NCAA taking a second look at N Carolina academic fraud

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I just find it ironic that one of the charges levied by the NCAA is the infamous "Lack of Institutional Control'. In essence, isn't that the problem? This institution for 20 years "controlled" the formation of a fraudulent curriculum, "controlled" the development of shadow courses, and "controlled" the steering of marginal student athletes into these courses. Matter of fact, UNC "controlled" it so well that the cover up was effective for nearly two decades.

NCAA probably should give them a Lifetime Achievement Award. :cool2:

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I do believe that UNC has stopped the "African Studies" program. Which is what their athletes all majored in. I believe that getting a degree in African Studies from UNC was equivalent to a Sociology degree from Auburn??

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
No mention was made of what is essentially a growing conflict of interest. While the NCAA is prosecuting North Carolina, it is in court fighting former players suing it because of the scandal.

How is it possible for both of those things to be going on at once? The NCAA contends it is not responsible for academic fraud at UNC. Can the association fairly investigate UNC for wrongdoing while being sued by those who allegedly were involved in it?

Part of the answer may be in the allegations themselves. For some reason, the wrongdoing is defined as "extra benefits," not outright academic impropriety. Semantically, at the least, the NCAA benefits.

It comes off as looking like the largest academic fraud case in history really isn't.

It would be terrible if these allegations turn out to be nothing more than a legal maneuver favoring the NCAA.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-of-relief-from-unc-coming-out-of-chapel-hill

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
No mention was made of what is essentially a growing conflict of interest. While the NCAA is prosecuting North Carolina, it is in court fighting former players suing it because of the scandal.

How is it possible for both of those things to be going on at once? The NCAA contends it is not responsible for academic fraud at UNC. Can the association fairly investigate UNC for wrongdoing while being sued by those who allegedly were involved in it?

Part of the answer may be in the allegations themselves. For some reason, the wrongdoing is defined as "extra benefits," not outright academic impropriety. Semantically, at the least, the NCAA benefits.

It comes off as looking like the largest academic fraud case in history really isn't.

It would be terrible if these allegations turn out to be nothing more than a legal maneuver favoring the NCAA.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-of-relief-from-unc-coming-out-of-chapel-hill
You know it is academic fraud. I know it is academic fraud. Heck, the NCAA knows it is academic fraud. However, the NCAA doesn't want to call it that because it would basically admitting some liability.

UNC deserves to be hammered back to the Stone Age. The NCAA will only do so because they've been embarrassed into it. They would have run away from it had it not been for the Wainright report and Willingham continuing going to be so vocal about it.

The NCAA is on the edge of a slippery slope.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
You know it is academic fraud. I know it is academic fraud. Heck, the NCAA knows it is academic fraud. However, the NCAA doesn't want to call it that because it would basically admitting some liability.

UNC deserves to be hammered back to the Stone Age. The NCAA will only do so because they've been embarrassed into it. They would have run away from it had it not been for the Wainright report and Willingham continuing going to be so vocal about it.

I expect NCAA to "talk tough" and do little, as in Camgate. They thought they had smoothed this one over but the lawsuit and "vocal critics" have forced their hand. They will get a few schollys taken and ..... that's it folks.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The Auburn fiasco from a few year back showed me that SACS is a joke (they just want the schools annual fee and to keep up appearances) and this proves it. TWO DECADES OF FRAUDULANT CLASSES and they get a wrist slap.

WHAT A JOKE.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
They could do more. One year is a joke. Especially in light of how they tout their academic standards.

The NZAA could have taken away one of their prized hoops championships or other wins. They hammered us over less. The length of the malfeasance, and the suspicion it went on in other departments, calls for more.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
One of the great details of intercollegiate fraud ever recorded: The babysitter and tutor for the former football coach turned out to be one of the bagmen in the case. I'm sure that's simply a remarkable coincidence.
Count me among those who still think Carolina will get nailed. We've got Langham's napkin. They've got 20 years of lack of institutional control. Sounds like a wash to me.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Remember that this is SACS, not the NCAA. Their punishment will come later. Plus, this statement said that SACS wants more questions answered. The head so SACS is Andrew Westmoreland, president of Samford.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Remember that this is SACS, not the NCAA. Their punishment will come later. Plus, this statement said that SACS wants more questions answered. The head so SACS is Andrew Westmoreland, president of Samford.
If I had just arrived from Mars and read the NCAA, ACC and N. Carolina rule books and listened to the tough talk coming from all three ..... I would think N Carolina was in big troule. However ........ I have the past five yeas of DOING NOTHING to tell me different.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's almost satisfactory enough for me that their fans and alumni can no longer tout their academic superiority with any degree of seriousness. I'm sure they will still continue to brag, but it will laughed at and mocked from now on.

Still, we were hammered for far less. More than once. This is the kind of case that deserves comments such as "staring down the barrel of a gun." Interestingly enough, I read recently that the sanctimonious jerk that uttered those infamous words years ago is retiring soon.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
It's almost satisfactory enough for me that their fans and alumni can no longer tout their academic superiority with any degree of seriousness. I'm sure they will still continue to brag, but it will laughed at and mocked from now on.

Still, we were hammered for far less. More than once. This is the kind of case that deserves comments such as "staring down the barrel of a gun." Interestingly enough, I read recently that the sanctimonious jerk that uttered those infamous words years ago is retiring soon.
Who can help my faltering memory? I have succeeded in mostly forgetting those years.

Was it Terry Don something-or-other from Clemson? . . . Oklahoma?

Wasn't he at some school that was a serial cheater?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.