Link: No big name team wants to play Auburn in 2018-2019

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
No doubt the barners are spinning it as "fear" but the reality is why should a big name program play the barn? There's no upside for them: if they win, then so what? If the barn wins, the "big name program" looks bad. Lose-Lose scenario.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
No doubt the barners are spinning it as "fear" but the reality is why should a big name program play the barn? There's no upside for them: if they win, then so what? If the barn wins, the "big name program" looks bad. Lose-Lose scenario.
Kind of a short sighted comment. I'm no Barn apologist, but they been to 2 national championship games in 5 years. Only other team to do that is us. 10 years ago, there may not have been an upside to beating Auburn. Now it's almost guaranteed to be a top 10 win and a big SoS boost. That's about as big time as anyone else in college football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I guess they all prefer to play us, but good ol Jay Jacobs is spinning it that everyone is afraid to play Gus

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/05/big-name_opponents_reluctant_t.html#incart_2box
Using Gus' offense is such a weak attempt at mocking teams that have turned Auburn down. What conference doesn't have a team running a similar offense?

Jay is just trying to rally around the one thing folks know about Auburn - Gus' fast paced offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have to admit this would be an interesting way to pay back Auburn for their trying to cheat when it comes to cost of attendance.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am sure I will get flamed for theses comments, but here goes. I despise auburn, but you are foolish to think auburn is going away, they have talent, they have very good coaching and they are not afraid of Alabama. I will admit that there were several years auburn and their coaches were intimidated by CNS and Alabama, but the come from behind wins in 2010 and 2013 proved to them that they can play with us straight up. Malzahn is no CNS, but he doesn't have to be as long as his teams believe they can beat Alabama.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I am sure I will get flamed for theses comments, but here goes. I despise auburn, but you are foolish to think auburn is going away, they have talent, they have very good coaching and they are not afraid of Alabama. I will admit that there were several years auburn and their coaches were intimidated by CNS and Alabama, but the come from behind wins in 2010 and 2013 proved to them that they can play with us straight up. Malzahn is no CNS, but he doesn't have to be as long as his teams believe they can beat Alabama.
Yeah, I somewhat agree. Many times, it's painfully obvious that Auburn wants to win while we want to not lose. However, as everyone on here knows, Alabama is the ONLY game that matters to them. As long as they continue to lose to us, no coach will ever survive.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, I somewhat agree. Many times, it's painfully obvious that Auburn wants to win while we want to not lose. However, as everyone on here knows, Alabama is the ONLY game that matters to them. As long as they continue to lose to us, no coach will ever survive.
Yeah I remember they were so high on playing for the BCSNCG against FSU and were all over social media during the game, but when they lost every single one of them said "Atleast we beat BAMA". I would be sick if we had that narrative for atleast a week or two.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Why should BIG name teams go play in the backwoods of Lee County? Do BIG name teams even know Auburn is in Alabama, or do they jut assume so? This is definitely a slight at Auburn ego that nobody thinks enough of Auburn to schedule games with them. Jacobs and Auburn can spin it however they like but the fact remains Auburn is viewed as "the other team" in this state.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Why should BIG name teams go play in the backwoods of Lee County? Do BIG name teams even know Auburn is in Alabama, or do they jut assume so? This is definitely a slight at Auburn ego that nobody thinks enough of Auburn to schedule games with them. Jacobs and Auburn can spin it however they like but the fact remains Auburn is viewed as "the other team" in this state.
Come to think of it when has Auburn played Notre Dame, Michigan, or tOSU? I rember the last legit powerhouse team they played in the regular seaon was USC in 02 and 03.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If you want games on the schedule then you have to neutral field.

They're damn fortunate to have two h&h scheduled...a seemingly rare occurrence these days.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
\

I agree and depending on the succession plan we follow post-Saban I really think we could see a repeat of the '80's with the barn in the coming next decade, whether Gus is there or not. I know we all like to make fun of them but they have a top10 football program and they are not going anywhere. On top of that Saban has yet to accomplish one thing that Stallings did and frankly I don't think he ever will-- three wins in a row against the barn.

Last edited:

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
\

I agree and depending on the succession plan we follow post-Saban I really think we could see a repeat of the '80's with the barn in the coming next decade, whether Gus is there or not. I know we all like to make fun of them but they have a top10 football program and they are not going anywhere. On top of that Saban has yet to accomplish one thing that Stallings did and frankly I don't think he ever will-- three wins in a row against the barn.
You see us going 4-6 against the barn in the next ten years? Blasphemy, sir!!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If you want games on the schedule then you have to neutral field.

They're damn fortunate to have two h&h scheduled...a seemingly rare occurrence these days.
Our last home/home was Penn State. I miss them as well. The big neutral site kick off classics have hurt college football in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.