Steve Shaw Tells JOX's The Roundtable Matt Moore and Penn Wagers Retired

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I guess Penn will move to Del Boca Vista in Ft. Lauderdale and get busy missing calls in the Super Seniors Shuffleboard League....

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I know a lot of people don't care for those particular referees, but I would just remind folks it can always be worse..

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Incompetence? I still remember Wagers throwing the flag on Lassic in the 1993 Sugar Bowl for excessive celebration.
I'm no fan of the guy, but, to be fair, spinning the ball was a particular point of emphasis in the excessive celebration rule training at that time. It's a ticky-tack call, but he pretty much had to make it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Incompetence? I still remember Wagers throwing the flag on Lassic in the 1993 Sugar Bowl for excessive celebration.
You remember Wagers throwing a flag and calling a penalty in a game he wasn't even officiating? Incredible.

Being less smarmy, I think you mean Rogers Redding. Furthermore, you would have to know this couldn't possibly be true. Not only was Wagers not an official in the FBS until 1999 (six years after that game), he would not have called it anyway since the game featured an SEC vs Big East matchup.

For the record, the crew came from the Southwest Conference. You can see the list of officials at 46:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTFSU1zftPM

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I didn't mind Wagers or Moore. The one I cannot stand is Mark Curles! A former co-worker has previously served on a crew with Curles and told me Curles told him on multiple occassions he loved it when BAMA lost. He said Ritter is another who has it out for BAMA.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I didn't mind Wagers or Moore. The one I cannot stand is Mark Curles! A former co-worker has previously served on a crew with Curles and told me Curles told him on multiple occassions he loved it when BAMA lost. He said Ritter is another who has it out for BAMA.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. I remember Ritter from the 2013 TAMU game. At one point, there seemed to be a flag after every play. I told my parents that he was actually enjoying making those calls.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.