New Alabama secondary coach Mel Tucker knows the expectations in Tuscaloosa

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Click here

And yes, he told the audience at the DEX Imaging/Reese's Senior Bowl L'Arche Football Preview in Mobile on Wednesday night: He is going to make sure the Tide's defensive backs look for the ball.
"That's one of the things you have to be able to do as a defensive back: You have to be able to play the ball in the deep part of the field," he said. "We'll make sure those guys get that done."

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Find the ball... it seems like such an obvious thing, although I am sure there's more to it than it appears on the surface.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't know if there is anything more sickening in football than to see the QB .... it for a long one and you know, you just KNOW that it's going to be completed. No matter how many DB's are there to watch it come down that's all they will do, watch it. We went through a similar bout of "can't defend the pass" in the late 80's. I think we had a four or five game stretch where the first play of the game was a long bomb for a touchdown against our secondary. We all knew it was coming every week and still they couldn't stop it.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
If Tucker does what I *think* he will to our secondary, this year's defense could be absolutely BEASTLY.
I agree. While this team overall has more question marks at this same than last years version, I think the ceiling for this team is substantially higher than last year. Especially on the oline and the secondary. Both groups could struggle but both have potential to be very good.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
HA!

Could it be he will make a great position coach, but did not have head coach abilities? (Don't ask me, because I have no idea.)

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I think Saban said earlier in his NFL career his CBs were slow, so he adjusted to a different scheme that worked out well.

As we have seen in college many long balls have been completed that were no more than high and long, or the perfect type pass a quality corner back could attack in the air. Intercept or knock down as long as he's looking for the ball and not trying to strip the receiver after the Hail Mary type throw.

It was also obvious some of our guys were out of position or not is sync with the play call. We now have the talent, just need to get on the same page. Communicate and execute.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
there was some idiot on here who posted, a few weeks ago, that he was glad Saban finally hired a secondary coach, and that it was totally ridiculous that Saban taught the DB's to try and read the receivers eyes rather than simply turning and finding the ball and being allowed to use their incredible athletic ability to defend the pass. I can't remember who that was, but boy he got put in his place fast.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
That isn't just recently, though. It seems that most of my life opposing qbs turn into Heisman candidates against us.
Do you mean that they elevate their level of play or that, IYO, Bama's incomptence makes them look like a Heisman candidate ?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.