Mitch Gaspard

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Tanking is what happens when you have the worst facilities in the league ( that is now being corrected), no lottery scholarships for good out of state players and sadly one of the worst coaching staffs in the league.

Much has changed since the 90's and early 2000's- has not been a level playing field for a long time.
But we have proved we could hang with the lottery states for years now before Gaspard.

Me and you haven't agreed on much but we can agree that Gaspard HAS to go. If not, things are only going to get worse. Like you said and I agree with, nobody seems to "get better" under this group. We have the talent to hang and that was proved throughout the year, but having a losing SEC record tells me and most of us that Gaspard is not using the talent like he could and not developing the talent like he could. He can whine about not having facilities this year but it doesn't take a big spot to go long toss and do flat work for he pitchers. I can agree it could hurt hitting, but it is not that hard to make accommodations to do some drills and throw. I think he thinks he would get a pass for this year and of course he is using that to his advantage. But things are only going to get worse under this guy....

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
But things are only going to get worse under this guy....
Very true and he has proven for 6 years that he will not make any changes to correct areas that need to be. He only wants friends and ex players on his staff. Only plays the same players no matter how many times they strike out. Oh sorry, he let Blanchard bat one last time for Haynie.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
But we have proved we could hang with the lottery states for years now before Gaspard.

Me and you haven't agreed on much but we can agree that Gaspard HAS to go. If not, things are only going to get worse. Like you said and I agree with, nobody seems to "get better" under this group. We have the talent to hang and that was proved throughout the year, but having a losing SEC record tells me and most of us that Gaspard is not using the talent like he could and not developing the talent like he could. He can whine about not having facilities this year but it doesn't take a big spot to go long toss and do flat work for he pitchers. I can agree it could hurt hitting, but it is not that hard to make accommodations to do some drills and throw. I think he thinks he would get a pass for this year and of course he is using that to his advantage. But things are only going to get worse under this guy....
We actually agree on more things about this program than we disagree on. I enjoy reading your posts and opinions. You obviously have a real interest in what is best for Bama Baseball. I appreciate the conversations.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Same here man, I think the only thing we disagree on is the recruit comments, and yes we have had the same thoughts a good bit even when I haven't posted. I like this forum because we have less sidewalk fans than say football. I bet most on the football board couldn't name the stadium or even care about baseball.

Granted I don't spend the money anymore that I used to on baseball tickets and have never owned season tickets, but I have made about every home regional and super since 98 when I graduated and made sporadic home games in between and Hoover appearances as well.. Most of us here are the same or spend way more than me. I just don't see how Battle expects a full Joe come next year with Gaspard still there. Most of us will want to see it open the first game and I know I won't be back after that if Gaspard is the coach. I tried to give him, Andy and Dax a shot (mainly because Andy and G.W. Keller were my all two favorites) but I just cannot support this regime anymore.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I see no compelling argument for keeping anyone on this staff beyond today. Guys show up here from good high school programs and lose their swing, never to get it back. We run ourselves out of innings. Our defense is in the bottom half of the league. We continually give up baserunners when coming out of the bullpen and facing our first guy. We continually have starting pitchers go down with arm injuries.

Now, I realize how easy it is to criticize from the cheap seats. I have coached high school baseball in this state before. Coaching and winning isn't easy, but there are coaches who could and would do a better job and Mitch has had his chance.

If I were CBB I would look towards Texas and see if I could hire away one of the great coaches they've got out there (TCU, DB, Houston, Rice, Baylor, and I understand their coach was just dismissed). Cherry pick a few difference makers from out there to supplement the good in-state talent we have and work on player development and in-game strategy and I am willing to bet that we can rejoin the elite once again.

rtr

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
The tourney field is set and we did not make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did not and should have not. Although I am not sure how Clemson, Maryland and Oregon make the tourney with RPI's in the 57- 64 range. Bama was the previous at large with the highest RPI to make the tourney at 48. Still perplexed how Auburn has a RPI of 25 with their résumé.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This will sound odd, but maybe we should hope the barn gets to Omaha. That may help usher Gaspard out the door.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I see no compelling argument for keeping anyone on this staff beyond today. Guys show up here from good high school programs and lose their swing, never to get it back. We run ourselves out of innings. Our defense is in the bottom half of the league. We continually give up baserunners when coming out of the bullpen and facing our first guy. We continually have starting pitchers go down with arm injuries.

Now, I realize how easy it is to criticize from the cheap seats. I have coached high school baseball in this state before. Coaching and winning isn't easy, but there are coaches who could and would do a better job and Mitch has had his chance.

If I were CBB I would look towards Texas and see if I could hire away one of the great coaches they've got out there (TCU, DB, Houston, Rice, Baylor, and I understand their coach was just dismissed). Cherry pick a few difference makers from out there to supplement the good in-state talent we have and work on player development and in-game strategy and I am willing to bet that we can rejoin the elite once again.

rtr
I'm on board from either the TCU or Dallas Baptist coach.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This will sound odd, but maybe we should hope the barn gets to Omaha. That may help usher Gaspard out the door.

They already have their softball team in the wcws and they are already being sore winners about that. I don't mind them getting to a super regional but not to Omaha. It would just be something they could flaunt in our face to deflect the conversation about last years iron bowl. I want to have something significant to take place for our staff for the future but idk if I'm willing to pull for auburn in that way.
But you could be on to something, but I'm a little near sided in this at the moment. Rtr

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Never said I wanted them to win it all, just make it there. I do have my standards.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

I get where you are coming from but the barn will not make it out of the Tallahassee regional. They are worse then we are, I still can not figure out how they got in. There RPI rating is unbelievable.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
You'd think getting swept by us would disqualify them right off the bat.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
o well there is always next season. but if Gaspard is still here there will be little room for era with a new stadium
AD Battle needs to do something innovative and trade Gasper the Post-season Ghost straight up for another disproven "winner" who's already broken in a new stadium (and broken down the most storied team in baseball) - Joe the Chimp Girardi.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
o well there is always next season. but if Gaspard is still here there will be little room for era with a new stadium
AD Battle needs to do something innovative and trade Gasper the Post-season Ghost straight up for another disproven "winner" who's already broken in a new stadium (and broken down the most storied team in baseball) - Joe the Chimp Girardi.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.