play stupid games ... dean potter and friend dead after base jumping accident

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i hated to hear about this yesterday, he was a hell of an athlete (i think a few years back i posted video of him setting the solo free climbing record on el cap).

but if you keep searching for the edge, you are going to eventually find it, and it likely wont be pretty

Dean Potter, one of the generation’s top rock climbers and charismatic personalities, was one of two men killed in a BASE-jumping accident at Yosemite National Park in California on Saturday.

Potter, 43, and the other man, Graham Hunt, 29, leapt near dusk off Taft Point, a promontory about 3,000 feet above the floor of Yosemite Valley, not far from the iconic granite masses of El Capitan and Half Dome. Flying in wingsuits, they tried to clear a notch in the granite cliffs but instead smashed into the rocks in quick succession.

Neither of the men pulled a parachute.
the whole flying suit base jumping thing has resulted in some very violent deaths in the past few years. i read about one a couple of years back where someone tried to thread a suspension bridge and hit the cables going about 200 mph and he disintegrated

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've seen countless people say "at least he died doing what he loved..."

And every time I've been tempted to say 'he loved screaming 'ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap' and regretting his decision?'

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Watched the documentary on Yosemite a few weeks ago on Discovery. Those guys def live on the edge.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Watched the documentary on Yosemite a few weeks ago on Discovery. Those guys def live on the edge.
yeah. this guy was on the edge of the edge. he had sponsorships pulled from a few companies because they just thought he went too far.

from everything i have heard about him, he was a really good guy

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
yeah. this guy was on the edge of the edge. he had sponsorships pulled from a few companies because they just thought he went too far.
Yeah esp since base jumping is illegal in the park and you get your gear confiscated if caught. It's not like those guys are making $100k a yr. If you get $20k worth of gear confiscated, that's got to be hard for them to replace.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah esp since base jumping is illegal in the park and you get your gear confiscated if caught. It's not like those guys are making $100k a yr. If you get $20k worth of gear confiscated, that's got to be hard for them to replace.
yeah, that gear is not cheap. its why i stick to running these days, shoes are relatively cheap

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
after watching some of the videos of those flying suit guys trying to thread caves, cliffs, bridges, etc, i'm surprised the number isn't higher.
I would love to visit New River, WV in October when they do the basejumping. Rafting and watching would be fun. I'll pass on partaking of any of that activity myself though.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I would love to visit New River, WV in October when they do the basejumping. Rafting and watching would be fun. I'll pass on partaking of any of that activity myself though.
that section of the new river is beautiful. i've been up there a few times, but never when they are doing the jumping

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.