JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Looking back at the Class of 2010
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
May 25th, 2015 10:17 PM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief May 25, 2014 Over the last five years, TideFans.com and NARCAS have taken a look back at old recruiting rankings, partially as a self-check, but also to see how players had progressed since arriving on campus. The mark of a “great” class, five years after the fact, is generally […]

Read More Here

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
And as I noted on Twitter, it gets easier to write these stories every year. Most of the Saban guys produce. You don't have to jump through hoops to find out where a lot of them are. Some of the Shula classes just produced some downright weird results five years later.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Jess, you are the reason I joined TideFans initially and articles like this are the reason why. Thanks a million for taking the time to write this. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and it makes me even more comfortable than before that we have by far the best program, top to bottom, in college football.

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Wow! I hate to say it but that class was a bit of a disappointment as a whole. Only a few bright spots to go along with quite a few non-contributors.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Wow! I hate to say it but that class was a bit of a disappointment as a whole. Only a few bright spots to go along with quite a few non-contributors.
I can't say I agree with that. You're talking about a class that produced 17 guys that were either drafted or invited to NFL camps. Then you have the superstar factor -- Mosley, Milliner, B.Sims -- plus a bunch of guys that either made up the blue-collar foundation of the team or were key reserves. There wasn't much of a bust quotient here -- getting a 65% contribution rate from a class puts it at the top end of Saban classes we've reviewed so far.

If there's a complaint to be made it's that the overall talent level trended to the middle on this class rather than to the top end of the scale, but I thought the class was more than good enough to produce a champion.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Jess, you are the reason I joined TideFans initially and articles like this are the reason why. Thanks a million for taking the time to write this. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and it makes me even more comfortable than before that we have by far the best program, top to bottom, in college football.

Thanks for the kind words. We probably don't say thanks enough for comments like yours. Hard to believe we're almost to the 20-year mark online (back to our days as BamaNation.com) and it's due to our loyal member base more so than the things we write.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I can't say I agree with that. You're talking about a class that produced 17 guys that were either drafted or invited to NFL camps. Then you have the superstar factor -- Mosley, Milliner, B.Sims -- plus a bunch of guys that either made up the blue-collar foundation of the team or were key reserves. There wasn't much of a bust quotient here -- getting a 65% contribution rate from a class puts it at the top end of Saban classes we've reviewed so far.

If there's a complaint to be made it's that the overall talent level trended to the middle on this class rather than to the top end of the scale, but I thought the class was more than good enough to produce a champion.
Completely agree. I was surprised by how well this class produced. Ranking-wise it was one of Saban's most disappointing classes (#4 on Rivals I believe). Jess's write up just goes to show it's not about the initial rankings coming out of high school. It's how they finish their careers. I never would've imagined this class would've outperformed 2008 or 2009.

Great read. Look forward to these every off season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.