Link: Ranking the 230 Division 1 Athletic Programs Based on 2013-2014 Revenue

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Why is UA football subsidized at all? They certainly don't need the money...:)
As I read the chart, the numbers are for the Athletic Department as a whole, not just the football program. Still, with revenues $33 million greater than expenses, I also wondered why there's any subsidy at all.

Then, I remembered this is an article centered on accounting, but appearing in the general consumption press. So I wondered about their definitions of the key words, "Revenue", "Expense", and "Subsidy."

Like the accountant of choice, the answer is likely, "I don't know. What do you want them to be?"

Yes, I trust the press about as far as I can throw an angry Ashawn Robinson.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Wisconsin seemed to come from out of nowhere. I've never noticed them anywhere near the top of the list. Also does Nike own Oregon or does Oregon own Nike? How else are they at the top?

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
These numbers are radically different from when it was last updated, and it's kind of inexplicable to figure out how Oregon went up 80,000,000 in revenue in one year. Did Nike just load a truck full of money and give it to Oregon?

In the previous year, I believe, Wisconsin had already gained a slight edge on Alabama, but that's because they reinvest just about every penny they have.

What Alabama needs to do, and I believe we are starting to see this with the renewed focus on basketball, is to make sure they are properly reinvesting money. I do not like it when an athletic department loses millions every year, but these are amateur athletes, in theory this is not for profit. They shouldn't make such a large profit either, it should be put back into the athletic department (not into the UA system so UAB can siphon it off).

Finally, it looks like Texas has fallen off their throne. Their revenue was markedly far ahead for a few years, but now they aren't just #2, but Michigan and Alabama are in shouting distance. If you consider the fact that they are spending over 30 million a year more than Alabama, they shouldn't be too hard to catch either. I suppose the SEC's inroads into their territory might be starting to take a toll.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
These numbers are radically different from when it was last updated, and it's kind of inexplicable to figure out how Oregon went up 80,000,000 in revenue in one year. Did Nike just load a truck full of money and give it to Oregon?

In the previous year, I believe, Wisconsin had already gained a slight edge on Alabama, but that's because they reinvest just about every penny they have.

What Alabama needs to do, and I believe we are starting to see this with the renewed focus on basketball, is to make sure they are properly reinvesting money. I do not like it when an athletic department loses millions every year, but these are amateur athletes, in theory this is not for profit. They shouldn't make such a large profit either, it should be put back into the athletic department (not into the UA system so UAB can siphon it off).

Finally, it looks like Texas has fallen off their throne. Their revenue was markedly far ahead for a few years, but now they aren't just #2, but Michigan and Alabama are in shouting distance. If you consider the fact that they are spending over 30 million a year more than Alabama, they shouldn't be too hard to catch either. I suppose the SEC's inroads into their territory might be starting to take a toll.
If you click on Oregon, it say's they received about 125 million in "contributions" for 2014 and around 46 million the year before. So yeah the Brinks truck was quite full.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, Oregon DID finally win the... wait... never mind...
You know I think the media darling USC might actually be the PAC 12 winner for the first time since the Carroll days. I just think Oregon has benefitted from the 11 dwarves and superior talent for too long. It might actually revert back to normacy to where USC reclaims their throne. IDK and I dont really care as long as it doesnt affect us. I just have that feeling.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.