Link: No big name team wants to play Auburn in 2018-2019

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Our last home/home was Penn State. I miss them as well. The big neutral site kick off classics have hurt college football in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that having the big names in college football play at neutral sites has hurt college football, but supporters will tell you it is all about the money and recruiting. IMO college football has changed so dramatically over the past 10-15 years that were I not already a life long fan I probably would find something else to do on Saturdays in the fall.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't think our neutral site games really help recruiting that much. We play in Texas every other year anyway, is a game at Jerry World going to give us that much more publicity there? Are players in the Atlanta area not exposed to us enough as it is? No, we don't normally play Georgia, but we are in the title game often and we are the arch rival of one of Georgia's biggest conference rivals. Plus, as there are more and more of these games, the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I agree that having the big names in college football play at neutral sites has hurt college football, but supporters will tell you it is all about the money and recruiting. IMO college football has changed so dramatically over the past 10-15 years that were I not already a life long fan I probably would find something else to do on Saturdays in the fall.
Same for me with baseball. Interleague play, expanded playoffs, teams changing leagues and the stupid All star Game deciding home field for the World Series has turned off this lifelong fan. The AL and NL, which once meant something, no longer have any identity and are now nothing more than the NFC and AFC. Once the DH becomes universal I may be done completely.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Our last home/home was Penn State. I miss them as well. The big neutral site kick off classics have hurt college football in that regard.

And the only other one in recent years was against Duke. I still remember the back to back years against both Nebraska and USC in the late 70s. Hopefully, we can return to those days.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
First, to state the obvious, Auburn is one of the top programs in college football right now, and they have been for a while. For the rest - every school is trying to do what is best for them, not help Auburn. If Auburn wants these teams on their schedule then they have to find opportunities that are mutually beneficial.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Same for me with baseball. Interleague play, expanded playoffs, teams changing leagues and the stupid All star Game deciding home field for the World Series has turned off this lifelong fan. The AL and NL, which once meant something, no longer have any identity and are now nothing more than the NFC and AFC. Once the DH becomes universal I may be done completely.
MLB lost me after the Boston vs Cincinnati World Series in 1975? I would rather watch the HSN reruns than an NFL or NBA game.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
That was a great Series. What turned you off about that?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Very few of the 64 P5 teams want to play any of the others OOC. Which is why there are so many games with 1AA schools. The entire 128 1A teams are trying to schedule almost all of the 500+ OOC games with the 64 non P5 teams which have but 256 open slots.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.