The Land of Microaggression

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I feel sorry for those who attend college in today's world. There's some messed up, namby pamby thinking going on out there:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/418273/university-report-room-full-white-people-microaggression-katherine-timpf

According to a new report released by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, just “walking into or sitting in” a classroom full of white people is a microaggression in itself.
The report, titled “Racial Microaggressions,” was based on an online survey of more than 4,800 students of color during the 2011–12 academic year, and it found more than 800 examples of such microaggressions on campus. Now, that may seem like a lot — but it’s important to recognize that this high number could signify the prevalence of a tendency to assume that almost anything is racist rather than the prevalence of racism itself.
And for those who see microagressions everywhere:

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/08/30/we-are-responsible-for-our-own-feelings/

Michael Edelstein, in his book Three Minute Therapy, argues the line of cognitive-behaviorists and rational emotive therapists have argued for decades. External events and people cannot make us feel any one certain way, even though it often seems that way.
In other words, our beliefs and expectations about a person or event or situation directly influence and, many would argue, cause our feelings. They are not the result of or inherent in of the situation itself. Others do not cause our feelings — we cause them ourselves.
So next time you’re feeling down about someone’s comment to you, or a situation that “made you” feel awful, consider that the pain and distress you are feeling is in your hands. And so is the solution.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Michael Edelstein, in his book Three Minute Therapy, argues the line of cognitive-behaviorists and rational emotive therapists have argued for decades. External events and people cannot make us feel any one certain way, even though it often seems that way.
Clearly, Michale Edelstein never met Katie Hightower, the cheerleader who swam in the lane next to me in swimming class on Tuesdays and Thursdays freshman year.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Heh.

As a group of students begins studying for a calculus exam, a white student turns to an Asian peer and says, “Hey, would you mind helping me solve this problem? It’s really difficult, but you can probably do it.” The Asian student agrees to help, but for some reason feels uncomfortable with the way the question was asked. Is the Asian student being oversensitive? Was the white student subtly and subconsciously displaying racial prejudice against Asians? Could both be true?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That is an amazing article.
So, if a group of students who sign up for a class arrive early, and lo, and behold, all of these students are white, and then a black student arrives, that amounts to a micro-aggression? How dare these students attend class while white?

Looking at the report cited, why are all the "students of color" on the cover of the report black (not African-American, but jet black)? Isn't that racism?

Looking at the list of contributors, I'm reminded of a colleague's pronouncement on the rigor of the science of sociology: "If correlation was causation, we'd have a lot more respect for sociology than we do."

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
A bunch of gobblety goop. I remember taking a sociology class and had the professor tell us at the start of the semester that each time someone used a genderbased word, they would have points deducted from their grade. He sated that we don't realize how much words such as "postman", "policeman" etc harmed women.
I went home and told my mother of this and she lit up. Anyone who knows my mother knows that while sweet, she is a strong and independent woman. She said that she would have loved to have been in his classroom when he made that statement and she would have told him how ignorant he was to believe that women are such fragile flowers that a word could harm them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A bunch of gobblety goop. I remember taking a sociology class and had the professor tell us at the start of the semester that each time someone used a genderbased word, they would have points deducted from their grade. He sated that we don't realize how much words such as "postman", "policeman" etc harmed women.
I went home and told my mother of this and she lit up. Anyone who knows my mother knows that while sweet, she is a strong and independent woman. She said that she would have loved to have been in his classroom when he made that statement and she would have told him how ignorant he was to believe that women are such fragile flowers that a word could harm them.
What did he do if a first year student identified his scholastic classification using the university approved word?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Clearly, Michale Edelstein never met Katie Hightower, the cheerleader who swam in the lane next to me in swimming class on Tuesdays and Thursdays freshman year.
Catfish swimming!! Cat, water, pool. Get it.:)

External events can't make you feel a certain way but they sure can precipitate feeling a certain way. Death of a spouse, parent or child. etc etc etc.

Trying being the only white person in a situation. You might feel micro aggression.! Class room? Chicago ghetto at night?

I feel micro aggressed on TFNS every time I post the wonderful truth about President Obama

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
If there are one or two black students in a class of mostly white students they are pretty safe. If the situation is changed I would say the white student is in danger because I see blacks at this time more aggressively racist then whites are.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Catfish swimming!! Cat, water, pool. Get it.:)

External events can't make you feel a certain way but they sure can precipitate feeling a certain way. Death of a spouse, parent or child. etc etc etc.

Trying being the only white person in a situation. You might feel micro aggression.! Class room? Chicago ghetto at night?

I feel micro aggressed on TFNS every time I post the wonderful truth about President Obama

I must have missed that post...:rolleyes:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
"A Summer Break from Campus Muzzling":

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20150531/OPINION02/150539940/-1/opinion02

On campuses, the right of free speech has been supplanted by an entitlement to what Greg Lukianoff of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education calls a right to freedom from speech deemed uncongenial. This entitlement is buttressed by "trigger warnings" against spoken "micro-aggressions" that lacerate the delicate sensibilities of individuals who are encouraged to be exquisitely, paralyzingly sensitive.

In a booklet for the "Encounter Broadside" series, Lukianoff says "sensitivity-based censorship" on campus reflects a broader and global phenomena.

It is the demand for coercive measures to do for our mental lives what pharmacology has done for our bodies - the banishment or mitigation of many discomforts. In the social milieu fostered by today's entitlement state, expectations quickly generate entitlements.

Students are taught to expect intellectual comfort, including the reinforcement of their beliefs, or at least those that conform to progressive orthodoxies imbibed and enforced on campuses. Until September, however, the culture of freedom will be safe from its cultured despisers.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.consumerstar.org/resources/pdf/racialmicroaggressions.pdf

So there are three types of microagressions:

1. Microassault - this is supposed to be "old-fashioned" racism and would include displays of the Confederate flag

2. Microinsult - saying, "I believe the most qualified person should get the job," is a microinsult

3. Microinvalidation - saying, "We are all human beings" or "All lives matter" or "America is the land of opportunity" or "Everyone can succeed if they work hard enough," is a microinvalidation

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Every one of those suggestions are macroaggressions on those of us who value freedom and free thinking. The fact that some are insecure in themselves does not entitle them to control the narrative. Two can play at that game and the battle to divide society to distract from other problems will go on and on.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Absolute garbage.
I heard a professor in the 1970's saying something about "garbage in, garbage out". Does that mean that they read, study, scientifically test, analyze and then synthesize garbage and then disseminate it to their students and therefore try to influence the masses through their gullible students?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.