With a little time to reflect, what are your feelings about A.J. McCarron?

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Sure, he has done a few things that a lot of folks don't approve of, me included, but I still love him. As far as I'm concerned, his "atta boy's" far outweigh his "aw craps."

He'll alway stand pretty tall to me. How about you?

:BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Statistically he's the best QB to ever play at Bama. What else can you say?

He needs to learn to keep his mouth shut though, or perhaps to more eloquently get his point across.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I went from thinking he was kind of a gunslinger and a little immature, to thinking he should be a Heisman candidate and viewing him as an Alabama great, to wondering if Nick Saban hadn't (against his will to some extent) been the main reason he seemed so great.

I still like him, I still value him for what he did and how he conducted himself most of the time, but things did start to tarnish his image. The tattoos were just... well, a smart guy doesn't do that. Those were internet meme bad. That alone didn't really impact how I viewed him that much though, but it did bring his judgement into question and did make me think that may be my first impression had some truth to it.

But, the stuff he started saying after his Alabama career? His own words made it seem like the main reason he was so disciplined and conducted himself so well was that he was forced to, and he didn't sound appreciative either. It seems to me he managed to sabotage himself a bit, impact his draft status negatively and now? He has to find the maturity that Saban apparently forced on him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One of the best college QBs in the history of the game. A disappointing senior season keeps me from labeling him the best, but top 10.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A good QB who could have been one of the all time greats. I used to view him as a great leader, but I no longer do. I believe other guys on that team (Barrett, CJ Moseley) were the true leaders and McCarron just knew how to yap. IMO he had the opportunity to take the program to uncharted greatness and his inability to lead did the team in.

Having said all of that negative (and I wouldn't even say it were it not for all of his stupid comments after he graduated) he is still one of Alabama's best QBs of all time and overall I appreciate what he did do for the University. The negative just sticks with me too much to let it go.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I have a positive impression/memory of him. How can we not?

Additional thoughts:

I think his early success contributed to the team's "failure" in his senior season. I think he had gotten a little "too big for his britches" and it probably wasn't a harmonious locker room that year - largely because of him. I think there was perhaps some resentment toward him. I don't have any factual basis for this, just my impression. See: Championship game spat between him and Barrett Jones for a possible indicator of how some on the team may have felt about him. That team should not have been beaten.

KrAzY, I agree with what you've said... some of the stuff he's said after leaving campus has tarnished his image a bit. You didn't mention this specifically, but his "chip on my shoulder" shtick got a little old (talking about being disrespected and such prior to the draft). I guess I never walked in his shoes, but I think would have preferred a "quieter", positive approach.

I absolutely still root for him and look forward to him getting a chance with the Bengals. I have never thought that he was NFL-starter talent, but some kids mature and blossom post-college. If he does, then he can be an NFL starter, no question. Don't get me wrong (AJ, don't get mad that I am disrespecting you), he was and is a fine QB... one of the best in Bama history. I hope he's around for a long time.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He was a very good college QB on several great teams. I was disappointed with some of his behavior after leaving Alabama. It now appears that his demeanor, discipline and focus as our QB was a product of CNS's hands on coaching. As to whether he makes it in the NFL is to be determined.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A good QB who could have been one of the all time greats. I used to view him as a great leader, but I no longer do. I believe other guys on that team (Barrett, CJ Moseley) were the true leaders and McCarron just knew how to yap. IMO he had the opportunity to take the program to uncharted greatness and his inability to lead did the team in.

Having said all of that negative (and I wouldn't even say it were it not for all of his stupid comments after he graduated) he is still one of Alabama's best QBs of all time and overall I appreciate what he did do for the University. The negative just sticks with me too much to let it go.
Very well said. In the last year, too many comments were made by current and former players along with some comments by CNS that make me believe AJ was not a leader on the 2013 team. His lack of leadership seemed to greatly cost the 2013 team.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Sadly, this^^^^.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Very well said. In the last year, too many comments were made by current and former players along with some comments by CNS that make me believe AJ was not a leader on the 2013 team. His lack of leadership seemed to greatly cost the 2013 team.
...and this^^^^.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
He was better than his detractors thought and not as great as his proponents thought.

He won a lot of games running an incredibly talented team and acted like a jerk on occasion.

He brought home two national titles to the tide...he's forever a hero at the capstone but his leadership will always be questioned.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I think he was a great quarterback for us. He may be a little immature but remember guys how we were at that age. At least for me, I look back and cringe sometimes wishing I had done some things differently. We could have done much worse than AJ. It's to easy to sit at a computer, sip coffee and pass judgement when we don't know what motivates people. If I met him, I'd shake his hand and say I enjoyed watching him play at Alabama and wish him well in the NFL.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I went from thinking he was kind of a gunslinger and a little immature, to thinking he should be a Heisman candidate and viewing him as an Alabama great, to wondering if Nick Saban hadn't (against his will to some extent) been the main reason he seemed so great.

I still like him, I still value him for what he did and how he conducted himself most of the time, but things did start to tarnish his image. The tattoos were just... well, a smart guy doesn't do that. Those were internet meme bad. That alone didn't really impact how I viewed him that much though, but it did bring his judgement into question and did make me think that may be my first impression had some truth to it.

But, the stuff he started saying after his Alabama career? His own words made it seem like the main reason he was so disciplined and conducted himself so well was that he was forced to, and he didn't sound appreciative either. It seems to me he managed to sabotage himself a bit, impact his draft status negatively and now? He has to find the maturity that Saban apparently forced on him.
I more agree with this. I loved what he did at alabama, but was always fearful his St. Paul's days would resurface at some point.

To His credit he found out who was boss at alabama and accepted it through three years of his career. But once he got his freedom back he reverted back to old AJ. I appreciate what he has done for the capstone but I don't like the old him coming back.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A lot of people say he was the #1 QB in Alabama's history but I don't have a problem putting him in about #7 or 8 at best.
Statistically he is, but it's a matter of opinion really. I mean some have argued qbs like jay barker are to them. But most will probably say joe Namath

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I thought he did well but agree that CNS had a lot to do with that. Personally, I like Blake Sims more. Let's see what he does in the NFL. I am pulling for him.
i agree with you. Blake IMO was the best we've had in my time as a Bama fan which goes back to around 1985 or so. As far as AJ goes, i have no problem with him as a person. I think he was a very good system QB in college. If he had the arm strength i think he'd have a heck of a lot better shot in the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.