Link: The History of Arlington...

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Re: Teh History of Arlington...

Arlington is one place I want to visit and watch the changing of the guard. This should be a hallowed place to every American. Thanks for sharing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Arlington is one place I want to visit and watch the changing of the guard. This should be a hallowed place to every American. Thanks for sharing.
Anyone who's been can tell you that it sends shivers up your spine and brings tears to the eyes...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

The changing of the guard is the most solemn, awe inspiring event I have ever seen. The only sound are the sounds of the guards footsteps and clicking of their heels. It is a must see if you get to DC.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

At Fort Myer, I saw a picture of a guard at the Tomb wearing his "bus driver hat" (round dress hat) in a snow storm.
The guard was standing at attention, unflinching, with three inches of snow piled up on his hat. Awesome pic.

The only place in the US Army that soldiers are allowed to wear sunglasses while in formation is at the Tomb. Because of the white marble on which they march, the soldiers of the Old Guard were suffering form snow blindness, so the Army issued them sunglasses.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I've seen one like that - might be the same one.

I also like this one from Hurricane Sandy:

The guards of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier take their assignment very seriously - I saw a video a few years ago on how they prepare, train, etc. - the respect they show is amazing.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
A nice read on this particular day...

LINK
I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

I visited Washington, D. C. a few years ago. I had to drive down to Charlottesville to see Thomas Jefferson's "Monticello". Then, back to the Washington area to see George Washington's home, and several other things and waited until the last day to spend a couple of hours at Arlington. It wasn't enough time at any of the locations especially Arlington. I could have spent at least a month or more there: the Smithsonian, the Capitol, the White House, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, the National Cathedral, etc.

The worst part of my stay was watching the Bama vs LSU game at an Irish (I think) bar and restaurant. I think that was 5 years ago.

I didn't spend enough time at any of the locations.

I guess the President heard I was coming and headed to India so he wouldn't have to see me at the White House. Make sure you don't take a camera to the White House if don't want it confiscated. Not mine. We did read the necessary literature before making the visit. Contact your Senator or Congressman prior to the visit to get into the Capital for a tour.

Yes, Arlington was a somber type of visit. I think you need at least 3/4 of a day there and go all the way up to the Mansion and grounds around the Mansion.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Reminded me of this article...http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-05-...ns-still-trek-graves-us-world-war-ii-soldiers

Dutch citizens still trek to the graves of US World War II soldiers

"Local people go to the gravesites a couple of times a year to bring flowers and to thank the liberators," Hermes says. "We are very grateful for what the Americans did in the second world war, and we want to show that by taking care of the graves."

They're several different articles about this town and how they honor the Veterans buried in the cemetery. One said there was a waiting list to adopt the care for decorating the graves.

Another Link

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The history of Arlington Cemetery was taught to us, in Military History class, back when I was in ROTC.

Along with a number of........uh, finer points about the Civil War. Such as the West Point graduates, who served the Confederacy, are still considered "war heroes", as they served their country. (Back then, ones state was considered to be their country; not the USA.) Which is why there are Army bases named after Confederate generals. Much to the chagrin of some folks. (Like members of the extended family who had ancestors held in Andersonville. Oh, well.)

The point being when the Army taught us Civil War history, they covered a lot more than just the direct military angles. I don't know how it is handled today, but back in the day, they went out of their way to present a complete and unbiased account of all facets of it.

Could be wrong, but I suspect the true story of Arlington would be glossed over, if covered at all, by today's Army.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
When I was a teen in the mid '70's my family and I would go to Arlington every other year to visit my aunt and uncle who live there even still. My uncle worked at the Pentagon back then as a Naval ship building engineer. Been to the cemetery twice and all the other main attractions, monuments, White House, Smithsonian, Mount Vernon, multiple times too.

You just can't see everything in one trip as you all know and now that its been 35 years or so since I was last there I bet it would be like seeing everything for the first time again now. My aunt is not in to good of shape these days but I bet my uncle is still in good shape health wise, good enough to take us around to all the sites again, so may just have to go see them. Thanks for bringing back memories!! :)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
When I was a teen in the mid '70's my family and I would go to Arlington every other year to visit my aunt and uncle who live there even still. My uncle worked at the Pentagon back then as a Naval ship building engineer. Been to the cemetery twice and all the other main attractions, monuments, White House, Smithsonian, Mount Vernon, multiple times too.

You just can't see everything in one trip as you all know and now that its been 35 years or so since I was last there I bet it would be like seeing everything for the first time again now. My aunt is not in to good of shape these days but I bet my uncle is still in good shape health wise, good enough to take us around to all the sites again, so may just have to go see them. Thanks for bringing back memories!! :)
DC is worth a visit. There is a ton of money in DC and tourism is the only honest activity in that town.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.