play stupid games ... dean potter and friend dead after base jumping accident

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've seen countless people say "at least he died doing what he loved..."

And every time I've been tempted to say 'he loved screaming 'ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap' and regretting his decision?'
OT, but you reminded me of the old joke: "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car." :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was a "live on the edge" guy. For example, kayaking Section V of the Chatooga at the highest level I'd seen it, as soon as I was told that Sock-em-Dog had never been run at that level, I had to run it. My wife had already left to hike back up to the truck, so she didn't see the last second maneuver I had to make to stay alive. Then, I got caught in what's normally a fun class III rapid right below, and, with that much water coming through was a couple of classes higher. I had to make numerous rolls (in the teens, although onlookers' counts differed, before I could dig my way out backwards. (I wasn't counting; I was too busy avoiding drowning.) I did a serious reassessment after that and gave up the extremes. Well, I probably did snow-ski too fast, but I'm not counting that. I missed the adrenalin rush terribly for a long time. I just had to stop and start thinking of the ones I would have left behind, too soon...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I was a "live on the edge" guy. For example, kayaking Section V of the Chatooga at the highest level I'd seen it, as soon as I was told that Sock-em-Dog had never been run at that level, I had to run it. My wife had already left to hike back up to the truck, so she didn't see the last second maneuver I had to make to stay alive. Then, I got caught in what's normally a fun class III rapid right below, and, with that much water coming through was a couple of classes higher. I had to make numerous rolls (in the teens, although onlookers' counts differed, before I could dig my way out backwards). (I wasn't counting; I was too busy avoiding drowning.) I did a serious reassessment after that and gave up the extremes. Well, I probably did snow-ski too fast, but I'm not counting that. I missed the adrenalin rush terribly for a long time. I just had to stop and start thinking of the ones I would have left behind, too soon...
And thats the key.

Last edited by a moderator:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
that section of the new river is beautiful. i've been up there a few times, but never when they are doing the jumping
I've kayaked the section above the bridge several times, but never when they were doing the windsuit thing. I have been through there when they were bungee jumping from the bridge and had to wait to make sure we'd passed through. I believe the takeout if right below the bridge. "New River" was always bemusing, since it's the oldest river in the eastern US...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.