And now Dennis Hastert

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why would have have voted for a Mormon in 2008?

McCain is a Baptist, which is about as close as you can get to Presbyterian theologically on the conservative side (sans the whole immersion-sprinkling thing of course).
Dang, I keep messing up. First confusing the Bay state and now getting the election years wrong. Romney was 2012, long after Grandpa had died.

He wa spretty staunch Presbyterian. He would attend a Presbyterian church when he visited us instead of going to the Methodist church with us.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I saw the light, I saw the light
No more darkness, no more night
Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight
Praise the Lord I saw the light

Just like a blind man I wandered along
Worries and fears I claimed for my own
Then like the blind man that God gave back his sight
Praise the Lord I saw the light

Come out of the darkness TW!! :)
No thanks.
My father is functionally retarded now. Literally. He is actually proud of the fact that he hopes to be the last guy to die before the Federal pyramid scheme collapses. That is "winning" to him.
When I ask him what about his grandchildren, who will be stuck paying for his benefits, he says, "Tough. They can fend for themselves."
I love my country and my children more than that.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This is hilarious to my mind.

Denny Hastert wound up House Speaker because of dissatisfaction with Newt Gingrich and the failure to take huge control of the Congress in the 1998 mid-terms. Gingrich had an ongoing affair with the woman who later became his third wife. Gingrich resigned and was replaced - temporarily - by Bob Livingston, who immediately resigned when it came out he had had multiple adulterous affairs during his tenure. Hastert became Speaker because he was "clean" and going to "restore integrity" that Gingrich lacked.

And now years later we find out Hastert was the dirtiest one of the three.

Say what you want about the sexual indiscretions of Gingrich and Livingston - heck, Bill Clinton for that matter.........at least they were involved with consenting adults.

But guess what? Hastert will probably die before he ever gets sentenced or at least serves very long.
Was Juanita Broaddrick a consenting adult?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pretty dumb to make multiple 50k withdrawals, then belatedly switch to < 10k's.
I thought that anyone who had that much money and was over the age of 19 knew about the $10K limit. Takes a long time to withdraw 3.5 million, $9.9K at a time. This kid had to have had some really serious evidence. Even though only one more has come forward at this time, I think we can look for more...

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Say what you want about the sexual indiscretions of Gingrich and Livingston - heck, Bill Clinton for that matter.........at least they were involved with consenting adults.
It depends on whether you believe Juanita Broaddrick's testimony or not. But clinton could very well be a rapist.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The odd thing here is that Hastert isn't being prosecuted for what he did while a HS coach, or for numerous 50k withdrawals, but for intentionally making sub 10K withdrawals afterwards and then lying about it to the FBI.
Also, person A is probably sweating it out waiting for the hammer to fall.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
The odd thing here is that Hastert isn't being prosecuted for what he did while a HS coach, or for numerous 50k withdrawals, but for intentionally making sub 10K withdrawals afterwards and then lying about it to the FBI.
It appears what he did as a HS coach is beyond charges per statute of limitations. It's not against the law to withdraw $50k. He lied to the FBI (about the reason for the $50k withdrawals) and then restructured his withdrawals to intentionally avoid further legal scrutiny - both against the law (though relatively minor).

Quite a few folks believe it he weren't Denny Hastert former Republican Speaker, no charges would have be brought, at all.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
It is odd that structuring in and of itself would be a crime.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Quite a few folks believe it he weren't Denny Hastert former Republican Speaker, no charges would have be brought, at all.
probably correct, but personally I think since old Denny is so proud of passing the Patriot Act that he should be held fully accountable under it. Don't even care if this is being done by D's to spite R's and no other reason.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It is odd that structuring in and of itself would be a crime.
Welcome to the world of BSA / AML and the PATRIOT Act. Sizing cash withdrawals with the intent of circumventing the reporting requirements is very definitely a federal crime.

You do a series of them, with the money going for illegal purposes, and you now have two crimes -- the deed you're covering up and the structuring.

Depending on exactly how he did it, there might even be repercussions for the bank. Yes, your bank can be liable for not acting when you do something suspicious.

On the other hand, the bank may actually have filed a SAR (Suspicious Activity Report), and gotten this whole thing going.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Structuring laws have been around since the 70's. Darn drug runners.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...eral-structuring-laws-are-smurfin-ridiculous/

Most structuring cases stem from a 1970 law calledthe Bank Secrecy Act, which requires banks to report any deposits, withdrawals, or transfers of more than $10,000. The law has since been revised several times, but generally it’s intended to make it easier for the government to track tax cheats, money launderers, illegal gambling operations and other criminal enterprises.

Historically, the anti-structuring statute has been used by prosecutors as an ancillary charge with other accusations of nefarious behavior, such as drug dealing or terrorism. And it still is. But over the last few years, prosecutors have started to use it more regularly as a standalone charge—an observation noted by defense attorneys that Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod Rosenstein confirms.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think something's something's being missed here. Yes, whatever happened between him and and the kid is beyond the statute of limitations (although various courts have found ways to extend that). However the extortion and accompanying coverup are not...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I think something's something's being missed here. Yes, whatever happened between him and and the kid is beyond the statute of limitations (although various courts have found ways to extend that). However the extortion and accompanying coverup are not...
and now we know, or at least know more

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/prosecutors-urge-prison-sentence-dennis-hastert-n553331

Justice Department prosecutors said Friday that former House speaker Dennis Hastert abused four young boys when he was their wrestling coach, and urged that he be ordered to serve up to six months in prison when he's sentenced later this month.

While Hastert has pleaded guilty to a financial violation, prosecutors said, "the actions at the core of this case took place not on the defendant's national public stage but in his private one-on-one encounters in an empty locker room and a motel room with minors that violated the special trust between those young boys and their coach."

For the first time, government lawyers said Hastert made payments to a man who was sexually abused at age 14 by Hastert when he was the boy's wrestling coach.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
so it turns out, according to one of the stories that Denny had a lazy boy recliner in the locker room so he could watch the boys shower.

Another Evangelical Hypocrite from the GOP, if he were still in the house he would probably be pushing for bathroom bills to "protect" people from trans folk all while being a bathroom predator himself

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.