Avery Johnson Jr to transfer to Alabama

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Welcome AJ, Jr.! Fan's never cease to amaze me! Last week people were complaining that we didn't have enough players to fill the roster and then when we pick up two more players "LATE" in the signing season they aren't happy with who we got!

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I like it.

Now, if AJjr turns the ball over repeatedly, and he continues to play over a hot 3-pt shooter, I'll start to complain. But, really, who didn't see this coming the day news broke that CAJ was coming to Bama? And, who expressed fear then?

And, while Devin Mitchell was a more highly touted recruit, it's not like Mitchell had a much bigger freshman year. In fact, I think you could argue AJ jr had a better freshman year (scored more points despite playing fewer games and fewer minutes per game).

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Welcome AJ, Jr.! Fan's never cease to amaze me! Last week people were complaining that we didn't have enough players to fill the roster and then when we pick up two more players "LATE" in the signing season they aren't happy with who we got!
Agreed. Correct me if I'm wrong but Avery Jr was on scholly at A&M. Some act like we are getting a walk-on who can't play in our league. Last time I checked they play pretty good ball in College Station.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Everyone including myself complained when Grant never used the scholarships and now everyone is complaining that we have a coach who finally is. a father son combo is great no complaints from me.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
He was only a 3 star in 247 ratings. He was not rated by ESPN or Rivals. 247 is very generous with their stars. In the 2014 class Avery Johnson Jr was a 3 star by 247. They listed him as the 355th ranked player in the nation. The 70th ranked PG in the nation. By comparison, Devin Mitchell was a 4 star by 247 in 2014. They ranked him as the 120th player in the nation. He was the 32nd ranked SG in the nation. Rivals and ESPN gave Mitchell 3 stars. 247 Rated Jeff Garrett a 3 star and the 260th player in the nation. It's no secret that Coach Johnson isn't satisfied with our current roster. Jr played in 13 games for a total of 56 minutes for A&M last year. He scored 18 points. I don't see how he helps. I really hope he isn't on scholarship at Bama. I want success, but this one I can't spin for positive. Jimmy Butler's high school situation was different. He was homeless and I don't remember him playing AAU. That's a recipe for no exposure.
I believe he is on scholarship......I don't care for ratings too much.....and I'm not bothered by the fact that he played 56 minutes and scored 18 points last season (he was a freshman in a team loaded at his position so obviously he wouldn't get much playing time) if not for nothing else, he will provide depth at the point guard position....I'm not really bothered by this move at all....I'll give you a perfect example....Coach Alford at UCLA has his son playing for him (Bryce Alford). He was not highly recruited at all yet he has been UCLA's best player since joining the team. These situations do work sometimes. Try to look at the positive

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Going to guess AJ, Jr. will have a very good idea of how to run his dad's system. The knowledge of the system is more important than his recruiting ranking or any stats while at TAMU. He essentially can serve as another coach to get the other players accustomed to what CAJ wants to run.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Going to guess AJ, Jr. will have a very good idea of how to run his dad's system. The knowledge of the system is more important than his recruiting ranking or any stats while at TAMU. He essentially can serve as another coach to get the other players accustomed to what CAJ wants to run.
Like - Thanks.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Thanks for the puff of logic, out of the cloud of negativity...

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
..... and he has a year to develop and get better before hitting the floor when it counts.

I just don't see this scenario as bad for anyone. Especially the Johnson family. Just ROLL with it Tide Fans. :cool:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Agreed. In fact, you could say he's "grown up" in his dad's system.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
what IS his dad's system? all i've read so far is a comment that he wanted a big to get rebounds, hit the floor and run to the other end on defense. pretty vague. i am not an NBA guy, so i have no knowledge of what his teams looked like. just looking for some insight as to what to expect next season. could someone please enlighten me?

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
what IS his dad's system? all i've read so far is a comment that he wanted a big to get rebounds, hit the floor and run to the other end on defense. pretty vague. i am not an NBA guy, so i have no knowledge of what his teams looked like. just looking for some insight as to what to expect next season. could someone please enlighten me?
Good question!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
CAJ's Resume

Johnson is, by all accounts, a very principled person with strongly held personal beliefs and the same can be said about his coaching style. He’s earned the nickname "Little General" for his small stature, his relationship with former teammate David (the Admiral) Robinson and his reputation of something of a disciplinarian and a taskmaster.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From a BOL link:

Johnson also said he and the men's basketball program will produce an announcement next week regarding the addition of another player to his roster at Alabama.

Earlier this month, a report surfaced that Johnson's son Avery Johnson Jr., who chose to transfer from Texas A&M this offseason, would join his father in Tuscaloosa. On Tuesday, Johnson gave an update on his son's upcoming decision.

"Avery Jr. will take an official visit in the first week of June, and I'm saying that as his father," Johnson said. "... The plan right now is for Avery Jr. to redshirt next year."

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I looked into this when he was hired. Here's a link.

The system I wanted to implement sprang from my overall philosophy of being the aggressor, not a reactor, on the basketball court.
There's a lot more in the link, but that's a general summary.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is what CAJ told reporters yesterday in Destin:

Johnson was asked what he meant when he told Alabama fans to "buckle up."

"Just buckle up with what we're going to do in terms of recruiting and also our style of play," Johnson said. "We want to play a faster tempo. We want to play a little bit more of an NBA tempo, and hopefully our fans will enjoy our product of the way we can shoot the 3. With our guys that can play above the rim, we want them to play above the rim. We have a lot of quickness in our backcourt with guys that can push the ball up the floor. So hopefully once I get my arms around this team — it's not going to happen in the first week — hopefully as the season goes on we'll get better and better and play faster and faster.

"But it's going to start this summer. We've got to get in better shape. We have to get our system in place. So when we say 'buckle up,' let's take our fans on the ride of their lives, and it's not necessarily going to happen, again, in the first month or the first year, but I'm hoping as time moves on in my tenure as coach they'll have to put their seatbelts on tighter and tighter because of the product we're going to put on the floor and the furious style that we're going to play — and pressing and trapping and running and gunning."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.