2015 Athlon Top 25 countdown

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Bama is either unranked or in the top two. At this point, I think it's a safe bet OSU is #1 and Bama #2.

I'm shocked we're ranked that high after losing basically all starting skill positions on offense along with some OL...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Bama is either unranked or in the top two. At this point, I think it's a safe bet OSU is #1 and Bama #2.

I'm shocked we're ranked that high after losing basically all starting skill positions on offense along with some OL...
I agree but it is the beast that has been created and the next man up mentality. Vegas has us as the #2 odds so there is a huge national public perception that we just re-load and keep winning which is probably unrealistic every single year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

It will most likely be
1.tOSU
2.TCU
3. Bama/Auburn
4.Oregon/USC

They will probably give TCU the courtesy preseason ranking like they gave Ole Miss in 09. I think more people are debating whether Alabama's qb concern is more of an issue or is Auburn's defense really worlds better or more of the same that it was last year.

As far as our skill. I think Amari made our skill position look better than what it was last year. White was ok and CJ had good highs but horrible lows. We might actually be better skill wise all together than what we were last year. I dont think we will have an Amari cooper type player, but Stewart,Foster, Drake, and OJ (IF he ever turns up his game) are really good playmakers.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It will most likely be
1.tOSU
2.TCU
3. Bama/Auburn
4.Oregon/USC
?

It's updated, this is how it currently stands:
3 Baylor
4 Auburn
5 TCU
6 USC
7 Mich St
8 Oregon
9 FSU
10 Georgia
11 Mississippi
12 Notre Dame
13 Arizona State
14 Clemson
15 LSU
16 Arkansas
17 Oklahoma
18 Ga Tech
19 Wisconsin
20 Tex A&M
21 Miss St
22 Tennessee
23 UCLA
24 Stanford
25 Boise

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
?

It's updated, this is how it currently stands:
3 Baylor
4 Auburn
5 TCU
6 USC
7 Mich St
8 Oregon
9 FSU
10 Georgia
11 Mississippi
12 Notre Dame
13 Arizona State
14 Clemson
15 LSU
16 Arkansas
17 Oklahoma
18 Ga Tech
19 Wisconsin
20 Tex A&M
21 Miss St
22 Tennessee
23 UCLA
24 Stanford
25 Boise
oh didnt see it, but Athlon probably just lost all credibility by putting Baylor above TCU.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
TCU hasn't won the Big 12 but Baylor has the past two years (if you count head to head) and Baylor is 3-2 against TCU the past five years, so I guess Athlon went with history.
History is great but TCU is the more complete team and without bryce petty I dont know why anyone would have any kinda warmfuzzies about Baylor. Baylor will probably be behind TCU and Oklahoma at seasons end.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yes. That was part of the "joke": Hill won't play until next year. Then they will be invincible. (Cough, cough....blue font required.)

O/T, but I did not expect him to hang around aTm with Murray going down there. I saw them play against each other, when Murray was just a Sophomore. Guess who won.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
History is great but TCU is the more complete team and without bryce petty I dont know why anyone would have any kinda warmfuzzies about Baylor. Baylor will probably be behind TCU and Oklahoma at seasons end.
TCU and Mississippi State are at the same crossroads. They have both "made it" and now must figure out how to "maintain it." I am not saying TCU won't maintain but they may find a bump in the road this year. Baylor has already maintained for three years, so they know how to do it. 10-3, 8-5, 11-2 11-2.

TCU maintained in Group of Five and now have to maintain in Power Five. 7-6, 4-8 & 12-1. I just think it will take this year for them to settle in. Mississippi State has their work cut out, for unlike TCU have lost a lot to graduation.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

That is what they had back in December with:

A Very Early College Football Top 25 for 2015

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2015

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Returning starters has not turned out to be the end-all indicator, but what else is there to look at unless one knows the personnel on every team from top to bottom? Highly unlikely.

Baylor returns 8 starters on offense and 9 on defense. TCU returns 9 on offense and but 5 on defense. So perhaps TCU is not the more complete team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Returning starters has not turned out to be the end-all indicator, but what else is there to look at unless one knows the personnel on every team from top to bottom? Highly unlikely.

Baylor returns 8 starters on offense and 9 on defense. TCU returns 9 on offense and but 5 on defense. So perhaps TCU is not the more complete team.
The problem is art briles has no clue about how to coach defense. He is like any other offensive heavy coach sacrificing defense for offense so I don't think that edge on defensive returning starters really matters much. I do however think them losing Bryce petty hurts a lot while tcu returns Boykin. With that said, both will lose to Oklahoma so this really doesn't matter that much but I think tv his better than Baylor

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The problem is art briles has no clue about how to coach defense. He is like any other offensive heavy coach sacrificing defense for offense so I don't think that edge on defensive returning starters really matters much. I do however think them losing Bryce petty hurts a lot while tcu returns Boykin. With that said, both will lose to Oklahoma so this really doesn't matter that much but I think tv his better than Baylor[/QUOTE]

Has Bob Stoops reinvented himself? :)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The problem is art briles has no clue about how to coach defense. He is like any other offensive heavy coach sacrificing defense for offense so I don't think that edge on defensive returning starters really matters much. I do however think them losing Bryce petty hurts a lot while tcu returns Boykin. With that said, both will lose to Oklahoma so this really doesn't matter that much but I think tv his better than Baylor[/QUOTE]

Has Bob Stoops reinvented himself? :)
Since Bob Stoops lost being "Big Game Bob" aspect after being whipped by Saban and Carroll in back to back years, he has had years where he was picked to win big in seasons only to be the laughing stock, and then he has years where loses to Texas but sneaks in a Big 12 title, and then he has years where he beats people he isnt supposed to but loses to people he isnt supposed to. He more or less is a more accomplished Mark Richt but both are dangerous in the right circumstances. I believe he whips Baylor regardless, but him having TCU at home is a tossup. Personally I dont care who wins the Big 12 unless it decides our fate, but I just think Baylor is getting alot of unnecessary love from Athlon.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And realize something else about MSU - do you realize that might actually be a BETTER TEAM this year and not even come close to their fun of last year? It's one thing to do that when you sneak up on everyone - it's another thing altogether to do it when folks are gunning for you. (This is what makes our three in four so phenomenally wonderful).

