Link: Very interesting Foxsports take on the Longhorn Network...

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I really don't know what lead to ESPN's decision to launch a network for one school & it being Texas at that, it's not like they had a long history of success.

i don't like ESPN but they have done more for college football than any other network.

really what has Fox done?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Based on the relative lack of interest in the channel, maybe UAB could contact them to see if they have programming space available. It would seem like the perfect fit for them to broadcast their games that no one cares about despite what they claim on a channel no one watches.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
This may be a well written article, but I'm going to avoid clicking on his site. He is certainly no friend of Alabama. Clay Travis falls into the category of "flame thrower journalism" and really likes to stir things up when he can. I also don't like Fox Sports so I'll pass.
You sound like my cousin who lives in Germantown. Are you my cousin that lives in Germantown?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Learned long ago that sometimes the worst people can be the best source(s) of information. Has been difficult to digest at times but I have found it to be oh so true.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Well, with just about all games on TV now, why would anyone want the lhn? Why would anyone want a Bama channel? So they can watch us play Chattonooga? Seriously, all conference games are on the tube, aren't they?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I live in Texas and I have the LHN, but I've never watched it. It's just with the U-Verse package that I have. I wish
they'd let me save a few cents and drop that from my package. I have NO interest in anything dealing
with the Longhorns. I used to sorta like them when Darrell Royal and Coach Bryant had a good relationship.

I honestly think you should be able to INDIVIDUALIZE TV packages with what you actually want and not all the
other GARBAGE like LHN!

I still believe Joe Namath scored to beat them in the mid-1960's! Tommy Nobis did not stop him short
of the goal line. We were robbed there just like the Goddard catch in State Penn University.

But with the son going to A & M, I sorta pull for A & M a little. When Bama plays A & M, I want to destroy them.
That 59 points sure made me feel good. However, I wanted more than 59. And, I did love that 77 - 0 destruction
of the Fran Man Aggies by Oklahoma. I was hoping for 100 in that game.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Cable channels would fight an ala carte system tooth and nail. It ill never happen. As it stands right now, everybody that gets cable subscribes to ESPN, even if they hate sports. So your local cable company can tell advertisers that a commercial on ESPN reaches X many homes, even if over half of them never watch that channel. If ESPN only reaches Y number homes, they would not be able to charge as much.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I held my nose and linked it - because he nailed it...
Yeah, I knew when you of all people had put it here, it had more to do with him channeling his inner broken clock (right twice a day) than with any endorsement.

He IS right, though, on this one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, with just about all games on TV now, why would anyone want the lhn? Why would anyone want a Bama channel? So they can watch us play Chattonooga? Seriously, all conference games are on the tube, aren't they?
That's another point. This would have made sense around 1995 or so. It's backward thinking now.

Besides - wait a day or two and you can see the entire Bama Blowout of Team X on You Tube.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am in Okla. They are finally admitting that the greed of Texas & Okla. U. destroyed the SW Conference (lost Ark.) & the Big 12 ( lost Neb., Colo., Mo. & aTm). They both demanded & recieved larger cuts of conference revenue than the other schools, content with the idea that they were more important.
You'd think other schools would learn.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I guess it could have started costing them money from people not willing to pay for it as part of a package. I still think that the first cable or satellite company which catches on and offers a real a la carte deal will mop up...
Sling TV is close. I think Apple TV is supposed to roll out something similar this fall.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Yes sir, I would, we don't get anything down here except SEC network on Alabama, & that is slanted. I just can't stomach Finebaum.

Living in Boaz, you get Crimson Classics, practice, recruiting, general news updates.

So you all in Alabama that share information when you post it here, really help us all in other states a lot. Usually when ESPN classics play a Bama game it's a loss, they love to air them.

So, very respectfully, I want all I can get.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
A couple of years ago, a handle by the name of Kentucky Mustangs on the TexAgs forums posted a series of long posts (almost essays, really) during the LHN formation, the BigXII fracture, and all of the conference realignment. I'd give anything to be able to find those posts again as he hit pretty much every nail directly on the head. If any admins here know any admins there, someone should write a book chronicling the connections between UT, the SEC, ESPN, OU, the BigXII, the Texas State Legislature, and the formation of the LHN.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
This really was a disastrously stupid decision. I'm as big an Alabama fan as there is and I love every ounce of news and coverage I can get. but a one team network makes about as much since as a one team conference. The SEC network gives me coverage of the teams we will be playing which is something I don't really get from the local news. If LSU or Auburn's going to have a good team this year I'd kind of like to know that. You know, so I can start preparing myself mentally. Just in case the game is close. There's all this floor pacing to do and the bottle of Tylenol that will be needed, etc...

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
This really was a disastrously stupid decision. I'm as big an Alabama fan as there is and I love every ounce of news and coverage I can get. but a one team network makes about as much since as a one team conference. The SEC network gives me coverage of the teams we will be playing which is something I don't really get from the local news. If LSU or Auburn's going to have a good team this year I'd kind of like to know that. You know, so I can start preparing myself mentally. Just in case the game is close. There's all this floor pacing to do and the bottle of Tylenol that will be needed, etc...
The only thing about the SEC Network is that they put a very positive spin on every team....they seem to say that each team will be good (Vandy excluded of course). Then I remember...this IS the SEC...every team will be good (no pancakes here).:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.