With a little time to reflect, what are your feelings about A.J. McCarron?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I like AJ. He wasnt perfect, but no one would be. I dont think we would have won 2 championships with many others at the helm.

I think He's cocky and a bit immature, but who can blame him? He's a historically successful quarterback at one of the all time premier universities, and in his home state. I'm sure at times AJ felt like he had it made and that he was invincible. Anyone of us in his position would probably have felt the same. There are things he could have done better, but he was a model citizen at Bama, he stayed out of trouble, kept up as a student and athlete.

Honestly, he's invested more in the program than just about anyone. So while I didn't agree with many of the things he said after leaving, I don't really blame him for feeling entitled enough to express his opinions. I hope time will heal those sensitive little hurt feelings out there, because I believe you can take it to the bank that we wouldn't have had the success we did without him.

He is still the quarterback who had more championships than losses most of his career. No matter how good of a team you put him on, that still takes a great quarterback to achieve.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Wish we could put AJM in the wayback machine and see what Kiffin could do with him on this years' team. No, I'm not knocking McElwain or Nussmeier.

Agree with many of the comments about disengaging his mouth after leaving Alabama, but I LIKE HIM for what he did for our team.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
A lot of thought provoking posts in a great thread...

Very briefly, his performance in the NCG against LSWho is something I will never forget...

Man, was he ON...

Pinpoint precision...

OTOH, I try to purge the Oklahoma game from my memory banks...

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
This is ridiculous. The guy's won 3 national championships and this is how we treat him? Name me one other Bama QB who's won multiple championships as a starter. You can't, because there is none.

AJ is not a perfect human being nor was he a flawless football player. But give him the credit he deserves. There was a good reason why he was the starter for 3 years. I will still remember for his superb performance against LSU in the championship game.

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014
Think he was the perfect man to play QB at Alabama.

1. Didnt turn it over
2. Didnt need the spotlight, but could thrive in it if necessary
3. Guys seemed to rally around him

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
AJ is a winner & I'm sure glad he played at Bama.

One thing I have always really liked about Namath has been that he appreciated playing at Bama, and under Coach Bryant. It was (and still is) rare for him to give an interview after going pro where he didn't mention how grateful he felt towards his time in Tuscaloosa or his love of the University or Coach Bryant.

I don't mean to suggest AJ is under appreciative for how he developed while in Tuscaloosa, but I also think with time he might get to be more vocal with his appreciation for having had the good fortune of being Bama's quarterback.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I am very high on AJ. If not for the fluckiest play in the history of sport, he/Bama would have won 3 NC in a row. I know his mouth has alienated some of us but I still love AJ.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Great QB never in trouble always spent time with sick children, he still stays out of trouble speaks his mind.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is ridiculous. The guy's won 3 national championships and this is how we treat him? Name me one other Bama QB who's won multiple championships as a starter. You can't, because there is none.

Bart Starr won 5 nfl championships and two superbowls as a starter. Does that count or are you talking about national championships in college?:wink:

I think you have to base this argument on just personal opinion, and none is more right or wrong than the next. If you base this kinda stuff on championships then we shouldnt even add Peyton Manning to the discussion of GOAT ever again because he is behind Big Ben,Little Manning, as well as company like Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman, Brady, and a few others. It also is hard to judge because there are qbs that were grounded by either the offensive philosphy of the head coach or just plain bad luck with injuries and sanctions. Barker and Croyle come to mind. Granted Barker won a championship, but at the very least he shouldve played for a second in 94. He had a great season in 94 with Homer but it seemed Stallings always handcuffed Homer in playcalling, and only time he let he loose was against UGA. But that was more because we were behind and it was apparent we couldnt stop them. Had he done it in the SECCG we wouldve won and played probably Nebraska. Granted I dont know if we wouldve won, but Barker's resume would be higher on the list of qbs not doubt.

As far as AJ. I still think he was great for what we needed, and he would be in the top 5 of Alabama qbs. I think his only knock, besides his immaturity, is that he played on unreal teams in 2011 and 12. I can pass the blame on the 13 seasons ending more on our play calling than a lack of leadership. Because how many times did we try to run when it wasnt there, but Amari and AJ were killing Auburn through the air.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Those of you diminishing AJ's accomplishments because of the great teams that he played on need to consider the great teams that the other Alabama QBs mentioned in this thread played on. In particular, Namath and Stabler played on insanely talented teams.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Those of you diminishingAJ's accomplishments because of the great teams that he played on need toconsider the great teams that the other Alabama QBs mentioned in this threadplayed on. In particular, Namath and Stabler played on insanely talentedteams.
The 2011 team ranks up there with the 95 Nebraska teams in overall talent, andthe 2012 team had one of the best offensive lines ever assembled. Plus if you are comparing then Joe Namath had way less 1st and 2nd round talent than AJ has. Yes Namath,Stabler,Ruteledge, and Barker had great teams, but also consider thatAlabama didnt pass it near as much as they do today. Who really knows how great of stats Jay Barker couldve had if Homer Smith had his way with the offense and we werent so conservative. Aj was a great qb for us, but its a matter opinion of how great.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
His junior year was, in my opinion, clearly the best year any Bama QB had. He is kinda cocky, as most great athletes are, and he chose to make some unfortunate comments after he left, but he produced on the field. One of the all timers at Bama in my opinion.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
His junior year was, in my opinion, clearly the best year any Bama QB had. He is kinda cocky, as most great athletes are, and he chose to make some unfortunate comments after he left, but he produced on the field. One of the all timers at Bama in my opinion.
Basically agree with this. As a player he's an all time great. Won two national championships with dominant performances in both. Hit game winner against uga in seccg. Crushed ut every year. Big numbers against aubie. Lsu drive. The dude was a stud.

Having said that, his comments and actions afterwards have kind of made me sour on him as far as his personality goes.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I believe my first comment on AJ was about his tattoo.

Yes, he accomplished a great deal, on the field, for us. Sure we are all eternally grateful for that.

The tattoo comment (whatever it was) stands. I'll leave it at that.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
If he would have kept his mouth shut he would be a true Bama legend in almost everyone's eyes. Now he'll always have a scar on his image, I think a lot of that was due to that dang "reality tv" show and who he married as I think she rah rah'd in his ear making him think they could have won MORE if those players would have done what "he said".

But all in all I will always like him, as long as he keeps his mouth shut.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I thought he was a terrific college QB.

As far as his mouthing off a bit, I wouldn't make too much of it. I have 2 sons aged 26 and 24 and like AJ, they too let their mouth skip ahead of their brain from time to time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.