The Problems with a Cost of Attendance Stipend

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Appears the SEC is trying to make things a little more clear:

@JonSolomonCBS SEC creates rule providing cost of attendance transparency. Each school provides written report to SEC office identifying "other expenses."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Appears Alabama will be moving up the list of SEC schools. The cost of attendance for UA is now $5,442. Link
It had to be done, Alabama wasn't going to be the one to go and push this issue, like Auburn and Tennessee did (still will be more for those schools, but small enough difference to be negligible). However, they couldn't let those two schools compensate athletes to the tune of $3,000 more per year. It will be interesting to see how other conferences end up handling this, it always had an arms race aspect to it in that not everyone school is going to want to fork a lot out on this.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I wish that I had received $100 per week for expenses when I attended the University although I probably would have not lasted more than 1 semester!!!
Lol, so true. Where does $5000 a semester go to when room and board are already free? Discipline problems, that's where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Just like when Auburn stretched their athletes academics or API, whatever it was to the point they all were the smartest in the conference. Higher even than Vanderbilt.

It's amazing that when Auburn is given the rope they come out smarter than Vanderbilt and now they are preparing to give their athletes more money than Standford. They must love the limelight.

Same as the arrests of students compared to athletes. It's not even close, regardless of all the trouble and even shoot outs at parties.

The NCAA must be very afraid of someone or something down at the cow college.

I wish that rope would finally tighten around their neck at the bottom of a long fall.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Lol, so true. Where does $5000 a semester go to when room and board are already free? Discipline problems, that's where.
Let's give one example, Alabama had a player who was formerly homeless. He was accused of taking impermissible benefits, for a set of bedroom furniture. Now, consider that for a bit...

Do most of these guys need the $5,000? No, not really, but also consider the fuss recently about what Braxton Miller did, which was post a picture of a product he was selling (kind of like Avon for athletes) which as it turns out was a violation since he was using his image to sell the product. There are actually a lot of jobs that athletes can't have, due to it being potential violations.

On top of that though, it's a matter of their time. They are expected to perform on the field as athletes, and this involved a grueling schedule and they are expected to perform academically, which is also a full time schedule. There's really not a whole lot of time left for work after that anyway.

I am in no way against the stipend, I think the standard should be more consistent, but the fact is it actually existed before the NCAA started trying to level the playing field and what not (to the point that having a cookout was a violation). It makes sense, it gives the athletes enough money to insure their needs are met, now some will still get in trouble, some will still do violations, but it might also go to buy some family a bed to...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Let's give one example, Alabama had a player who was formerly homeless. He was accused of taking impermissible benefits, for a set of bedroom furniture. Now, consider that for a bit...

Do most of these guys need the $5,000? No, not really, but also consider the fuss recently about what Braxton Miller did, which was post a picture of a product he was selling (kind of like Avon for athletes) which as it turns out was a violation since he was using his image to sell the product. There are actually a lot of jobs that athletes can't have, due to it being potential violations.

On top of that though, it's a matter of their time. They are expected to perform on the field as athletes, and this involved a grueling schedule and they are expected to perform academically, which is also a full time schedule. There's really not a whole lot of time left for work after that anyway.

I am in no way against the stipend, I think the standard should be more consistent, but the fact is it actually existed before the NCAA started trying to level the playing field and what not (to the point that having a cookout was a violation). It makes sense, it gives the athletes enough money to insure their needs are met, now some will still get in trouble, some will still do violations, but it might also go to buy some family a bed to...
The simple fact is that no matter the amount of money a players is given, it will never be enough. The media bellows how the athletes are being taken advantage of by the schools making million of dollars. Nothing is farther from the truth. About 90% of schools lose money on the athletic programs before the new stipend, now throw in the new stipend and it will get even worse. Schools like Alabama that make money usually return it back to the academic side of the budget which helps some other non athlete get to go to school, but by and large most athletic programs are subsidized by the academic side.

You have to think about this as well, a soccer player, swimmer, and Tennis player will also get it and many of those kids don't need any help.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The simple fact is that no matter the amount of money a players is given, it will never be enough. The media bellows how the athletes are being taken advantage of by the schools making million of dollars. Nothing is farther from the truth. About 90% of schools lose money on the athletic programs before the new stipend, now throw in the new stipend and it will get even worse. Schools like Alabama that make money usually return it back to the academic side of the budget which helps some other non athlete get to go to school, but by and large most athletic programs are subsidized by the academic side.

You have to think about this as well, a soccer player, swimmer, and Tennis player will also get it and many of those kids don't need any help.
A: I think a lot of FBS programs shouldn't exist.
B: I see no problem with Alabama spending money it makes towards the betterment of the football program, and those athletes, instead of it being given to say... UAB.

For some people sure, it will never be enough. But, the way things were was bad and you darn well know it. Signing something on a napkin was a big deal, eating a burger might get you suspended, coaches had to lie about cookouts... cookouts! Things are changing sure, and I value amateur status as well, but a stipend as I said predated the NCAA's draconian rules, there are students at Alabama who have been receiving stipends, which by the way have been about $10,000 a year. You knew that right? This helps insure that the players are not reliant on other sources of income, and I don't see what's wrong with that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.