Winston strikes back with a counter suit

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I read that the lawyers are getting $700K and Erica Kinsman is getting $250K. That split seems a little out of whack..

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Is it possible for him to prove she did this with the intention of harming his character? If not, I don't think there's a defamation case. To me, it sounds like she consented and then later regretted it, so she reported him for rape which couldn't be proven (some twists I know but nothing too complex -- if it is, you should stay off the interwebs). This doesn't make me think Jameison is a stand-up guy though. To be sure, he's a punk but he's done nothing so far that I would vote to send him to jail for if I was on a jury. And there's nothing that I would vote in favor of Jameison's case here either.

Last edited:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Is it possible for him to prove she did this with the intention of harming his character? If not, I don't think there's a defamation case. To me, it sounds like she consented and then later regretted it. This doesn't make me think Jameison is a stand-up guy though. To be sure, he's a punk but he's done nothing so far that I would vote to send him to jail for if I was on a jury.
Have we even has evidence present to a jury. Seems a lot of things the criminal justice system was supposed to do didnt happen. Why did FSU shell out $950K. Somethings not right with the him anyway....

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Have we even has evidence present to a jury. Seems a lot of things the criminal justice system was supposed to do didnt happen. Why did FSU shell out $950K. Somethings not right with the him anyway....
Put it down as the cost of doing business the FSU way.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not that I don't take your word, but I'd be interested in reading where you saw them discussing the split. No doubt her lawyers fees were sizeable. Tried to wait until no one was looking ay, FSU?

I couldn't find a link that explicitly gave the breakdown of the settlement. Andrew Brandt, a 25 year sports executive and ESPN business analyst, tweeted this out. Not sure how he knows but he is normally spot on with his information..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone familiar with the FACTS of the case knows that Winston took advantage of this girl. May never be able to prove it in court, but he did it.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It appears the suit against Winston is still making its way thru the court system. I suspect he will settle long before this goes to trail. My guess would be that FSU paying 950,000 will somewhat bolster her case.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Any course of action that results in Winston being under oath will likely not end well for him.
That's assuming he has a problem committing perjury. Methinks, he doesn't have any problem with lying. Seems to me he had no problem getting two of his football buddies to lie for him so I don't think he will have any moral dilemma lying under oath.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The lawyers deny getting $700,00

While Thrasher's statement claimed $700,000 of the settlement is going to Kinsman's attorneys, that is not accurate. Though a copy of the settlement, reviewed by The Huffington Post, states that number, immediately after it says that does not necessarily reflect the actual divvying up of the settlement amount. It goes on to say that the actual division of the settlement will be exclusively decided by Kinsman and her attorneys.
Kinsman's lawyer, John Clune, declined to say exactly how much will go to the attorneys, citing attorney-client privilege. However, Clune told HuffPost that Thrasher's "impression of the attorney fees is massively overstated," and the university administration knows it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-rape-allegations_us_56a65b44e4b076aadcc74fd9

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Does sound like FSU spun it, why else bring up that eye popping, now disputed distribution.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
It appears the suit against Winston is still making its way thru the court system...My guess would be that FSU paying 950,000 will somewhat bolster her case.
Not necessarily. The Title IX suit (as I understand it) hinges on the allegation that FSU mishandled her complaint, irrespective of whether it had any merit. Winston could be innocent as a lamb (and I'm not saying he is), and it would make no difference to the alleged Title IX infraction.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not necessarily. The Title IX suit (as I understand it) hinges on the allegation that FSU mishandled her complaint, irrespective of whether it had any merit. Winston could be innocent as a lamb (and I'm not saying he is), and it would make no difference to the alleged Title IX infraction.
The cover-up though is in and of itself an implication. If they never thought this had any merit, it could have easily been dealt with immediately.

However, this was the sort of thing that needed time. Winston needed to lawyer up, a video had to be destroyed, people had to get their stories straight and they really needed to impart to the victim how she'd be better off doing nothing...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

FSU booster group to pay attorney fees from lawsuit

Florida State University's booster organization will pay most of the defense fees from a lawsuit brought by a former student who said the school failed to adequately investigate allegations that she was raped by quarterback Jameis Winston.

Seminole Boosters Chairman David Rancourt said in an email to members that the organization will pay about $1.3 million of the university's $1.7 million legal fees. The state's Risk Management Fund will pay the remainder and the $950,000 settlement to Erica Kinsman and her attorneys. The Title IX lawsuit was settled Monday.

Rancourt said the group has long provided supplemental funding to be used by the school.

Those funds came from money generated by business operations and not private donations that fund student-athlete scholarships and athletics.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.