Isn't it great having a visible bball coach?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
I see Avery Johnson every where these days and it's awesome. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I do not remember seeing Grant at A day games or throwing out the first pitch or being a guest on WJOX. It's really nice to have a coach that seems to care out there talking up our program and getting ppl interested. Regardless of how well they do his first year, I'm already more excited about what the future holds for our Bball team. Just a refreshing site, seeing our coach out and about and proudly talking up the Tide.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Honestly, I don't really care how visible our coach is. I just want CAJ to be successful and produce results on the court. It is nice to see him promote the program but I really want to see an improved product on the court..

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I honestly couldn't care less. I'm a basketball so I'll show up and support regardless of the coach or how many pitches he throws out. My issue with Grant came down to wins and losses and not getting over the hump. Hopefully, CAJ won't have the same issue.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So far he talks a good game. I just hope he can back it up in the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I think it's great that he is so visible. We need to generate as much (positive) publicity and excitement as possible to get the fans enthused about the program and I think CAJ is doing a great job of this so far. We've needed that for years, even before CAG. Yes, he needs to win games but the season doesn't start for 4-5 more months so now is the time to get out among the fans and recruit, recruit, recruit.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
We can't judge him on wins and losses yet, so all we've got right now are behaviors that contribute to winning. Realizing there is a PR element to coaching is a really good start. Hopefully we will begin to see fruits of this PR soon by nabbing a highly touted recruit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I agree it comes down to wins and losses; however it does make me question how much CAG really cared about our program and how much effort he put into it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Alabama desperately needs their program to be promoted. It's been so poorly promoted that even Alabama fans didn't realize the merits of the program. Just seeing some discussions here seemed to prove that people underestimated attendance, the revenue generated by the program, or even the historical success of the program.

This to me clearly demonstrates that it isn't just about wins, it's about selling the program properly. In inability to do that is a liability and the ability to do that is clearly an asset.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I agree it is good for him to be out there being seen. It gets people excited about basketball and more importantly, sells tickets.

If he got hired and then vanished until the season started, we wouldn't be any better off than when we had Grant. Let's be honest, a lot of people don't care about basketball until football is over or at least until SEC play starts. No, this won't win any games, but if he gets the program in the newspaper in the middle of May, he is making some progress.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
Alabama desperately needs their program to be promoted. It's been so poorly promoted that even Alabama fans didn't realize the merits of the program. Just seeing some discussions here seemed to prove that people underestimated attendance, the revenue generated by the program, or even the historical success of the program.

This to me clearly demonstrates that it isn't just about wins, it's about selling the program properly. In inability to do that is a liability and the ability to do that is clearly an asset.
Exactly. He's creating an identity around town and constantly promoting the program. I love the hire. Now, i realize it may not translate to wins but so far so good.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Lotta Debbie Downers in this thread for no apparent reason.

He's done everything we could have hoped for so far AND MORE. Get excited guys, jeez. He's only been on the job a few months. You can't judge him on next season yet and some of you are already trying to.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Last weekend, new assistant Bob Simon tweeted:

Attending Alabama Ladies Tennis today with head coach Avery Johnson. NCAA Regional. Good Luck. Roll Tide Roll.

I commented to my brother we never heard of Grant attending events like this. CAJ is doing exactly what we wanted of Grant. We should all be thankful for it. It also gets the fans talking during April and May about basketball.

Heck, the basketball board is just as active as the football board. Been awhile since that was the case and the talk wasn't negative (players transferring).

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Lotta Debbie Downers in this thread for no apparent reason.

He's done everything we could have hoped for so far AND MORE. Get excited guys, jeez. He's only been on the job a few months. You can't judge him on next season yet and some of you are already trying to.
Exactly! I mean, lay off the pee-pee flavored corn flakes or something. We don't have court results to talk about yet, but even with the sour smirk on your faces, you have to admit that he is running laps around Grant's off-the-court routine. The guy asked "Isn't it great having a visible bball coach?". Visible. That was the question.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
Yeah, that's all I was saying. He's got me excited about this coming season and I haven't been able to say that in a while! I guess I could look but where is Grant now? Did he stay with Donovan and head to the NBA?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah, that's all I was saying. He's got me excited about this coming season and I haven't been able to say that in a while! I guess I could look but where is Grant now? Did he stay with Donovan and head to the NBA?
Yeah, he packed up his things and moved to OKC with daddy.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The Alabama basketball coach has to promote the program in order to be successful. It has always been that way. Wimp was successful because he promoted the program and now CAJ will be as well. He has brought new life to a program that dearly needed it. It may take a few years, but he'll get it done. Grant left the cupboard pretty empty.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
i LOVE it!! no idea what will show up on the floor at this point, but am STOKED about this upcoming year. been a LONG time since i've been able to say that. i think it has to do with the fact that there is news on the bball team to keep up the interest. normally, we don't hear anything until just before the next season starts. now, CAJ is involving the media and keeping UA in front of the fans and PROSPECTS. more coverage = more exposure = possibly more interest from upcoming athletes. i think it has been going very well so far.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
This, my friends is one of the shots in the arm this program needed. He needs some time to make an impact on recruits.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
At the end of Mike & Mike this morning, it was announced CAJ will be on the show tomorrow. Just a heads up for those of you that would like to listen or watch.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.