Mitch Gaspard

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
AD Battle needs to do something innovative and trade Gasper the Post-season Ghost straight up for another disproven "winner" who's already broken in a new stadium (and broken down the most storied team in baseball) - Joe the Chimp Girardi.
Since he has not been removed yes I assume that means he is staying?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Guys....when you're in elimination rounds, sometimes you simply run out of pitching. It's a lot of innings you've played! I mean come on.
Vanderbilt had three times the pitching depth we had.
Hopefully, the newer facilities upgrades will help us in recruiting, but, my goodness, what tradition in baseball, do we have, other than the Magadan years, that would entice any great recruit to come to Bama??? Gaspard did pretty darn good this season in my opinion.
sip

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Guys....when you're in elimination rounds, sometimes you simply run out of pitching. It's a lot of innings you've played! I mean come on.
Hopefully, the newer facilities upgrades will help us in recruiting, but, my goodness, what tradition in baseball, do we have, other than the Magadan years, that would entice any great recruit to come to Bama??? Gaspard did pretty darn good this season in my opinion.
sip
Well we ONLY had 2 losing SEC seasons under Wells, Mitch has had ONE winning season in SEC play. Also more "since Wells":

10 of 12 years made a regional
6 SEC tournament titles
2 SEC regular season champs (3 SEC West Titles)
3 CWS appearances
9 years of 40+ wins
4 years of 50+ wins
And a runner up spot
Became the first team ever to have 4 players with 20+ HR's
Set a record with 13 HR's in ONE GAME
At least 4 Super Regional appearances

All that under Wells in the last 20 years and I'm sure I'm missing some things. So if those things won't bring in any recruits NOTHING will. And Gaspard being the lower than average coach that he is, a renovated Joe will NOT help him make a Super Regional.

And Sip, we got into the elimination rounds on our own and our pitching depth sucks due to some bad moves over the years. Look at how many arm injuries we've had under Gaspard. It's been unbelievable.

Any decent coach would have had this team in a regional this year, even with all the supposed "hardships" Gaspard claims that he had. As I said in another thread (might have been this one) that it is NOT HARD to make your own makeshift facilities since The Joe is being re-done. You can make a very nice batting cage in ONE DAY, and you don't need hardly any room to throw on any day.

Gaspard is full of excuses and not full of results. He's posted ONE YEAR of 40+ wins and has only ONE season over .500 in the SEC. We deserve better and nobody will make me think we don't have a decent program here because we sure as heck do.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well we ONLY had 2 losing SEC seasons under Wells, Mitch has had ONE winning season in SEC play. Also more "since Wells":

10 of 12 years made a regional
6 SEC tournament titles
2 SEC regular season champs (3 SEC West Titles)
3 CWS appearances
9 years of 40+ wins
4 years of 50+ wins
And a runner up spot
Became the first team ever to have 4 players with 20+ HR's
Set a record with 13 HR's in ONE GAME
At least 4 Super Regional appearances

All that under Wells in the last 20 years and I'm sure I'm missing some things. So if those things won't bring in any recruits NOTHING will. And Gaspard being the lower than average coach that he is, a renovated Joe will NOT help him make a Super Regional.

And Sip, we got into the elimination rounds on our own and our pitching depth sucks due to some bad moves over the years. Look at how many arm injuries we've had under Gaspard. It's been unbelievable.

Any decent coach would have had this team in a regional this year, even with all the supposed "hardships" Gaspard claims that he had. As I said in another thread (might have been this one) that it is NOT HARD to make your own makeshift facilities since The Joe is being re-done. You can make a very nice batting cage in ONE DAY, and you don't need hardly any room to throw on any day.

Gaspard is full of excuses and not full of results. He's posted ONE YEAR of 40+ wins and has only ONE season over .500 in the SEC. We deserve better and nobody will make me think we don't have a decent program here because we sure as heck do.
The Wells years were indeed very good ones.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
sip
What tradition in baseball do we have? How about this: Prior to this season, we were number 2 in all time SEC wins with 929 behind only Florida with 937. (When Gaspard took over, we were number 1 in all time SEC wins). We were number 2 in the SEC in overall all time wins with exactly 2,500, behind only Texas A&M (We were number 1 when Gaspard took over). We have 13 regular season SEC championships which ties us with Florida for second behind LSU who had 15 (We were in sole possession of second only 1 behind LSU when Gaspard took over). We were tied with Mississippi State for second on the list for SEC tournament championships with 7 behind LSU with 11 (We were 1 behind LSU and alone in second place ahead of MSU when Gaspard took over). Looks like a pretty good tradition to me. For the record, Mags only played for three seasons before going pro and during that three years we won one regular season and one tournament championship (in 1983), so our tradition is a lot deeper than the Magadan years.

I am also tired of this "no place to practice" crap. Has anyone driven by the Joe lately? The field is still there. All of the work is being done to the structure of the grandstand. In addition, the new indoor batting facility (that also has an area for pitchers to work) was opened prior to the start of practice this year and has been used all year. If, for whatever reason, the field was not usable for practice, there are at least 8 high school fields, one junior college field and one college field within about a 15 to 20 minute drive from campus. One of the high school fields is Northridge High School where Jim Wells is now the coach. I doubt seriously that he would not have allowed the Tide to practice there if asked.

No, Alasippi, Gaspard did not do "pretty darn good this season." This season was just a continuation of what he has done since he became head coach. I just wonder what excuse he will come up with next year when we muddle through yet another disappointing season.

