Alabama Football: Who Can Be the Leader Nick Saban Needs in 2015?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eader-nick-saban-needs-in-2015?is_shared=true

I found this article interesting. Figure I'd share it.

Saban quote:

“I'm really anxious to get back to the team being the most important thing,” Saban told CBSSports.com. “In the beginning … the first four or five years of the program … there was no doubt regardless of the player … the team was the most important thing.”

Does that mean the 2014 team lacked those qualities?

“I'm not saying that. I'm anxious to reemphasize, we didn't finish well the last two years,” Saban added. “That's when the distractions become greater for the guys whether they're going out for the draft, staying in. Seniors that are going to get drafted …

“Teams win championships, individuals don't.”

Last edited:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
“Teams win championships, individuals don't.”

I agree with this ...but individuals can distract the team from the focus of their efforts and prevent them from reaching their goals.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
From a highly reliable source I can't name, I'm hearing Cyrus Jones is a big leader, and that Kenyon Drake has left the immaturity of his earlier years behind.

I'm also hearing that Cornwell is trying to take on that mantle, and is about as effective as a redshirt freshman who has never played a down can be. Which is to say that the other players respect the effort...but to be a truly effective leader, you have to prove yourself under adversity, and he hasn't yet had that opportunity.

Still, as others have suggested, Reggie Ragland and A'Shawn Robinson are the bellcows.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Cornwell has stepped it up somewhat. He's working out with Chris Black and others. I don't know what Coker is doing, I'm hoping he's doing the same, as well Barnett. I expect Drake, Henry, Someone from WR to lead offense as a group, while on D.. the whole DL should be a leader with Cyrus Jones, Reggie Ragland and Eddie jackson. But sometime it can be a group leading as one, sometime it can be one person leading the group. In this case, its group effort. Cornwell/COker does need to take the rein.
From a highly reliable source I can't name, I'm hearing Cyrus Jones is a big leader, and that Kenyon Drake has left the immaturity of his earlier years behind.

I'm also hearing that Cornwell is trying to take on that mantle, and is about as effective as a redshirt freshman who has never played a down can be. Which is to say that the other players respect the effort...but to be a truly effective leader, you have to prove yourself under adversity, and he hasn't yet had that opportunity.

Still, as others have suggested, Reggie Ragland and A'Shawn Robinson are the bellcows.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Ryan Kelly will be a big leader on offense and Reggie on defense. I think leadership will not be a problem by the time summer is over.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Ya never really know who your leaders are until you get on those situations that require leadership. I have played sports and been in the military. Sometimes fans and even players mistake talent for leadership. Sometimes some of your leaders don't even start but provide leadership on the sideline. Leadership can develop in those whom you thought would never possess. I've seen it both in combat and on the field.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Cornwell has stepped it up somewhat. He's working out with Chris Black and others. I don't know what Coker is doing, I'm hoping he's doing the same, as well Barnett. I expect Drake, Henry, Someone from WR to lead offense as a group, while on D.. the whole DL should be a leader with Cyrus Jones, Reggie Ragland and Eddie jackson. But sometime it can be a group leading as one, sometime it can be one person leading the group. In this case, its group effort. Cornwell/COker does need to take the rein.
would be awesome to have multiple leaders step up on defense. We had that with that 'hateful group' a few years ago. WOuld love to see it again!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ryan Kelly should be the leader of the offense since he's entering his third year as the starter. Dom Jackson appears to be an OL that can be a leader - or at least scare the other guys enough to the point of not wanting to mess up and make him mad.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Ya never really know who your leaders are until you get on those situations that require leadership. I have played sports and been in the military. Sometimes fans and even players mistake talent for leadership. Sometimes some of your leaders don't even start but provide leadership on the sideline. Leadership can develop in those whom you thought would never possess. I've seen it both in combat and on the field.
I seem to remember a while back Saban doing some kind of system that identified those players that were already influential (basically knowing that the leaders were the guys other players listen to already, whether they know it or not) and then just informing them that they already were the leaders whether they liked it or not. The way the team is going to go depends on whether the player uses that influence in a good way or a detrimental way.

Sometimes you can manufacture a leader, but in most cases it is more organic for lack of better terms.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Ryan Kelly should be the leader of the offense since he's entering his third year as the starter. Dom Jackson appears to be an OL that can be a leader - or at least scare the other guys enough to the point of not wanting to mess up and make him mad.

Kelly is probably a given, I'd guess Coach Saban saw something special in him years ago.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.