Link: Proposal to Restrict SEC Transfers with 'Serious Misconduct' Could be Tabled

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't realize UGA even made this proposal.

Link

Most SEC presidents support Georgia's proposal to ban players from transferring within the conference if they have been disciplined for “serious misconduct,” but there are issues that could cause the vote to be postponed, South Carolina president Harris Pastides said Thursday.

Georgia's proposal stems in large part from Alabama giving defensive lineman Jonathan Taylor another chance after the Bulldogs dismissed him last summer following a felony domestic violence arrest. Taylor was soon dismissed by Alabama after another domestic violence arrest, this time in Tuscaloosa, Ala., although that accuser later recanted her accusation.

Under Georgia's SEC proposal, Taylor would not have been able to transfer to Alabama in the first place given his previous dismissal for “serious misconduct” at another school. The proposal defines “serious misconduct” as sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking, dating violence or other forms of physical violence. SEC presidents and chancellors took a straw poll Thursday prior to a formal vote Friday.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So does this mean no more Cam or Mettenbergers (they're still going to play college ball either way)? It's potentially extremely limiting...

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So does this mean no more Cam or Mettenbergers (they're still going to play college ball either way)? It's potentially extremely limiting...
The biggest issue is what do they difine as "serious misconduct"? The NFl apparently defines domestic violence, murder,and sexual assault as serious misconduct. Thats more or less a good definition of serious misconduct, but the NFL hurt themselves with not properly identifing what it is in writing and what the punishments are .Because now smoking weed and deflating balls aparently have the same punishment as domestic violence. If the SEC wants to go this route they need to define what serious offenses are and not leave it to vauge interpretations. Because people are going to find loopholes with it just like they find loopholes in the US Constitution. So they need to really make it clear and apparent of what it is and not trust it to everyone has common sense. Because common sense isnt exactly common.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The biggest issue is what do they difine as "serious misconduct"? The NFl apparently defines domestic violence, murder,and sexual assault as serious misconduct. Thats more or less a good definition of serious misconduct, but the NFL hurt themselves with not properly identifing what it is in writing and what the punishments are .Because now smoking weed and deflating balls aparently have the same punishment as domestic violence. If the SEC wants to go this route they need to define what serious offenses are and not leave it to vauge interpretations. Because people are going to find loopholes with it just like they find loopholes in the US Constitution. So they need to really make it clear and apparent of what it is and not trust it to everyone has common sense. Because common sense isnt exactly common.
The picture of the document posted above includes a definition for "serious misconduct". It includes sexual assault, domestic violence, and other forms of sexual violence.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The picture of the document posted above includes a definition for "serious misconduct". It includes sexual assault, domestic violence, and other forms of sexual violence.
So Mettenberger couldn't have gone to LSU, right? Or is "sexual battery" not sexual assault? It just seems like a minefield in terms of what this could constitute and take domestic violence, didn't we just have an Alabama player incorrectly arrested on that charge? It could be just two people arguing...

I get the idea and can't say I argue with the intent, but it seems like the SEC in their attempt to make themselves look better (like the self-imposed signing limit) might have just dug another hole for themselves.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah but they need to spell it out in greater detail . Domestic violence could be a loud arguement with your significant other that the police are called. I understand what they mean. But they are going to outline it further than a memo because there are many interpretations in sports when an edge can be acheived. Also they are going to have to discuss other criminal activity with regards of transfers because its going to be an issue as well.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Yeah but they need to spell it out in greater detail . Domestic violence could be a loud arguement with your significant other that the police are called. I understand what they mean. But they are going to outline it further than a memo because there are many interpretations in sports when an edge can be acheived. Also they are going to have to discuss other criminal activity with regards of transfers because its going to be an issue as well.
It should be spelled out in no uncertain terms. No grey area to go to court over.

I think ALL Physical Violence should be banned, whether gun, knife or fist. No second chances on physical violence. There is a line that should not be crossed and physically hurting people is that line to me.

Edit a day late: I should have said felony violence, not talking about misdemeanor.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Didn't realize UGA even made this proposal.

Link
It's hilarious that UGA of all schools did this IN RESPONSE to the Jonathan Taylor situation. I mean, it's not like that's the first guy from UGA to go elsewhere even for a violent act (to say nothing of non-violent ones a la Nick Marshall).

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He makes a really valid point, that I'm sure a lot of people on a soapbox don't want to hear. These kids are going to play college football, that's just all there is to it.

Now, the SEC has created something that from what I can tell doesn't really make sense, it doesn't create an actual standard in terms of what behavior from a player is tolerated, only this weird, if he gets kicked out, then he can't come back. Well, Aaron Hernandez didn't even get kicked out when he broke someone's jaw, so we have a system here which says sure, yeah, do what ever and if the school does nothing it's a non-issue. But, if they school does decide to throw the book at you, no other school can touch you. It just begs to be something else schools can manipulate, now if you want a guy gone, away from the SEC, make sure he's punished harshly, if you want to keep him? Never kick him out, just suspend him.

It's just a bad approach, period. I'm not sure what the best approach would be, but I'm just not sure it's the SEC's job to police this and add another self-imposed limitation. It's not coincidence that the SEC falls off their throne right around the time the signing limit starts to hurt, this will impact competitiveness but what does it actually help?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Dissecting Nick Saban’s response to SEC misconduct transfer policy

Sometimes it does not take much to get Alabama head coach Nick Saban going off on a tangent about any issue on his mind. He did just that today when asked about the SEC’s new policy banning transfers previously disciplined for serious misconduct. Asked if he was in favor of the new rule, Saban voiced his concerns regarding the rule and the limits it has on he and other coaches while dropping the names Cam Newton and Nick Marshall and once again suggesting each power conference should abide by the same set of rules. Maybe he lost his train of thought while answering the question?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Live at 9 with Roy S. Johnson: SEC's so-called "Jonathan Taylor rule" is itself a bit of a crime

I'm not here to fuel those flames. Alabama, Auburn and other SEC schools have all had their share of jersey numbers become mug shot numbers -- to the point that player behavior and how schools respond to those actions reached the highest levels of the SEC.

Last week, the league, sensitive to the spate of arrests and the overwhelming fan reaction, enhanced its own Bylaw 14.1.15.1 (d), which, pertaining to transfers, states that a student-athlete with less than two years of eligibility left can get financial aid, practice and compete if, "The student-athlete has not been subject to official university or athletics department disciplinary action at any time during enrollment at any previous collegiate institution (excluding limited discipline applied by a sports team)."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.