on tuition; would that come into play?

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Not excited about this transfer. I don't see how he tells Mitchell to kick rocks only to use a scholarship on his son.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I felt this was inevitable after the hire. Don't know what to think , but he will be the third-ranked point on the roster to the public and in at least in some ways the top point in his dad's mind, so that could be dicey. Hopefully the nepotism will be kept in check.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not sure what to think about this. I hope we aren't using a scholarship for him. That would be receiving unfair treatment and that can be a very slippery slope that can bleed into other things (playing time, equal treatment, etc).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not a fan of the coach's kid bring on the team unless he is a Alan Houston level talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I understand the concerns, but CAJ is a professional and it would be career suicide to fail to play the best option at any position. So I don't think we'll see his son be given any preferential treatment because every person in the stands will be judge and jury if a better player is sitting on the bench for the coach to play his son.

This guy has coached at the highest level. He'll handle it correctly.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
I understand the concerns, but CAJ is a professional and it would be career suicide to fail to play the best option at any position. So I don't think we'll see his son be given any preferential treatment because every person in the stands will be judge and jury if a better player is sitting on the bench for the coach to play his son.

This guy has coached at the highest level. He'll handle it correctly.

100% correct.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
How good is his son? Maybe it's a Doc Rivers type thing. You think you can get the most out of your kid as Doc seems to be doing by looking at the way his kid is playing against Houston.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Mystical, Jeff Garrett was a 3 star on Rivals and had a 260 rating on 247. Most thought he was a reach and not a major D1 prospect. Devin Mitchell was a Top 100 player according to ESPN. Both were essentially instructed to look for other opportunities. In the same recruiting class Johnson JR was not rated by Rivals and had a 350 rating by 247. He would be the lowest recruit we've signed in 3 years.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Don't know if we are using a scholarship on him or not. But I don't really care either way. CAJ is going to be busting his tail. He is moving his family to tuscaloosa. Why would his son potentially want to stay in college station if is no threat to play soon? Come be with your dad and rest of your family if I am junior. For CAJ how often do you get to coach your son? As far as I am concerned this just shows me that coach is even more committed to building our program.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
How good is his son? Maybe it's a Doc Rivers type thing. You think you can get the most out of your kid as Doc seems to be doing by looking at the way his kid is playing against Houston.
That's what I was thinking. Doc Rivers' son destroyed the Rockets last night.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Austin Rivers was a top 10 high school recruit and a lottery pick (17th overall if I remember correctly). CAJ's son is neither of those. That's not a good comparison at all..

The Playmaker

2nd Team
Jan 9, 2011
T-town
Austin Rivers was a top 10 high school recruit and a lottery pick (17th overall if I remember correctly). CAJ's son is neither of those. That's not a good comparison at all..
Austin was a bust until he played for his father. Doesn't matter what level of talent a player is when the point trying to be made is sometimes a father-son duo works out.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Austin Rivers is terrible comparison on all fronts. Don't be a prisoner to the moment. Yes, he had a great game in a blowout. He still only averaged 7 points a game with the Clippers. Yes, he's coach's, son but he's not as good a prospect as players who were told to look elsewhere.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Austin Rivers is terrible comparison on all fronts. Don't be a prisoner to the moment. Yes, he had a great game in a blowout. He still only averaged 7 points a game with the Clippers. Yes, he's coach's, son but he's not as good a prospect as players who were told to look elsewhere.
Let's discuss this again in three or four years. Wasn't he a three star player in high school? If he can shoot accurately, distribute the ball effectively, and get lots of assists, he could be a good one.

There's a guy playing for the Chicago Bulls who no one really recruited out of high school. He went to junior college in Texas for a year then to Marquette University and just continued to improve. He is now with the Chicago Bulls. So, sometimes, you just never know.

Here's hoping Avery is a great success at Bama. I don't care whose son he is if he contributes greatly to Bama's success.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Let's discuss this again in three or four years. Wasn't he a three star player in high school? If he can shoot accurately, distribute the ball effectively, and get lots of assists, he could be a good one.

There's a guy playing for the Chicago Bulls who no one really recruited out of high school. He went to junior college in Texas for a year then to Marquette University and just continued to improve. He is now with the Chicago Bulls. So, sometimes, you just never know.

Here's hoping Avery is a great success at Bama. I don't care whose son he is if he contributes greatly to Bama's success.
He was only a 3 star in 247 ratings. He was not rated by ESPN or Rivals. 247 is very generous with their stars. In the 2014 class Avery Johnson Jr was a 3 star by 247. They listed him as the 355th ranked player in the nation. The 70th ranked PG in the nation. By comparison, Devin Mitchell was a 4 star by 247 in 2014. They ranked him as the 120th player in the nation. He was the 32nd ranked SG in the nation. Rivals and ESPN gave Mitchell 3 stars. 247 Rated Jeff Garrett a 3 star and the 260th player in the nation. It's no secret that Coach Johnson isn't satisfied with our current roster. Jr played in 13 games for a total of 56 minutes for A&M last year. He scored 18 points. I don't see how he helps. I really hope he isn't on scholarship at Bama. I want success, but this one I can't spin for positive. Jimmy Butler's high school situation was different. He was homeless and I don't remember him playing AAU. That's a recipe for no exposure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.