Mitch Gaspard

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Does anyone who posts on here (or who just lurks for that matter) believe that Mitch Gaspard has earned the right to coach a single game in the new stadium? If so, please explain why. Personally, I do not think that he has. The level of mediocrity to which he has taken the program is simply unacceptable. It is time to bring in a new coach to go along with the new stadium Anyone who disagrees, please feel free to tell me why I am wrong.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I really think something needs to be done, but I havent followed Bama baseball as close as I use to so I dont have a bonafide opinion of what really needs to be done, but I think we probably should find a way to replicate the current KC royals method of team building. With a killer bullpen and a good lineup you are tough to beat. As far as coaching, until this tournament I really didnt have alot to go by on Gaspard since work and school has limited my viewing of it. But I went to the Mizzou game and was underwhelmed at the coaching. If not for a late home run we wouldnt have won. Also the aTm game was truly winnable

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Yes- this entire staff needs to be replaced if Bama baseball wants to get back to an acceptable position. I understand the issues of the past- no lottery scholarships, worse facilities in the league ( stadium should have been built 10 years ago) and playing in the best league in the country.

All the more reason you have to have a top notch staff- I would rank this staff no higher than 12th best in the conference.

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
I urge everyone that truly cares about this program to send Bill Battle
a nice message.

wrbattle@bama.ua.edu

I also want Bill Battle to ask Gaspard why he deserves to come back. I can
hear Gaspard now. We couldn't practice, not to make excuses. We had to
travel to Hoover, not to make excuses. I promise to work harder and coach
better. Anyway, I will be sending Bill Battle a message. It is time to make
a change.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
a nice message.

wrbattle@bama.ua.edu

a change.

I did did my part. It worked for basketball...

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
a nice message.

wrbattle@bama.ua.edu

a change.
Yeah, he is full of excuses, but as my junior high school football coach said many, many years ago (slightly edited): "Excuses are like rear ends ... everyone has one and they're all full of crap."

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
a nice message.

wrbattle@bama.ua.edu

a change.
Thanks and done. I also told him that if he thinks barely finishing above .500 overall and well under .500 in SEC play is "what we need" then we are in deep trouble. I told him the first series will be packed then you'll see an empty Joe time and time again if Gaspard is still here. Also told him how sad it is that the barn is outrecruiting us in state as well. Almost ALL of the top talent would rather go down yonder that come here and that is sad considering our history.

I did did my part. It worked for basketball...
Well really it didn't as Battle wanted to keep him even after all of us emailed him so I'm not so certain. If Grant wouldn't have snubbed him we would have seen him back next year.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Pretty much anything would be an improvement. If I were tasked with finding a replacement, my first call would be to Tim Corbin at Vandy. If he declined, I would call Dan Heefner at Dallas Baptist.
Corbin is a pipe dream. Much better situation at Vandy- lotto and private school scholarships plus living in Nashville. He s also extremely well compensated. He would not consider coming to Bama for 2 seconds.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks and done. I also told him that if he thinks barely finishing above .500 overall and well under .500 in SEC play is "what we need" then we are in deep trouble. I told him the first series will be packed then you'll see an empty Joe time and time again if Gaspard is still here. Also told him how sad it is that the barn is outrecruiting us in state as well. Almost ALL of the top talent would rather go down yonder that come here and that is sad considering our history.

Well really it didn't as Battle wanted to keep him even after all of us emailed him so I'm not so certain. If Grant wouldn't have snubbed him we would have seen him back next year.
Auburn is not out recruiting Bama in state. That is not the problem we actually get the majority of the in state talent. Player development is the real issue.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We miss on a ton of good talent. Anfernee Grier (even though I think he was an out of stater like Rock Rucker), even David Dahl was committed to the barn even though he was a goner for sure. Sam Gillikin, I'm sure I can come up with others when I fully wake up. The barn always gets us for the very top players. Then we couldn't even get the kid from North Bama what was it? Last year? The pitcher that went to Vandy? Those are kids we need that Gaspard can't lose.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
We miss on a ton of good talent. Anfernee Grier (even though I think he was an out of stater like Rock Rucker), even David Dahl was committed to the barn even though he was a goner for sure. Sam Gillikin, I'm sure I can come up with others when I fully wake up. The barn always gets us for the very top players. Then we couldn't even get the kid from North Bama what was it? Last year? The pitcher that went to Vandy? Those are kids we need that Gaspard can't lose.

Have to disagree. White, Overstreet and Salem were the best players in Alabama 3 years ago. Gaspard has signed the 3 best players in the state this year. Auburn is going to get some players- some of them grow up Auburn fans. And any kid would be foolish not to play at Vandy right now vs Bama. Better program and more scholarship support due to lottery and academic ( private school). No brainier.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
That's why I didn't list kids like Daniel Robert who were barn locks. We will just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think alabama is fertile ground for recruits, but it seems that USA is probably the best program I. The state of alabama right now. Even though they play in the sunbelt. But they beat both us and the barn. Something just doesn't add up. I haven't religiously followed but the day when auburn and USA both have a better program than us there is something royally wrong and heads need to roll somewhere. I miss the 90s and early 2000s when we could almost go ahead and make reservations to Omaha . But alabama baseball has tanked and this can't stand.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I think alabama is fertile ground for recruits, but it seems that USA is probably the best program I. The state of alabama right now. Even though they play in the sunbelt. But they beat both us and the barn. Something just doesn't add up. I haven't religiously followed but the day when auburn and USA both have a better program than us there is something royally wrong and heads need to roll somewhere. I miss the 90s and early 2000s when we could almost go ahead and make reservations to Omaha . But alabama baseball has tanked and this can't stand.
Tanking is what happens when you have the worst facilities in the league ( that is now being corrected), no lottery scholarships for good out of state players and sadly one of the worst coaching staffs in the league.

Much has changed since the 90's and early 2000's- has not been a level playing field for a long time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Tanking is what happens when you have the worst facilities in the league ( that is now being corrected), no lottery scholarships for good out of state players and sadly one of the worst coaching staffs in the league.

Much has changed since the 90's and early 2000's- has not been a level playing field for a long time.
Yeah this is true, and that's why I'm not definitely saying fire gaspard. I don't know what needs to be done, but something has to be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.