Steve Shaw Tells JOX's The Roundtable Matt Moore and Penn Wagers Retired

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
And yet he (whoever he was) failed to make the exact same call on the exact same activity by a Miami player later in the game when Miami finally scored a touchdown during the same game. Was the guidance to call the penalty on spinning the ball only during the first half?

I've heard baseball players say they do not mind a tight strike zone or a loose one, as long as it is called consistently. Without consistency, an official is worse than useless.
At the time, the general consensus on the interwebs (back in the Jurassic rec.sports.football.college period) was that the main reason Lassic got flagged was because it was not a scoring play (Lassic thought he had scored).

We didn't spend too much time discussing the no-call on the Miami TD because we were too busy calling out all the people who had predicted a Miami blowout. :biggrin2:

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
It weird that Wagers' crews have made so many bad / missed calls over the years, considering the crews rotate. That's why I'm happy to see him go - at this point, I have to believe there's something about his leadership that brings out the worst in his fellow officials.
It is. And Parks is still calling games (several Alabama games since then, actually) with various crews. That LSU game was definitely his career lowlight. And being fair to Wagers, Wagers was a victim of guilt by association with that one.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.