Couple's kayak trip on Hudson included missteps, expert says

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's really hard to imagine going out onto the Hudson with no PFD in a whitewater kayak with no flotation and no wet or dry suit in water that cold...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
It's really hard to imagine going out onto the Hudson with no PFD in a whitewater kayak with no flotation and no wet or dry suit in water that cold...
I've kayaked on Lake Tahoe IN JULY and the people we went out with had us wear wet suits.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Body Recovered in Hudson Is Identified as Missing Kayaker’s

Mr. Viafore’s fiancée, Angelika Graswald, was arrested on April 29 on a charge of second-degree murder.

At first, the police believed that the death of Mr. Viafore, 46, was an accidental drowning. But after arresting Ms. Graswald, 35, they said she had implicated herself in his death by making inconsistent statements. Later, at a bail hearing, the prosecution said Ms. Graswald told the police she had tampered with his kayak and quoted her as saying that it “felt good knowing he was going to die.”

Oops didn't notice that Bazza had posted this earlier

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've kayaked on Lake Tahoe IN JULY and the people we went out with had us wear wet suits.
I can one-up you. I kayaked the Grand Canyon in late August, in 115F air temps. When I ran it, they were releasing off the bottom of Lake Powell, which is colder than the surface. I think the water was at 52F. By the last couple of days, it had warmed up enough that we could leave off the wet suits...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've never been on the Hudson, but I have been whitewater rafting in both the Ocoee and Nantahala Rivers.
Dang, that's some cold water!
Then you know exactly what he went through. The Hudson was at 46F that day and that just happens to be the consistent temperature of the Nanny water, which is stored high up on the mountain in a reservoir. If you go in, it literally knocks the wind out of you. The human body wasn't designed to withstand that kind of thermal shock. A wet suit offers some protection, but the only complete protection is a good dry suit...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.