News Article: Avery Johnson Q&A: NBA Lifer Makes Jump to College Game

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Avery Johnson is a man in transition. After over 25 years in the NBA, Johnson is now fully entrenched in college basketball as the new head coach at the University of Alabama. CBS Sports Network and CBSSports.com's Jon Rothstein sat down with Johnson to discuss his first month on the job in Tuscaloosa, what he learned during his time in the media over the past few years, and what style of play he hopes to implement with the Crimson Tide.

Jon Rothstein, CBSSports.com: So if someone told you two months ago that you'd be the head coach of an SEC school right now, what do you think your reaction would have been?

Avery Johnson: Wow. I would have asked that person, are you crazy? I was pretty comfortable at ESPN in doing what I was doing. I had my eyes on some NBA jobs and was tracking those, but I got a phone call gauging my interest in another high-profile college job and then I got this phone call from Bill Battle about this job. We then met and talked about everything here at Alabama and one thing led to another. But I would have said two months ago if somebody asked me that, are you crazy?

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Nice article. Here is another quote I found interesting:
I'm still trying to add two to three more players to this current roster --- hopefully some players with experience because we have enough freshman and sophomores. We'll figure out a style of play that fits us the best and adjust accordingly...

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Nice article. Here is another quote I found interesting:
I'm still trying to add two to three more players to this current roster --- hopefully some players with experience because we have enough freshman and sophomores. We'll figure out a style of play that fits us the best and adjust accordingly...
He repeated the same on a radio interview this morning on JOX. He basically said that a transfer guy doesn't even really need to have had great stats at his previous stop, as long as he is seasoned and knows how to play the game. Or something along those lines. He wants some experienced ball-players.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.