Link: Nick Saban Explains Pros, Cons of Cost of Attendance

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

"I think the concept of giving players more in terms of what their scholarship is is something that all of us as coaches were for," Saban said Tuesday. "And I want to make sure that everybody out there knows that I'm very supportive of that. To do it the way we did it is going to be a nightmare because we've spent 100 years in the NCAA trying to make everything equal -- no extra benefits, nobody can get something that somebody else couldn't get.

"And now you leave it up to the institution, and I think some people have manipulated their numbers because they've significantly changed from last year to this year. And that's not the spirit of this rule. Everybody has historically, from an academic standpoint, has tried to keep the cost of attendance down. It's a benefit to the students, it's a benefit to their scholarships. So now all of a sudden, it's going to be different, and I don't think that's good.

"In every competitive league, whether it's the NFL or whatever, does everything they can to create parity. So now you've taken the basic No. 1 thing and made it unequal for some schools. Whether we were at the top of the bottom, I would feel the same way about that because I don't think this is something that should manipulated to create an advantage for yourself in recruiting."

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Auburn, surprise, surprise, I think has stated they had the highest cost of attendance in the conference behind I believe Vandy and that is just what will be on the books. Actually, come to think of it, it might cost them less with the cost of attendance than what they were paying before. The conference or the NCAA has to set these cost of attendance figures or schools like Auburn will make a joke of the rule. They will manipulate the system in any way they can to give themselves an unfair advantage. IOW, business as usual on the plains.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Yep. Coach Saban sees what's going on. Georgia, A&M, Vandy and Alabama are not fudging numbers. Maybe Richt and Co are just slow on the draw but I think we all see who is willing to start this arms race. In a way, I don't blame AU and UT because, let's face it, no one with a brain is in charge of this little bit o' NASCAR. Hopefully, the "slow to awaken" will shut this nonsense down in a hurry. Geniuses.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm guessing that Georgia, TAMU, and Alabama are probably waiting for better guidance before determining a metric. There is just no way Auburn and Starkville have a higher cost of living than Tuscaloosa. Especially since the tornado wiped out a decent chunk of the rental housing around the campus and it was replaced by condo/apartment complexes that are likely pretty expensive.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Especially since the tornado wiped out a decent chunk of the rental housing around the campus and it was replaced by condo/apartment complexes that are likely pretty expensive.
Don't even get me started. A lot of that new housing is empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Honestly, I'm concerned for the University and City of Tuscaloosa. It is pretty clear a lot of money came this way during the recession because the student growth helped shield the area from the collapse in housing more so than areas without a huge flagship university. I get the feeling that this is a bubble that will burst and devastate the city if the student growth slows or even starts to decline.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.