Any Game of Thrones TV Show watchers or Book readers out there?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I need people to discuss this series with! I watch the TV show and I am a book reader and am maybe half way through Book 5, which is the current season. Lots of differences but I am enjoying both--to the point that I can barely put this 1500 page book down!

Discuss.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I need people to discuss this series with! I watch the TV show and I am a book reader and am maybe half way through Book 5, which is the current season. Lots of differences but I am enjoying both--to the point that I can barely put this 1500 page book down!

Discuss.
i haven't read the books but ive seen most of the shows, so i am not really aware of where the story lines differ. i enjoy it for the most part, but i have watched most of the series while on airplanes, so i still don't have a great grasp on some of the plot lines.

i like tyrion and little finger (?) the best as far as characters go.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I've read all of the books published to date. Tyrion is definitely one of the best characters.

I've also watched the first couple of seasons of the HBO series. Good series in and of itself.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've read all of the books published to date. Tyrion is definitely one of the best characters.

I've also watched the first couple of seasons of the HBO series. Good series in and of itself.
i find the hbo shows to be enjoyable. i occasionally think they use gratuitous nudity as a crutch, but then i remind myself, that is how hbo made a name for themselves, and most of the women on the show are smoking hot. so i don't let it bother me too much. :)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
i find the hbo shows to be enjoyable. i occasionally think they use gratuitous nudity as a crutch, but then i remind myself, that is how hbo made a name for themselves, and most of the women on the show are smoking hot. so i don't let it bother me too much. :)
And of course, the books themselves are rather gratuitous with respect to sex, violence, torture, etc. The movies just reflect the nature of the books themselves in my opinion.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I watch and thoroughly enjoy - since it falls right in the middle of my "genre" wheelhouse - the show on HBO but haven't read any of the books; I'm waiting for the series to end before I start reading.

A lot of people don't seem to get that approach but to me it makes perfect sense. Most people it seems, including and especially my wife, prefer to read the books and then watch the shows/movies since "there's so much more in the books". However, it also seems that they're constantly complaining about things which were in the books but left out, what was changed from the books, how the characters - looks, voice, demeanor, et al. - in the shows/movies don't match what they had imagined while reading the books, etc.

When I watch such shows and/or movies first, I get to enjoy them without the negative effects of those comparisons. Then, if and when I read the book(s) later, I get to enjoy the books with all of the extra depth and extended story-lines therein while the characters I picture in my mind generally almost perfectly match the ones from the shows/movies. :)

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I tried because it was in my genre wheelhouse too, and a friend recommended it to me. I couldn't get past the overblown gratuitous nudity. I made it through two shows and just stopped.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I tried because it was in my genre wheelhouse too, and a friend recommended it to me. I couldn't get past the overblown gratuitous nudity. I made it through two shows and just stopped.
i remember the first one being really over the top in that regard. my wife and i watched it and i don't think i watched another one until season 2.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
The first book is really good. I stopped toward the end of book two and I've heard books 4 and 5 (which is the basis of the current season) was brutal reading (little story progression, even more new characters to track, etc). I know the show has trimmed the fat and deviated, but for the most part has edited the books well. I do agree that the nudity is excessive and unneeded, but it is HBO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I read the first two books, and I found the show followed it remarkablly well to that point. Im hearing that they have differed the last two seasons but wouldnt know where since the show went past the books when i first picked them up. I really enjoy the show, it reminds me of Rome with all the political backstabbing and drama. i rate it a 9/10 i just think sometimes they go too far with the nudity at some points, but it seems less and less since emilia Clarke said she wouldnt do anymore naked scenes. so i guess its limiting it as a whole

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
SPOILERS AHEAD. If you are caught up on the TV Show, no biggie.

Soooo, I actually was only half way done with Book 4, not 5, and finished it today. The reason 4 & 5 seem soooooo long is they are parallel stories. Book 5 isn't a continuation. Book 4 was mostly about what was going on in the South (Except for the Jon Snow/Castle Black story) and Book 5 is mostly about the North and Danyerys. GRRM wanted to make one book but decided it was way too much so he just wrote them parallel. I just finished chapter 1 of Book 5. So far, the TV Show has mostly been from Book 4.

GRRM has been very vocal about how this season mostly mimics the book but there are LOTS of differences. The Margarey/Loras story is very different but the Cersei part as it relates to those two is similar if not identical. Jamie doesn't go to Dorne to rescue Myrcella--Cersei sends someone else. Jamie goes North to take Riverrun. The Sansa Stark story is completely new on the TV series. She has a pretty boring existence in book 4 as Robin Arryn's caretaker. Ramsay Bolton married a girl named Jeyne who is pretending to be Arya Stark. She is treated as viciously as Sansa. Brienne's story is different as is Jorah and Tyrion.

Both are equally good and I am glad that I am reading and watching both. I'm trying to keep current in reading with the TV Show but it is getting difficult. These books are LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG. Book 5 is 1500 pages. :(

And, I could care less about gratuitous nudity. haha. There hasn't been as much of it this season now that the Sparrows are in full force in Kings Landing.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I can barely stand the weekly cliffhanger of the HBO series. I'm not a very patient person so waiting a full week to get another dose doesn't fit my personality. I'm going to start reading the books.

On another semi related topic, I've watched several different series, Lost, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad etc. The series has become the norm. I'm not a huge movie watcher. Recently however I've watched several movies. I'm finding it hard to fully appreciate a movie because of the effect all these series have had on me. Movies once the staple of entertainment now seem short and less detailed without any drawn out conclusions. I'm not used to watching a story unfold in a single sitting anymore. I'm afraid we're witnessing the slow death of the Cinema. On Demand and the Series is the future of entertainment.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I haven't read the books, tried to start but never got into it, and have seen maybe 5 minutes of the series. But just from everyone else watching and commenting on Twitter, Facebook, and the like, I knew enough about it to thoroughly enjoy the South Park episode about it.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Last night's episode was fantastic! I never knew I could be such a geek for this type of period drama/suspense/fantasty/si-fi show! I love GoT better than The Walking Dead. Yes, I said it!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I just finished watching Season 6. It was great to see Ramsay Snow/Bolton eaten by his own dogs in the HBO series. The actor did a great job, but I'm glad to see the character gone and in such a spectacularly karmic fashion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.