Question: Amtrak crash, Human error?, Infrastructure failure?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
8 dead, hundreds injured as the engine and all 7 cars come off tracks while speeding through curve north of Phila. Black box shows that train was going 106 MPH entering the turn that has a speed limit of 50. The next day congressional committee votes to cut Amtrak funding. PTC (positive train control) that congress has already mandated would have prevented this crash but does the money exist to fund it.
Are we letting our infrastructure slip quickly into 3rd world conditions? Will more money help? Where will additional funding come from?

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
This looks 100% human error (or intentional). Probably error as I heard this morning the engineer applied the emergency brakes at the last second. Also heard that tracks were inspected just a few hours before the wreck.

As for funding, I don't think lack of funds is the issue. Didn't Congress allocate almost $1 trillion a few years ago to go to infrastructure? What happened to that money?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
8 dead, hundreds injured as the engine and all 7 cars come off tracks while speeding through curve north of Phila. Black box shows that train was going 106 MPH entering the turn that has a speed limit of 50. The next day congressional committee votes to cut Amtrak funding. PTC (positive train control) that congress has already mandated would have prevented this crash but does the money exist to fund it.
Are we letting our infrastructure slip quickly into 3rd world conditions? Will more money help? Where will additional funding come from?
Typical liberal talking points.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The attorney for the engineer said his client doesn't remember anything leading up to the actual crash.

It's early yet - I'm going to wait for the facts from the investigation before speculating.

I know.....it's an odd approach but for some reason I'm feeling frisky! ;)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Well, that was informative.:rolleyes:
I said that because it's exactly what your hero in the WH jumped at. Without waiting for the facts to come in, he (as usual) jumped at the chance to bring up something, anything, to lead to more or higher taxation on the public. And true to form, you couldn't help but start a thread based on the same uneducated assumption.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Wow. If that turns out to be it, then somebody's got some 'splainin' to do.
According to black box, engineer applied brakes and slowed to 102 before derailing it. Dont know whether that would fit in with that scenario or not. Engineer is claiming amnesia at this point.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I said that because it's exactly what your hero in the WH jumped at. Without waiting for the facts to come in, he (as usual) jumped at the chance to bring up something, anything, to lead to more or higher taxation on the public. And true to form, you couldn't help but start a thread based on the same uneducated assumption.
So you are all fine and dandy with the state of the infrastructure all over. :rolleyes:
FWIW, I believe my original post was presented without any con/lib bias. Just a few questions with some factual statements mixed it. You seem to want to make it a partisan issue rather than addressing any issues.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
According to black box, engineer applied brakes and slowed to 102 before derailing it. Dont know whether that would fit in with that scenario or not. Engineer is claiming amnesia at this point.
And the posted speed limit for that area is 50. I'm going out on a limb here and say the speed of the train going into the curve probably had a lot more to do with the wreck than the amount of money thrown at the "infrastructure".

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
No offense to anyone but does every thread have to turn into a political argument. It was a flipping train wreck probably caused by human error since the speed was almost double what it should be. What else, who knows at this point. There is nothing else to this. You wonder why Washington does what they do on both sides of the aisle, all you have to do is look within.

I miss the old Non-sports board with Riz, RV, Doc and the rest. Yea I know, I don't have to read it. I usually skip over certain posters because I know what's coming but can we give it a rest please.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
And the posted speed limit for that area is 50. I'm going out on a limb here and say the speed of the train going into the curve probably had a lot more to do with the wreck than the amount of money thrown at the "infrastructure".
You do realize that one of the infrastructure improvements under discussion is a track monitoring system called positive track control--already implemented in some areas--a speed control system that would have prevented the train from going so fast?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
You do realize that one of the infrastructure improvements under discussion is a track monitoring system called positive track control--already implemented in some areas--a speed control system that would have prevented the train from going so fast?
Why not? It's not like it costs $Billions to install.. Far be it for the conductor on a train to be responsible for the train he's driving.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
As another poster noted earlier, we did approve nearly $1 trillion dollars in shovel-ready infrastructure projects back in 2009. This project was apparently not a high priority for the democrat government at the time.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No offense to anyone but does every thread have to turn into a political argument. It was a flipping train wreck probably caused by human error since the speed was almost double what it should be. What else, who knows at this point. There is nothing else to this. You wonder why Washington does what they do on both sides of the aisle, all you have to do is look within.

I miss the old Non-sports board with Riz, RV, Doc and the rest. Yea I know, I don't have to read it. I usually skip over certain posters because I know what's coming but can we give it a rest please.
the short answer to your first question is yes.

at least tomorrow is friday, but not fetcher friday ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No offense to anyone but does every thread have to turn into a political argument.
Once you posit no effective limits on Federal power (other than the limits the Federal government itself places on its power, which is effectively no limits at all), then yes, every single issue will become eventually political.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
As another poster noted earlier, we did approve nearly $1 trillion dollars in shovel-ready infrastructure projects back in 2009. This project was apparently not a high priority for the democrat government at the time.
I'm not sure about the 1T figure (most of whatever it was didn't go to Amtrak) but the PTC system is on Amtrak's most wanted list so it will be interesting when we find out why it hasn't been implemented more.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm on a collector car forum and it has many sub-forums including an Off Topic. Things got so nasty that they split the Off Topic into two separate sub-forums....Off Topic and Politics and Religion Off Topic.

Most of us never venture into what we refer to as PARF (Politics and Religion Forum) because the actual intelligent discussion portion is 10% and the other 90% is personal attacks. And yes it is moderated but still pretty deplorable how carried away some folks get.

Getting back to the Amtrack accident.....I didn't realize there was only one person controlling the train. That's crazy for something going this fast with so many passengers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.