UAB Football First Step in Hidden Agenda to Crush Undergrad Programs at UAB

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

By John A. Knox, Ph.D, associate professor of geography at the University of Georgia and a 1988 summa cum laude graduate of UAB in mathematics

At 10:20 am on Dec. 1, 2014, I received a message about what was really going on at UAB. It said, in part:"The hidden agenda is to focus UAB as medical school only, UAH as math and science only ... (board of trustees) presidents have pushed this agenda ... Deep pockets of trustees allow them to buy whatever they want."

Who was the author of this message? No less than a former member of the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees responding to my queries concerning Ray Watts and the imminent termination of football (and bowling, and rifle, as it turned out) at UAB. This source is the ultimate insider, who refuses to go public out of deep fear of retaliation.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
This source is the ultimate insider, who refuses to go public out of deep fear of retaliation.
I can't count on both hands the number of times a person who claims this status ends up being some doofus who loves to start dumb rumors.
If the "source" is for real, I'm sure he also knows who was the barn's bag man.

Sorry, but until someone is willing to step up and be an actual witness, I'm not biting..

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Such hilarity coming from this crowd. I have another friend who is a professor that keeps going with this conspiracy stuff. Fact is, UAB has received much more funding for undergrad programs in recent years than UA has. There was an article recently with the breakdown and I thought that I had saved it. Going to try and find it again.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
From the UAB FAQ that I posted in the related thread on the football forum:

ARE UNDERGRADUATE ACADEMIC PROGRAMS BEING CUT?

No. The first, most important pillar of UAB’s multifaceted mission is education, and we have aggressive plans to enhance and increase undergraduate academic programming and opportunities. Within the last few years, we have actually added new bachelor’s degree programs, and we expect more to be added that build upon UAB’s longstanding, core strengths.

Our academic leaders will continue to develop and grow strong and positive undergraduate educational offerings, and our undergraduates will continue to have access to research and other opportunities many institutions offer only at the graduate level.

With yet another year of record enrollment, UAB continues to expand, now covering more than 90 city blocks. We recently opened a state‐of‐the‐art Student Health and Wellness Center, and 2015 will see the opening of the new Student Center (a $50 million investment) and a new 700 bed freshman residence hall (a $48 million investment). Our Campus Recreation Center was recently listed as one of the top 10 most impressive in the nation.
And if UAB were simply going to be a medical school, why wasn't the entire athletic department eliminated?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.