Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Current Roster:
G: Retin Obasahan (Sr), Justin Coleman (So), Dazon Ingram (Fr), Brandon Austin (Fr)
F: Shannon Hale (Jr), Michael Kessens (Jr), Riley Norris (So), Donta Hall (Fr)
C: Jimmie Taylor (Jr)

Transfers and Walk-ons that will not be eligible next season:
G: Lawson Schaffer (Fr)*, Avery Johnson Jr (Sophomore)
F: Nick King (Jr)

Possible signee(s) and transfer(s):
G: Kobie Eubanks (Fr) **
F: James White (Sr) **
C: Paschal Chukwu (So) ***

*Depending on who we sign it is possible that Schaffer could be on scholarship this upcoming season and/or possibly play.
**Would be eligible immediately.
*** I'll leave his name here but we are not on Chuwu's list.

Looking at our roster and who we have left on our board IMHO we need Eubanks and White very badly. To be honest this lineup is full of question marks but does have some potential. I've blurred the positions as much as possible because most of our guards and forwards will all need to be very versatile. Retin needs to develop consistency. If he can do that he has borderline NBA ability. Coleman needs to make a big leap. I would think that having CAJ as a head coach and Antoine Pettway as an assistant, Coleman should have plenty of opportunity to flourish. Ingram needs to come in ready to play. Austin is one of those guys that could develop into a very good player but I expect him to redshirt, especially if we sign Eubanks. Hale and Kessens both need to be more consistent and could be very good. I expect Norris to build on his freshman season and be on the team leaders next year. Hall needs to come in ready to play. Taylor needs to continue to develop. I hope CAJ hires an assistant that is really good at working with big guys because Taylor really needs all the coaching he can get.

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Current Roster:
G: Retin Obasahan (Sr), Justin Coleman (So), Dazon Ingram (Fr), Brandon Austin (Fr)
F: Shannon Hale (Jr), Michael Kessens (Jr), Riley Norris (So), Donta Hall (Fr)
C: Jimmie Taylor (Jr)

Transfers and Walk-ons that will not be eligible next season:
G: Lawson Schaffer (Fr)*, Avery Johnson Jr (Sophomore)
F: Nick King (Jr)

Possible signee(s) and transfer(s):
G: Kobie Eubanks (Fr) **
F: James White (Sr) **
C: Paschal Chukwu (So)

*Depending on who we sign it is possible that Schaffer could be on scholarship this upcoming season.
**Would be eligible immediately.

Looking at our roster and who we have left on our board IMHO we need Eubanks and White very badly. To be honest this lineup is full of question marks but does have some potential. I've blurred the positions as much as possible because most of our guards and forwards will all need to be very versatile. Retin needs to develop consistency. If he can do that he has borderline NBA ability. Coleman needs to make a big leap. I would think that having CAJ as a head coach and Antoine Pettway as an assistant, Coleman should have plenty of opportunity to flourish. Ingram needs to come in ready to play. Austin is one of those guys that could develop into a very good player but I expect him to redshirt, especially if we sign Eubanks. Hale and Kessens both need to be more consistent and could be very good. I expect Norris to build on his freshman season and be on the team leaders next year. Hall needs to come in ready to play. Taylor needs to continue to develop. I hope CAJ hires an assistant that is really good at working with big guys because Taylor really needs all the coaching he can get.
Thanks! I think that Schaffer, with walking on, could play this coming year, and not count toward our scholarship number. I thought the plan was to walk on all along. He could potentially earn a schollie down the road, but I think he could play this year if needed.

Bringing in James White would make sense, just from a warm body standpoint. Play one season, and we'll still be able to recruit to that number in 2016/17.

Chukwu is intriguing, having been recruited to Providence by Simon. 7 foot-two, under 3 pts and 3 reb per game though, but there's potential. That'd be another guy that would have to sit a year.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
At least we have enough to run scrimmage without Coach bringing the ball up court for both teams.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
At least we have enough to run scrimmage without Coach bringing the ball up court for both teams.
just thought of something. how feasible would it be if CAJ reached out to old team mates and held a "guest scrimmage" open to the public (ie, recruits)? would raise tremendous awareness of the program and i know if i was an upcoming player, there is NO WAY i would miss it. can you imagine the opportunity to meet the admiral, et al? would have to turn people away at the door! curious if it would be some type of violation, though. completely different, but the idea makes me think of the stuff with MI football doing satellite coaching camps (and the uproar causing changes to where they can't promote their attendance any more). just think it would be a great way to get some publicity and bring in some stars.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Thanks! I think that Schaffer, with walking on, could play this coming year, and not count toward our scholarship number. I thought the plan was to walk on all along. He could potentially earn a schollie down the road, but I think he could play this year if needed.

Bringing in James White would make sense, just from a warm body standpoint. Play one season, and we'll still be able to recruit to that number in 2016/17.

Chukwu is intriguing, having been recruited to Providence by Simon. 7 foot-two, under 3 pts and 3 reb per game though, but there's potential. That'd be another guy that would have to sit a year.
I'm not sure how it works in basketball but I believe in football a recruited walk-on that participates in his first 2 years counts toward the 85. Coaches do have the option of awarding 1 year scholarships (technically all scholly's are for 1 year) to walk-ons when they are available. CNS has done that with several players. So if we do not sign 2 more (I expect we will, should hear today?) then no reason why Schaffer can't get a 1 year scholly.

I'm torn on Chukwu because of tying up a scholly for another player that isn't eligible. We already have King and perhaps AJ jr and then perhaps a redshirt for Austin. I'd prefer a transfer that could come in and play immediately even if it is strictly for depth. If Chukwu wants to come to UA and not pay his own way then preferably he would go JUCO for a year and then sign next year to be immediately eligible.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I'm not sure how it works in basketball but I believe in football a recruited walk-on that participates in his first 2 years counts toward the 85. Coaches do have the option of awarding 1 year scholarships (technically all scholly's are for 1 year) to walk-ons when they are available. CNS has done that with several players. So if we do not sign 2 more (I expect we will, should hear today?) then no reason why Schaffer can't get a 1 year scholly.
I thought Pettway played his freshman year as a walk-on.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I thought Pettway played his freshman year as a walk-on.
Yes I believe he did. A walk-on can play but do they count against the overall scholly limits as they do in football? I would assume so or otherwise some schools would load up on "walk-on's" like Nebraska was doing in football in the 90's.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Nothing on rolltide.com as regards basketball signees today. Wonder if that means we missed on the ones for which we were hoping . . . Was really hoping for White.
Today is the last day to sign a LOI. Players can still sign a financial aid agreement.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Shows what I don't know about basketball recruiting. Thought today is a sort of "drop dead" day. That if you didn't have a signed LOI by end of day, that person could not be a schol player for 2015/6 season.
Actually, the rule is the same for football. They don't have to sign by NSD. They can sign all the way up to time to report in the fall...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.