In 2010, Auburn snuck up on everybody. The next year one can argue they were basically "regressing to the mean" of what Auburn football is. In 2012, they sunk so low that nobody took them seriously - and the result was a BCSNCG in 2013. Last year, folks took them seriously again and they went right back to being Auburn. Not only did they go right back to their normal 8-5, but they should have lost the Ole Miss game (without the most freak injury at the most consequential time perhaps in history). Plus, K-State would have beaten them had they had a kicking game and South Carolina would probably have won had it been in Williams-Brice.

My point being that teams are what they are and you can actually be BETTER than the previous year and yet have a worse record because you cannot sneak up on people. MSU was unbeaten going into the 2012 Alabama game - something none of them expected and several even told me they'd find out how good they were against us. It turned out......not so great. Then they regressed to slightly above the normal in 2013 but got hot at the end. Then - in 2014 - they had a talented team, got a few breaks, and played slightly above their abilities and with enthusiasm.

Go back and look at how much more pressure they were under when they nearly lost to UK (who was not very good at all) and then did lose to us compared to when they were beating LSU and Auburn. Since Dak is back, I expect MSU to be a pretty good team this year, but in the SEC West only four plays often separates the division champion from the leader of the bottom half.

I fully expect Auburn to be a 9-4 or 8-5 team this year and the calls for Malzahn's scalp will begin. They don't have a week off after October 10 and their schedule coming down the stretch is AT Arkansas, hosting Ole Miss, AT aTm, and hosting UGA. This is after they've already opened against Louisville and then played AT LSU and hosted MSU in September.

Anything less than 10-2 and the natives get restless. You watch, especially if they lose early. This is a team that fired (er, he resigned but only to avoid being fired) their greatest ever coach only 2 years after he had them at #3 in the nation (he bought time by beating us four years in a row, 1986-89, and taking the Iron Bowl to JHS), fired another coach six games after he won their first-ever SEC West title, and fired yet another only two seasons removed from a national championship.

He'll probably make it into next year even with a four-loss year, but calls for his head will arise immediately, especially if we're back on track. MSU? They'll keep Mullen there as long as they get a decent bowl game and beat Ole Miss every other year or so.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
And realize something else about MSU - do you realize that might actually be a BETTER TEAM this year and not even come close to their fun of last year? It's one thing to do that when you sneak up on everyone - it's another thing altogether to do it when folks are gunning for you. (This is what makes our three in four so phenomenally wonderful).

In 2010, Auburn snuck up on everybody. The next year one can argue they were basically "regressing to the mean" of what Auburn football is. In 2012, they sunk so low that nobody took them seriously - and the result was a BCSNCG in 2013. Last year, folks took them seriously again and they went right back to being Auburn. Not only did they go right back to their normal 8-5, but they should have lost the Ole Miss game (without the most freak injury at the most consequential time perhaps in history). Plus, K-State would have beaten them had they had a kicking game and South Carolina would probably have won had it been in Williams-Brice.

My point being that teams are what they are and you can actually be BETTER than the previous year and yet have a worse record because you cannot sneak up on people. MSU was unbeaten going into the 2012 Alabama game - something none of them expected and several even told me they'd find out how good they were against us. It turned out......not so great. Then they regressed to slightly above the normal in 2013 but got hot at the end. Then - in 2014 - they had a talented team, got a few breaks, and played slightly above their abilities and with enthusiasm.

Go back and look at how much more pressure they were under when they nearly lost to UK (who was not very good at all) and then did lose to us compared to when they were beating LSU and Auburn. Since Dak is back, I expect MSU to be a pretty good team this year, but in the SEC West only four plays often separates the division champion from the leader of the bottom half.

I fully expect Auburn to be a 9-4 or 8-5 team this year and the calls for Malzahn's scalp will begin. They don't have a week off after October 10 and their schedule coming down the stretch is AT Arkansas, hosting Ole Miss, AT aTm, and hosting UGA. This is after they've already opened against Louisville and then played AT LSU and hosted MSU in September.

Anything less than 10-2 and the natives get restless. You watch, especially if they lose early. This is a team that fired (er, he resigned but only to avoid being fired) their greatest ever coach only 2 years after he had them at #3 in the nation (he bought time by beating us four years in a row, 1986-89, and taking the Iron Bowl to JHS), fired another coach six games after he won their first-ever SEC West title, and fired yet another only two seasons removed from a national championship.

He'll probably make it into next year even with a four-loss year, but calls for his head will arise immediately, especially if we're back on track. MSU? They'll keep Mullen there as long as they get a decent bowl game and beat Ole Miss every other year or so.
MSU had 15 senior starters last year and not sure they will be a better team this year. I look for them to take a step backwards this year team and record wise.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.