Last edited:

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
What tradition in baseball do we have? How about this: Prior to this season, we were number 2 in all time SEC wins with 929 behind only Florida with 937. (When Gaspard took over, we were number 1 in all time SEC wins). We were number 2 in the SEC in overall all time wins with exactly 2,500, behind only Texas A&M (We were number 1 when Gaspard took over). We have 13 regular season SEC championships which ties us with Florida for second behind LSU who had 15 (We were in sole possession of second only 1 behind LSU when Gaspard took over). We were tied with Mississippi State for second on the list for SEC tournament championships with 7 behind LSU with 11 (We were 1 behind LSU and alone in second place ahead of MSU when Gaspard took over). Looks like a pretty good tradition to me. For the record, Mags only played for three seasons before going pro and during that three years we won one regular season and one tournament championship (in 1983), so our tradition is a lot deeper than the Magadan years.

I am also tired of this "no place to practice" crap. Has anyone driven by the Joe lately? The field is still there. All of the work is being done to the structure of the grandstand. In addition, the new indoor batting facility (that also has an area for pitchers to work) was opened prior to the start of practice this year and has been used all year. If, for whatever reason, the field was not usable for practice, there are at least 8 high school fields, one junior college field and one college field within about a 15 to 20 minute drive from campus. One of the high school fields is Northridge High School where Jim Wells is now the coach. I doubt seriously that he would not have allowed the Tide to practice there if asked.

No, Alasippi, Gaspard did not do "pretty darn good this season." This season was just a continuation of what he has done since he became head coach. I just wonder what excuse he will come up with next year when we muddle through yet another disappointing season.
As i said in another thread I don't understand why no change has been made. Florida is competitive in all sports because they do not tolerate average teams but want every sport to compete for championships. When a coach does not perform they make a change and get the best coach possible. They don't wait for years until they completely fall apart.

All it it takes for us to compete in baseball is a decision that we want to compete. We appartently made the decision that what we are doing now is acceptable. Just unbelievable. Are you telling me that Vandy can win championships and we can't?

I just oust don't understand. Maybe we should email the university president instead of Battle.

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
I am also tired of this "no place to practice" crap. Has anyone driven by the Joe lately? The field is still there. All of the work is being done to the structure of the grandstand. In addition, the new indoor batting facility (that also has an area for pitchers to work) was opened prior to the start of practice this year and has been used all year.
Yep, I believe if they had an indoor stadium they would still be making excuses. Gaspard has always been a talker/FOS coach. Play Hard Get Dirty. Thinks you can be winners by motivation and being a friend to the players. They will be begging for people to come to the Joe once the new wears off and they hit the SEC schedule.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Guys....when you're in elimination rounds, sometimes you simply run out of pitching. It's a lot of innings you've played!
You do realize we are talking about the baseball team; not the softball team, right?

Sure, the gals could have fared better with an extra arm, but what hurt them was the lack of timely hitting. However, I don't think you will find one person who who wasn't proud of their effort, this season.

Compare that to the baseball team. Went out with a whimper. All the pitching in the world couldn't save this past season. (You could make a case that even if we had it, "we" would have found a way to screw it up.) Our gals may have bowed out, but they fought to the end. If you think our guys did, you and I didn't watch the same team play.

BTW, what was the excuse for last year? Bowing out to Kennesaw State. Yes, the mighty powerhouse from the suburbs of Atlanta. That has only been around 40 years or so. Yes, that traditional powerhouse. Playing at The Joe didn't save them, did it?

Any more excuses you would like us to consider?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You do realize we are talking about the baseball team; not the softball team, right?

Sure, the gals could have fared better with an extra arm, but what hurt them was the lack of timely hitting. However, I don't think you will find one person who who wasn't proud of their effort, this season.

Compare that to the baseball team. Went out with a whimper. All the pitching in the world couldn't save this past season. (You could make a case that even if we had it, "we" would have found a way to screw it up.) Our gals may have bowed out, but they fought to the end. If you think our guys did, you and I didn't watch the same team play.

BTW, what was the excuse for last year? Bowing out to Kennesaw State. Yes, the mighty powerhouse from the suburbs of Atlanta. That has only been around 40 years or so. Yes, that traditional powerhouse. Playing at The Joe didn't save them, did it?

I wish we still had the like option because your post would definitely get one from me. Murphy achieved more than what most would've thought possible with less experience and talent than he has had in prior years, but gaspard has done less with the opposite amount of talent.

The kennesaw state series last year I can sorta forgive because kennesaw does get the Georgia leftovers and they were a pretty good team,but we should of won after beating fsu.but the Troy elimination and missing the sec tourney when 12 out of the 14 teams get invited are both unacceptable.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Hmm, Gasper flashes signs in French?

Gasper gotta go - gotta make the analogy with Anthony (He Gone) Grant: that Gasper in his six seasons has set 'Bama's baseball program back five years. And it continues slip-sliding away...

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Gasper gotta go - gotta make the analogy with Anthony (He Gone) Grant: that Gasper in his six seasons has set 'Bama's baseball program back five years. And it continues slip-sliding away...
Most of us liked CAG, even though the product on the court was substandard. But, these 2 coaches do share two of the same flaws:

In-game coaching adjustments and player development.

The difference here is no one seems to like Gasper the post-season ghost.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
His contract is up at the end of next season and he has not been given an extension beyond next season. He was likely spared by the firing of Grant with a much bigger buyout. After that, the decision was probably made to let him coach out his contract then move in a different direction.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Aren't we saving a bundle on Grant's buyout from what he will make at OKC? Has his salary there been made public?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
His contract is up at the end of next season and he has not been given an extension beyond next season. He was likely spared by the firing of Grant with a much bigger buyout. After that, the decision was probably made to let him coach out his contract then move in a different direction.
That is correct. However, his contract was due to expire at the end of this season until he was given a one-year extension last August. Why on earth he was was given an extension then, I'll never know. But for that extension, his contract would be out at the end of this month and we could have made a full transition -- new stadium, new coach. However, we are stuck with more of the same thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.