Slow recruiting class

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
This years class sure seems to be starting out slow.

Should we be worried at this point, or are there still a lot of 5-star guys out there that we have a good shot with?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From all accounts, Saban has told the coaches to reevaluate each recruit in order to make sure they don't make mistakes when taking a commitment from a player.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
2 commits today should make the OP feel better.

I think Saban likes seeing players in person. After summer camps, we will have a few more I'm sure.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Should we be worried at this point, or are there still a lot of 5-star guys out there that we have a good shot with?
You just answered your own question.........:cool2:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
There's absolutely nothing wrong about your statement, we are considerably slower on issuing committable offers this year relative to previous years. At the moment we are ranked 12th with our current haul, with only 8 commits (4x4* and 4x3*) As the others have said, coaches are "re-evaluating" the recruits, and personally I believe we are just simply being much more selective, searching for specific prospects to play specific roles and fill specific needs, "cherry picking" if you will.

The top 5 teams as it stands now are;
Florida State w/ 3x5*, 14 total commits
Ohio State w/ 1x5*, 15 total commits
Miami w/ 20 total commits
Ole Miss w/ 1x5*, 12 total commits
LSU w/ 2x5*, 9 total commits

And fwiw, Shyheim Carter should be a 5*, kid has the athletic ability and talent to make an impact earlier rather than later.

Should we worry?
I don't think a single person here is worried, just observing and discussing the abnormal trend. I would be interested to know when the last time we have been this "low" in the recruiting rankings since Coach Saban came to Tuscaloosa. It's not a question of 'if' we make a push to the top 5 but rather 'when'.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
As of now it has been reported we lead for 3 - 5* that I am aware of.

Rashan Gary - DT - NJ - #1 DT and #1 overall player on 247Sports

Lyndell Wilson - LB - AL - #1 OLB and #8 overall player on 247Sports (family are big Bama fans)

Ben Davis - LB - AL - #4 OLB and #20 overall player on 247Sports (legacy)

Many think we have a 50/50 shot at Willie Allen. He is the a 5* and #3 OT and #22 overall player on 247Sports. He is from New Orleans and LSWho is our main competitor.

If we get commitments from 3 or all 4 along with our typical 4* haul we will be #1 again.

Don't worry, be happy and let the process do what it always does.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
As of now it has been reported we lead for 3 - 5* that I am aware of.

Rashan Gary - DT - NJ - #1 DT and #1 overall player on 247Sports

Lyndell Wilson - LB - AL - #1 OLB and #8 overall player on 247Sports (family are big Bama fans)

Ben Davis - LB - AL - #4 OLB and #20 overall player on 247Sports (legacy)

Many think we have a 50/50 shot at Willie Allen. He is the a 5* and #3 OT and #22 overall player on 247Sports. He is from New Orleans and LSWho is our main competitor.

If we get commitments from 3 or all 4 along with our typical 4* haul we will be #1 again.

Don't worry, be happy and let the process do what it always does.
Better than 50-50 with Allen. His role model is our Starting LT. Also, we are quietly gaining ground on Little from Texas. I expect two more OT commits in this class. Also, we lead for Williams OT in DC.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Better than 50-50 with Allen. His role model is our Starting LT. Also, we are quietly gaining ground on Little from Texas. I expect two more OT commits in this class. Also, we lead for Williams OT in DC.
Good to hear on Allen. I'm sure Cam is in his hear telling him he would be next up. We are in the mix on 2 or 3 highly rated JUCO OT's also. You can tell the staff is putting OT at the top of our priority list this year.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Good to hear on Allen. I'm sure Cam is in his hear telling him he would be next up. We are in the mix on 2 or 3 highly rated JUCO OT's also. You can tell the staff is putting OT at the top of our priority list this year.
Yep, and personally I`m very glad. I think it`s been shown that if you control the line of scrimmage you`ll win a LOT​ more than you lose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.